data charges on smartphone

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Naughtius Maximus, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    OK! This is beginning to piss me off.

I relented and bought myself one of these things, (for some damned reason I can't remember now:mad:), and I KEEP getting charged amounts of money for no reason that I can establish.

I bought it cash on a pay-as-you-go tariff and put the minimum amount of £10 on. I made one phone call which cost 20p and now, after only 3 days, I've spent another £2.76 and I haven't DONE anything with it apart from browse the web using my wifi router which it connects to OK!!!!

It's an LG-P350, (Optimus ME I believe is it's other name), with Android 2.2.2 and it's got pre-loaded apps on including weather checking and something else. I suppose they might be using the data browsing but, as I say, it says it's connected to the wireless router so WHY should it be using any data roaming charges???

It's not the money it's the principle of the thing. On my old mobile phone £10PAYG would last me 2-3 YEARS on account of me being incredibly mean and never ringing anyone. At this rate I'm going to have gone through my £10 by the end of next week and I'm not even CALLING ANYONE!!! :mad:

Anyway, if anyone else has one of these things, (or similar), can you point me in the right direction.

2. KesOne

KesOne BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Can you track your data usage? Over the phone app/website/text message/or just call customer service.

While youre on wifi disable mobile network connection and see if your data usage increases which I believe it shouldnt.

3. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I have my iPhone warn me when I'm close to my monthly data allowance Can you do something similar with an Android app?

Anyway - do you have apps running in the background when you're away from your router? You might want to do some task-killing when you leave home.

4. KesOne

KesOne BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Seems pay as you go works differently so I doubt they'll send the warning message about data allowance.

Task killers are a battery drain more than anything.

But he could also check accounts and sync, to uncheck automatic syncs and edit intervals. Edit email accounts update intervals. I think GPS also uses data. And lastly, the weather app/widget update interval.

5. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah, I just thought it might be good to make sure nothing's running in the background and using data.

And I agree - might want to turn off access to GPS and disable any sort of push notification.