Dash offseason: Rebuild, or no?

Discussion in 'Houston Dash' started by SiberianThunderT, Aug 18, 2014.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well the last time I heard Cuellar's name come up was from Monica Gonzalez (I think). It seems the Fed is dragging its feet on getting her knee done.

2. pcannon

pcannon New Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We haven't seen how Bock will add to the team, but you can already see that the philosophy here is the same as the Dynamo philosophy of "build a solid midfield and you don't have to go retain the top striker in the league." Carli Lloyd is consistent with this, but losing Becky Edwards and Whitney Engen was an expensive trade. I suspect the ability of Carli Lloyd to "put butts in the seats" was a big factor in that trade. Now we've added Rachael Axon--another midfielder. And remember, we still haven't gotten to see what Bock adds to the midfield.

I worry about Kyle's future there with all these midfielders coming to the field next year. However, I think losing her is a mistake. When she first joined the team, she played with a fire like nobody else. She was a terror in the midfield that the other teams had to avoid and respect. Much of that was lost as the season went on. I don't know if they coached her to tone it down or what, but I think it is always good to have an aggressive defensive-minded mid to mix things up when necessary. She's proven she has it, but she needs a coach who will push her to bring it back.

I like our forwards and would struggle to cut anyone. McCarty doesn't get enough playing time if you as me. I've seen her burn down the sidelines up close and she is fast. Ella Masar is a scrapper whose dealt with some injuries but she's got too much sheer drive to let them stop her. Ohai is just fun to watch. She's young and coming into her own. Henderson played for Randy Waldrum at Notre Dame and had a stellar career.
    Frankly, Jordan Jackson should be a forward. She's very aggressive. I wouldn't be shocked to see her moved up. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them swap Ochs for Kyle in positions. Ochs was drafted as a forward and switched to defense. Ochs is one of those players who can play anywhere but goalie. You get Kyles aggression on the d-line and Ochs skills in the mid, you may have that solid midfield with subs philosophy in action.

3. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Bock hasn't had an injury free season in forever. I wouldn't count on her being there all season, if I were the Dash.

I would... the reason she was traded from Seattle to Boston? She didn't want to play defense. The reason she was traded from Boston to Houston? She didn't want to play defense. Notice a pattern?

Don't forget that Kyle and Lloyd won't be there all season. Houston has to be prepared for when they are gone for the World Cup.

4. pcannon

pcannon New Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh I agree that Kyle may not like playing defense, but its where she belongs if you can light that aggressive fire. Heck, all of her scores for Seattle came as a defender on set plays. I think she went there as a midfielder and they recognized she needed to be on defense and switched her, right? She may not like it, but that's where her instinct are.

5. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I think you are correct on all points. I'm just not sure she'll have the right attitude about it if she's told that she has to play there.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I could see Kyle going elsewhere...again...They have a similar player in McFarlane who is happy to defend and while Kyle is free, u have to figure McFarlane is playing for the minimum.

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Seattle might be an option. I know she still maintain a good relationship with the front office and we could use another body in the middle. I won't be thrilled about such a signing though.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I could see Moscato not coming back as well considering her recent history of injuries. Maybe she gives it one more year and retires after the Olympics.

9. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Houston front office isnt having what I consider a landmark off season. Now Im starting to worry about the #1 pick.

Recap
    Waived Sousa to free an INT spot - would have been useful while NT players away
    Traded Engen, Edwards and 3rd round pick for Lloyd - I like Lloyd but too much and worse now that WNY is having a fire sale.
    Sign Axom (INT) - basically seems they cleared an INT spot to use it on a reserve player
    Trade Romero for Cross - Cross is an upgrade at CBs but over paid again.

12. apog

apog Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Cypress
    In email to Dash STH today, Brian Ching mentioned "...along with our plan to take Morgan Brian as the number one draft pick...". Does that increase or decrease the worry level?

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Oh I wasnt concerned they wouldnt want Brian, simply that theyd write the wrong name on the slip of paper and end up drafting the back up GK from Whatsamatta U. :)

lunatica repped this.
  14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The rumor is they r signing two more internationals...one on the front row and one in the back. Hopefully they r top draw players.

15. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Fingers crossed because their trades so far left me slightly confused. I'm hoping we're gonna find out something more from today's Keeper Notes podcast.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I doubt u get names. Orange in the Oven was just talking position. I doubt Waldrum dropped more than that. Also, props to the coach for showing up at the Keeper Notes watch party for the WC draw. Stuff like that does as much to sell the team as unnamed players from Spotsylvania.

17. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    From that podcast:
    The two international signings to be announced this week. One is "a proven goalscorer", the second is "an exciting young defender" according to Ching.

18. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    The influx of Brazilians to NWSL continues. They must have more internationals in the league than Mexico by now?
    http://nwslsoccer.com/home/851833.html

Dash sign Rosana and Poliana. Rosana, 32, is well known to American fans, having played in WPS and featured in lots of USWNT-Brazil encounters over the years. Poliana, 23, is less-well known but is an outside back, presumably will replace Romero. To clear roster space, the Dash waived Ohale. Too bad.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's too bad they didnt make roster provisions for WC. A player like Ohale who likely wouldnt have been available until July could have been moved to an inactive list. A lot could happen injury wise between now and July. It seems a shame to have to make a pre-emptive cut.

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This is a good move for Brazil. They put their players in the NWSL and then they can play in the Brazilian league right after. It also keeps a bunch of them in the right time zones for WC and Olympics

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ill tell u why Im hugely disappointed in Houston and it has nothing to do with Nick. One of the things that should be a strength for the Dash is Waldrum being more in tune to the college game than all the other NWSL coaches. If anything they should be looking for picks...sigh.

22. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Maybe he decided the player he wanted at #10 would still be available at #13 and the player he wanted at #28 would still be available at #31?

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The positive for the Dash is at least they got 3 for 2 this time. The negative depends on what they r looking for in the draft. If its a CB thy might get the same player at #13. If it's best player those four spots could mean the difference between adding a starter or a bench player.

24. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013