Dash 2017

Discussion in 'Houston Dash' started by ricardo17, Dec 5, 2016.

1. ricardo17

ricardo17 Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Time for a new thread.

2. ricardo17

ricardo17 Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So will the Dash trade the 15th pick or use it? Who will they pick?

3. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to feel out the pre-pre-season roster. These are known players, whatever their status may be. Am I missing anybody?

Player, Twitter Instagram

Forwards
    (6):
    Kealia Ohai, @KealiaOhai @kealiamae
    Janine Beckie, @janinebeck4 @janinebeckie4
    Rachel Daly, RachelDaly3 @racheldaly3
    Melissa Henderson, @Mhenderson6 @melissahenderson21
    Stephanie Ochs, @stephochs7 @s_ochs7
    Nichelle Prince, (Rookie) @nichelleprince7 @nprince7

Midfielders (7):
    Carli Lloyd, @CarliLloyd @carlilloyd
    Morgan Brian, @moeebrian @moebrian
    Andressa (Andressa Cavalari Machry), NA NA
    Denise O'Sullivan, @OSullivanDenise @deniseosullivan100
    Amber Brooks @abrooks22 @abrooks22
    Caity Heap @caity_heap @caity_heap
    Cami Privett @CamiPrivett @camiprivett

Defenders (6):
    Carri Roccaro @cari_roccaro @cari_roccaro
    Poliana (Poliana Barbosa Medeiros), @poliana_13 @poliana_13
    Bruna Benites (New Signee) @brunabenites3 @brunabenites
    Janine Van Wyk (New Signee) @Janinevanwyk5 NA
    Claire Falknor (New Signee) NA @cfalknor
    Erin Smith (Rookie) NA @esm0oth

Goalkeepers (3):
    Lydia Williams @lydsaussie @lydsaussie13
    Bianca Henninger @Beeyoncs @bhenninger
    Jane Campbell (Rookie) @jane_campbell1 @janecampbell_

The Houston Dash currently have 22 players, with the need to only trim one player before the start of the season, & one more before Carli Lloyd returns in June. Carli Lloyd does not count against the roster limit until she returns.

You can make a more than reasonable argument that, of all teams in the NWSL at this moment, the Dash are the best off. A clear cut starting 11 and decent depth, including several players capable of moving around to fill needs.

At first glance the most noticeable concern is wideback. Trading away Moros has the left side of the defense with the biggest hole on the team. The starter isn't as clear cut as the rest of the team, never mind depth. There are two forwards in Daly & Ochs capable and experienced at playing wideback, but I don't recall either of them playing down the left. Erin Smith is a versatile attacker & defender, but her highlights package from Rutgers shows her playing exclusively down the right flank.

Claire Falknor appears to be the best option at this point, with Waldrum quoted as saying " She’s very skillful, with the ability to play anywhere across the back line,...". In addition, Falknor has experience playing down the left flank from her time with the Gators.

My starting 11 (left to right, front to back) using the successful 4-3-1-2 the Dash finished the season with: (Without Carli Lloyd)

Forwards, in wide positions as if it was a typical front 3, not a tandem 2.
    Kealia Ohai
    Janine Beckie

False 9, essential filling the role of center forward but with advanced depth.
    Rachel Daly

Center Midfield. These positions are meant to be as fluid & interchangeable as possible.
    Andressa
    Morgan Brian
    Denise O'Sullivan

Back 4
    Claire Falknor
    Janine Van Wyk
    Bruna Benites
    Poliana

Goal Keeper
    Lydia Williams

4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I have 17 players under contract + the two (expected) allocated US players + 1 allocated Canadian.

I haven't seen that these two have been signed.

I'd be surprised if they kept all three keepers. Though, I guess now that Portland has acquired a backup, there aren't any teams with an opening for a GK... so I don't know what they are gonna do.

5. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I wasn't going for anything official, just who were... "known" entities.

6. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    That's cool. I was just saying, these are what's official (if anybody cares). ;)

7. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Additional "known" invitees from the pre-season roster.

Forwards
    Amber Munerlyn @AmberrrM_ @amberm

Defenders
    Megan Crosson @megcrosson @megcrosson
    Jaylyn Odermann @Jaylyn_Odie @jaylyn_odie

Megan Crosson the name to watch.

8. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I'm curious if they completely waive B or find her a loan somewhere as I would think Williams starts this year and Campbell you look to be the future of your team. Also, notice Heap is listed as a non-roster invitee. Was a waive announced with her?

Also, I know she does media stuff and probably is a min salary player but I think its time for Henderson to go.

Edit: nm regarding Heap. He said it was a mistake in a follow up tweet. She's on the current roster.

9. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, 2 more mistakes on the roster, or rather, 2 names omitted :

Goalkeeper Lauren Watson and forward Anna Maria Gilbertson

10. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lauren Watson not but 6 days ago announced she had signed with an Icelandic club.

11. ricardo17

ricardo17 Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    On the article Dash released, Anna Maria Gilbertson is shown as a full contract player. Is that a typo or did she actually sign?

12. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it's a mistake. Lauren Watson is not even listed in the article... she is also an invitee.

13. Dashboard_confessional

Jun 5, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nothing to surprising about final roster. Personally going to miss Henninger, however...

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2017/04/10/houston-dash-announce-2017-nwsl-roster-0

Goalkeepers (2): Jane Campbell, Lydia Williams

Defenders (6): Bruna Benites(INTL-BRA), Claire Falknor, Cami Privett, Poliana(INTL-BRA), Cari Roccaro, Janine Van Wyk (INTL-RSA),

Midfielders (6): Andressa (INTL-BRA), Morgan Brian (FED-USA), Amber Brooks, Caity Heap, Carli Lloyd (FED-USA, OOM), Denise O’Sullivan (INTL-IRE),

Forwards (7): Janine Beckie (FED-CAN), Rachel Daly (INTL-ENG), Sarah Hagen, Melissa Henderson, Kealia Ohai, Nichelle Prince (FED-CAN), Stephanie Ochs

14. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Early prediction: 8th place

15. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Figured we shouldn't carry on in a prediction thread.

Losing the locker room surprises me to hear. The whole "he's such a nice & likable guy" & such. That also makes the fact that he is GM now all the more weird. Why give that to him if he lost confidence from the players?

That being said, I had heard about the packed schedule preventing practice, & that would have had the same impact regardless of locker room status.

The situation with B was stupid beyond belief. It wouldn't surprise me if he's lost the team already because of it. What did you mean by "at each other" ... on social media?

16. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I feel like this year is basically a "let's just look to next year" year. Like they drafted Campbell because it is likely Williams isnt back next year. But then you need a #2 next year since there was no way B wasnt the odd one out. That it took so long to waive her I think looks bad.
    I see Daly going back to England next year if she wants to become a fixture on the England NT. So you pick up Hagen and Prince to fill voids. I'm hoping both her and Ohai tear it up after she was left off Euro squad and Ohai wants to prove last year wasn't a fluke. Maybe they become another NC that just outscores opponents.
    I dont think Waldrum is the coach to create that team. Does Waldrum finally leave if this year goes poorly. Making him GM seems to opposite move of a coach in his last chance.
    On top of this. Regular 3pm games in Houston heat I just don't see going well. Gonna wear on the team. I don't think its an advantage over visiting teams who dont have to constantly play in that. Especially the teams not hosting any 4pm games and get to have mostly 6-7pm games. And that move by the league likely affects the bottom line for attendence.

goaleemama and DynamoManiac repped this.
  17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I heard during the broadcast yesterday mention of the sit-down at the end of last season to address some of the issues raised here, but the announcers also said a lot of those issues seem to have been dealt with.

Glad to have at least opened with a win.

19. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Not too bad a start. I said this on twitter, but I refuse to look too much into this win after last year's good start and then disappointing turnout.

I feel like NT Beckie is very different from club Beckie. Not sure if Dash playing style doesn't work with her or what. I want her to succeed so I hope a full season resolves this.

Plus depending how long Moe is out, trying to work her back in will be interesting.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's finally the full game replay of last week's match
    http://www.nwslsoccer.com/games/info/4fjqktddhw818pe9n652l0jqh/

while it was a rather impressive score line, they still got to worry about their new CB's, both Bruna & van Wyk showed that their excellent tacklers(well, especially the latte) they still had trouble clearing the balls out and passed back into the dangerous center area. Playing from the back is never easy. If future opponents due their homework, their going to start zeroing in with a lot of strong pressure on those two CB's, Got the feeling a lot giving up easy goals in the future, unless those two don't improve.
    Hopefully when she's back, Brian takes over for O'Sullivan (instead of Beckie or Brooks). Just think O'Sullivan is a tad slow for the American game.Though same can be said for all three of the Brazilians/or at least didn't seem to be at their best in the first game of the season

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With van Wyk's latte tackles, she certainly is a Star who bucks the trend.

22. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Disagree on a few things. O'Sullivan and Andressa are not quite as fast as other NWSL midfielders (especially Andressa), but doesn't really matter as they are both technically sound enough that they are able to turn out of trouble. Unlike, say, Camila who was never up to the pace of the league.

From my standpoint, as long as Lloyd is gone then Brooks and O'Sullivan are must starts in the midfield. The worst stretch the Dash had last year was with Brian, Andressa and Brooks as the starters. It wasn't until O'Sullivan was moved into the lineup that things started to turn around. Brian and Andressa are too similar as players. They fill the same space, as much as Brian fancies herself an attacking midfielder, she isn't. End result, you didn't have enough of an offensive presence out of mf.

You can move Brian or Andressa back to the pivot (which is what Waldrum did when he began starting O'Sullivan at the expense of Brooks), but you give up a lot defensively. Once O'Sullivan was slotted in last season, she was a true attacking midfielder and you started to see a forward push out of mf which opened up space for the forwards.

23. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    So Henninger was waived? How did I miss that? And at the last minute. That really sucks.

24. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I'll be at the game on Saturday in MD. I sure hope things go better. [emoji51]

CoachJon repped this.
  25. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got season tickets in MD and having to miss first 2 home games :(