Dash 2016

Discussion in 'Houston Dash' started by kernel_thai, Nov 22, 2015.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Guess it's time to update the thread

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #3 SiberianThunderT, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    Interesting development, for sure... I wonder if Mexico might grant her allocation status. Would likely be a pay increase for her, and would free up cap room for Houston too.

=edit=
    While we're on the subject of Houston and Mexican allocations, I wonder if they might try to help their defense and get Sierra from Boston; Lord knows how easy it might be with the kind of deals Boston has been making recently. (I still think it was incredibly stupid of Houston to give Ari Romero away.)

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It might be interesting to see if Washington has a role for Romero. She didnt play at all last year and the coach who brought her in isnt there any more.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm torn on that... Remember that the only reason she didn't play was because Mexico never made any of their players available, or at least not until it was already time for the playoffs. So could be very easy to see her playing this year if Mexico doesn't hoarde their players, especially since Gabarra seemed fine playing Ocampo when she was available for Sky Blue. Also, since I'm in DC, might be nice seeing her play regularly... OTOH, I want to see Houston's back line shored up, and they clearly need defenders more than DC does - not to mention all of Romero's career NWSL minutes have still so far only been with the Dash.

6. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    What were the circumstances with Noyola and the Dash for 2015? Is she completely out of contract with them now? Seems most of the Mexican allocations are questionable as pretty much no one played in 2015 due to the length of how long they were unavailable. Sucks basically to lose a "freebie" player due to the limited roster space a team has to work with.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well it may come down to whether Gabarra likes Romero or Dydasco. I doubt Reynolds, Krieger and Church r getting displaced.

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    One of them is doing well in Australia right now and the other I'm not sure where she is. Where is Romero right now?

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Mexico was basically only allocating players that were specifically requested by the teams and Houston didnt request Noyola so I guess she could be allocated anywhere. If memory serves only 4 Mexican players were requested: Sierra, Ocampo, Perez, & Romero

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    She is in camp with the Mexican NT...they r headed to the Brasilia tourney in December.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I know that but before than. What did she do after the world cup and now?

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    IIRC many of Mexico's players simply weren't playing. I remember Cuellar telling the Equalizer that he was a bit frustrated that much of his team would be going into OGQ cold, which I think is probably why he got them to head down to Brasillia to shake off the rust.

Also, the Pan-Am games were between the WWC and now.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yeah they basically went from residency to WC to PanAm. Then when August got here teams either didnt want to alter their roster at that late date (and I dont blame them) or it was decided that the players could use the time off. Maybe a combination of both.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Dash r supposedly looking to add a hold up forward. Wonder if Stengel is being considered.

15. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They did not want to bring her back and nobody else wanted her so she is out of the league.

"Freebie" comes with drawbacks in a World Cup or Olympics year given you can only replace those players with amateur players. Might be more demand for the Mexican players in 2017, but likely still only a small handful that teams want in 2016 until Mexico is defintely out of Olympic qualifying.

16. Dash Fan

Dash Fan New Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who are or should the Houston Dash be looking at in the up coming draft? Rank the top 5 possible picks. Thanks

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Unless something unforeseen falls to them their top priority is one of the several quality center backs. While it is likely Sonnett goes one or two they still should get a top defender

Defenders
    Sonnett, Virginia
    Roccaro, Notre Dame
    Reed, Rutgers
    Coburn, Virginia Tech

Possibilities for their #6 pick really depends on who falls to them. They could use help in the midfield who wont be going to the Olympics so they may target that but the draft isnt strong for midfielders. They r also looking for a forward who can hold up play but not sure they want a college player in that role. It may simply come down to best player available at #6 regardless of position. They may also try and trade the pick to get someone at a position they r targeting.

Some players who likely go in the first round in no particular order
    D Sonnett, Virginia
    D Roccaro, Notre Dame
    D Reed, Rutgers
    D Coburn, Virginia Tech
    F Doniak, Virginia
    F/M Rodriguez Penn St INT
    M Meier, Virginia Tech
    M/D Bowen, N. Carolina INT

Dash Fan and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  18. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    #18 LucyFearsTheMorningStar, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Dash have had 2 uneventful ND alums. If Roccaro is available would third time be the charm?
    Would love to maybe see Reed taken if still available.

As stands we've got the following ahead of Dash in the draft.
    Portland 1 & 2 - Likely to take Sonnet and probably another position if they don't trade one of these
    SkyBlue 3 - I honestly have no clue about this team. Seem like they might need a forward
    Seattle 4 - Need to replace Cox so likely go after a defender

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ive seen it suggested Seattle might use Goransson in Cox' spot but with the Rapinoe injury they may need her up farther. They can also play Reed on the right and shift the line.

20. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    True, I kind of forgot about Pinoe. That might have them looking at Roccaro who seems to have history at pretty much every position. Useful if they can get someone who can fill in either midfield or defender.

21. ricardo17

ricardo17 Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Would be a nice add, would she be a US allocation?

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    No

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You never know! We just have to wait and see when the allocations are announced. I agree it's unlikely, especially since she hasn't even been called up to the senior team like some others have, but it's still a possibility since she is already a U23 player.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  25. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "... an equal opportunity for the women to shine.":)