Dash 2015

Discussion in 'Houston Dash' started by MRAD12, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Henderson?

2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    With that in mind, I wouldn't (re)sign any internationals until after the expansion draft. ;)

Honestly, there's not even 10 players on the team that I'd worry about protecting. The only choice, assuming it's got the same rules as last time and teams with more than two US allocated players must leave one unprotected, is which one do you choose? And it's fairly obvious who Houston won't leave unprotected... so that means Klingenberg is unprotected again.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As I said in the post, if Im cutting loose the Brazilians then Id add Ochs and Henderson but if I can have Andressa both before and after OG then Id go with with Andressa and take my chances leaving Henderson unprotected, The two Brazilians seem to come as a package,

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I would expect Houston tries to make some sort of deal with Orlando to keep Kling but yeah, she has the short straw. As to resigning players, I believe the roster rules require u to have at least 18 signed players so it makes it harder to outfox the system.

5. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #780 holden, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    I don't expect that is in effect during the offseason, only during the season.

Well, if Orlando wants any allocated players at all, I don't expect they would make any deal. The number of teams with more than 2 US allocated players is rather small nowadays: KC, Houston, Washington, and maybe Chicago (if Chalupny is allocated and returns next year, though I expect if she is allocated Chicago will still protect Press and Johnston and Chalupny will just pull a Brian Ching).

I expect KC will protect A-Rod and Sauerbrunn and Washington will protect Krieger and Dunn. Which means Orlando's options will pretty much be between: O'Reilly, Klingenberg, and Harris. And maybe Barnhart and Chalupny if they are playing/still allocated.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ive seen a lot of people say theyd protect Krieger but I dont get it. At 30 she is hardly the type of player u build around. I wouldnt be surprised at all if she retires after the Olympics. Also, if ur gonna take an allocated player at outside back, wouldnt u take Kling who is four years younger? Also if u leave Harris unprotected their is no way they dont take her. They need a keeper and I believe she is from Florida.

When Houston went thru this there was a rule that prevented teams from simply cutting players before the expansion draft and then resigning them after. The other problem is if u leave players u want unsigned they can be signed by other teams including Orlando.

7. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well, I'm not stating my personal opinion. Just what I expect would happen. If I was gonna pick an outside back from Washington it would be Dydasco... I think everyone knows that at this point. ;)

But you may be right about Krieger... Washington and Krieger could pull the Bring Ching move as well. But again, that would just limit the pool of available US allocations further, thus making my point that Orlando wouldn't likely cut a deal to not trade for Klingenberg even more likely.

There's a difference between that and just not resigning someone when their contract is up for renewal.

Sure, but the players don't necessarily have to sign with those other teams.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This is Camila and Andressa first year with the Dash so they might have contracts with a team option. Of course they may not as we get very little contract info. Another factor is I think if u take a USNT player u cant take any more players from that team. So a decision between Krieger and Klingenberg might also be influenced by what else each team has for the taking.

9. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yeah, the "standard" contract seems to be 1 year with a 1 year option. But teams can decline that option.

That's a good point. In that case, I think Houston is even more at risk of losing Klingenberg... because there's not much beyond the 10 protected players I'd be interested in if I were Orlando.

10. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Seriously, I'm starting to think that the real reasons for some to keep Henderson have nothing to do with soccer.

11. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    It looks like Klingenberg will be the victim of NWSL Expansion draft once again. It might be different this time compared to when she escaped Boston Breakers.

12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Orlando might be good for her as I don't think she ever took to Houston. She certainly haven't played her best soccer there. And if Ochs can return healthy and with Chapman, I think Houston will not miss her as those 2 are capable.

13. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    I agree that Dash won't miss her that much, but I wouldn't be so sure she will be so thrilled to play for another expansion team. I got impression she felt pretty comfortable living in Houston, but maybe that was the problem. Who knows?

14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Well unfortunately for Kling, she's the odd man out. Though if she don't want to play in Orlando what about DC? Because again if teams can only protect 2 US allocated players and with Ashlyn with one foot already in FL, I can see DC leaving her unprotected. Which means Orlando can draft Kling and than trade her to DC for Krieger. I think everyone wins.

15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    The Spirit don't really need an outside back, though. That's why Krieger's been tried nearly everywhere else. If they could get a quality forward in exchange for Krieger that would be better.

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Are there any out there that won't be protected? The only I can think of is Mathias who might be left unprotected by Seattle. Unless Parsons can try again to get Harding, I don't see who else there is

17. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Portland is probably the only one with an overabundance, that will leave some unprotected. Maybe KC would leave Hagen unprotected? I dunno.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Hagen was unprotected last time and Houston didnt bite

It will be interesting to see if Orlando (Orlando Lionesses SC seems to be the early leader for name) takes the Florida route in drafting players. Certainly a lot of FSU and U of Florida players out there.

I think it would be very tough on the Spirit fan base to lose both Harris and Krieger. If Harris is destined to return to Flo I could maybe see it the following year after Krieger retires.

My favorite name for the new franchise is the Orlando Bloom. Color me traditional. :)

Assuming Orlando doesnt get gifted the top draft pick the leader in the club house is likely Cheyna Williams.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Repped just for the Bloom comment. X-D

Though maybe we should stick to talking about Houston here...

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    While the tangent probably is on me, we took this turn because I posted a Dash protected player list.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Indeed; @Blaze20 was the one to start spinning us off the Houston focus, with a DC comment. X-D

22. ricardo17

ricardo17 Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Houston needs at least one quality CB, at least one healthy DM, and an efficent striker, also an AM for when Lloyd and Brian.
    In other words, Houston needs help everywhere!
    IMHO Jackson and McCarty are not worthy of roster spaces.

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    #798 kernel_thai, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    If they protect Henderson and can find a way to keep Klingenberg out of Orlando, then McCarty might go in the expansion draft. I wouldnt be surprised to see Orlando cast the net for several FSU/Florida products.

24. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yeah, cause that has worked out well for teams so far...

25. ricardo17

ricardo17 Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Maybe they lose Pressley too.