Das Reboot and the Road to UEFA Nations League & EC2020

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    WC blunder also means we have to get our reputation back. Now we are a farce, we are lucky to even have gotten 3 pts at this WC. Very close to have ended up with only 1 pts.

not only that but now, no team will fear us anymore.

this is 98-04 all over again, losing to Croatia and then bombing in the GS at EC00 made us looked down upon that no one expected anything in 02. Then we reached the final only to bomb in EC04, which only made things worse to the point that no one expected anything in WC06. That WC at home, only reason we reached the SF is because Pekermen made stupid changes and because Germany injured Argentina's 1st keeper.

someone mentioned 2010 WC, that was the tourney where we got our cred back for real after 3rd place in 06 and 2nd place in 08. Trashing Australia, England and Argentina, I believe to their biggest WC defeat in their histories. And playing nice attractive attacking football.

it's nice to go into EC2020 with less expectation but it won't be easy. And I just hope we go back to deep runs and don't end up like those early 00s era....

Minttunator repped this.
  2. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree that Pep's system is not possession for the sake of possession - there is an end product, his teams always have pace, great movement and players able to take on opponents. Look at Man City's forward line with Sane, Sterling, Jesus etc they have lots of pace and dynamism and score a ton of goals.

My problem is the NT's possession system under Low has become stagnant and too one paced, I want to see a pacy forward line of Werner, Brandt and Sane with quick interchanges/movement and a high energy press all over the pitch. That would be exciting.

Rosebud, nekkibasara and Ger90 repped this.
  3. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    What’s weird is that Germany were so strong going forward against teams parking the bus in the last euro’s....
    Looked strong playing a backtrio in the CC except from when the personal mistakes from Mustafi happened or losing the ball easy in build up play

And for some reasons, Löw doesn’t do this in this WC and insists on that his kamikaze tactics with having a high line consisting of the two CB’s and sending everyone else forward would win games...?

I’ll give Neuer credits because he was the best for Germany
    Kimmich for genuinely trying and work his ass off for the team whereas the likes of Kroos and Khedira do not
    Hummels, Boateng, Rüdiger and Süle for actually defending good enough for Germany to advance from this group under those circumstances
    Werner and Reus for bringing something to the attacking game
    And Rudy

Özil, Müller and the rest of the field players deserve Note 6 from me
    And I don’t know whether Jogi’s attacking system sucks or if they’re just out of shape

BorisG, Ger90 and Minttunator repped this.
  4. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

5. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am not sure what the team executed was what Low wanted. I get the impression that he was frustrated with the way the team executed his game plan, especially in the first game. What I believe Low wanted, and to a degree was what was executed in 2010, 2014 was a fast transition. Instead the team got into the habit of playing a possession style, no penetrating passes, no runs through the gaps, slow on the ball. What I blame Low for is that I believe he knew there were problems and didn't take actions to enforce it on the senior players - benching those who either weren't capable of playing or didn't have the desire to. That should have started in the pre-WC friendlies at the beginning of the year.

Ger90 repped this.
  6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #106 Ger90, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    our next matches
    Sept 6 UEFA Nations League vs France
    Sept 9 Friendly vs Peru

something like 2+ months away.

although I feel like it should be the inverse, friendly 1st and then UEFA game.

BorisG repped this.
  7. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Looks like Hummels and Boateng have no plans to retire from the NT
    GOOD

Minttunator and Ger90 repped this.
  8. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Müller is one my favourite players so it’d been weird to not see him play for the NT anymore

He was great under Pep
    and great for Bayern earlier this season

I still think he has some business within the NT

nekkibasara and BorisG repped this.
  9. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He needs to retire

10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #110 Ger90, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    I think with the way this team has played at this WC and how it's been coached.

GS exit is the best result, as we would have faced Brazil in the R16 had we made it. Not only would we have likely lost that game but with Brazil still wanting revenge for that 7-1 loss, could have been a disaster.

at the same time, if we had made the R16 and lost to Brazil. That would be the excuse, "oh we lost to Brazil." the biggest team historically in the WC.

Low would likely keep his job and potentially continue with his lunacy. Now if he does stay on, he's likely to reexamine his whole approach even with a rebuild planned pre-tournament.

11. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    nekkibasara and BorisG repped this.
  13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Berti Vogts

Vogts, who steered Germany to European Championship glory in 1996, told Eurosport, “I assume that the German Football Association will part with many players as they do not deserve to continue to play for our national team.

“That was not worthy of a German team. They have shown no will, it was all too slow.”

“We have to build a new team, the people in charge know each other well in football and they have hopefully seen which players are no longer going to belong in the team,” he added.

although he does say he believes in Low. Pretty much saying what many saw, that this wasn't Germany at all at this WC/

14. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Firstly, it shouldn't be up to him. No other major national association would accept this cluster******** of a tournament,

Secondly, if he does stay, who actually thinks he will be able to change his approach to players,tactics etc? His tactics have been questionable for many years, if he was capable of improvement why hasn't it happened before now?

nekkibasara, Ger90 and saj7866 repped this.
  15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well I'm only basing this off dfb President Grindel, who said that he still thinks Low is the man for the job. So it does seem like to get rid of him, he has to resign himself.

its not even about other fa, as Germany we need to have standards and any flop, we should get rid of the coach. Same for our flop youth NT coaches.

I do think if he stays it's problematic because he's not a good tactician.

16. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He is problematic, hes tactically inept, hence Mexico game, he's been lucky he had a golden generation from 2009 who were a outstanding generation, Germany similarly have a really talented generation again who won last years under21 and he should be No were near that geb

Minttunator, nekkibasara and Ger90 repped this.
  17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    isn't it a thing, that it's better for someone to resign than to fire that person. As firings might mean that the dfb have to pay him even more money or something like that.

yeah it was the talent as to why we reached every SF until now with Low on board.

also post CC, Low has bombed when it comes to integrating the youth/young players. Sane is a great example of that.

even more reason as to why he's inept, it's like he learned nothing from the Austria and Saudi games as if they were fluke results that could be fixed with more training. Those 2 games are what really showed our weaknesses and Low was unable to hide them anymore.

Minttunator, nekkibasara and saj7866 repped this.
  18. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hopefully Loews resigns and hupp jenk makes himself available for a maybe a 2 year or 4 year cycle, that would be a ideal platform for maybe a klopp or someone else, but right now we need henk to take charge

Ger90 repped this.
  19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you mean Jupp Heynckes?

would love for him to coach our NT for 2 years. And it's less demanding job, his only issue is he's 73 now and he wants to spend the rest of his time with his family. That's another reason as to why he left Bayern as he was basically living alone.

I think Klopp might consider it once his contract is done at Liverpool in 2022. Otherwise I don't expect him to go for it.

Seems like we have to manage in the next 2-4 years without any top managers as they are all busy with their clubs's preseasons.

Minttunator and saj7866 repped this.
  20. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Hope to see this team at the Euros

Sane.....Werner......Brandt
    ........Kroos....Goretzka......
    ...............Weigl...................
    Heinrichs................Kimmich
    ...........Sule....Rudiger..........
    ............... Ter Stegen............

nekkibasara and Ger90 repped this.
  21. Rac93

Rac93 Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 29, 2017
    Kroos and Weigl together? No thank you. We need a more muscle in the middle of the park. Also why not give Philip Max a chance?

Ger90 repped this.
  22. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why is Sammer a favourite as Loews successor?

Heard he is a good critic or analyst on TV in Germany.

Rangnick, Roger Schmidt, Klinmann and Heyneckes are some names I can think of

Arsene Wenger as well but I don’t prefer a non-German coach usually

Ger90 repped this.
  23. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think we need to play a more direct approach

GK) Ter Stegen, Leno, Timo Horn

RB) Kimmich, Klostermann
    CB) Rudiger, Sule, Tah, Vogt, Kehrer
    LB) Max, Hector, Plattenhardt

CM) Kroos, Gundogan, Emre Can, Weigl, Geiger, Dahoud, Kramer

RW) Brandt, Wolf
    AM) Havertz, Goretzka
    LW) Sane, Gnabry

CF) Timo Werner, Selke, Fullkrug, Uth, Ducksch, Volland

Ger90 repped this.
  24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it's obvious no? for his work at the dfb and then at Bayern and Dortmund. I still don't have an opinion on Sammer as German coach.

Ragnick seems nowhere near likely to leave RB as they are currently in transition from this season to Nagelsmann's arrival. And is being tipped to coach RB next season.

Klinsmann is crap, Low was the real brains from the 2. And that tells you all you need to know.

Heynckes is old and wants to focus on his family.

I think Schmidt could be lured away from China.

our coach shouldn't be a non-German. Not only have we never hired a non German, it also makes our coaching look bad to hire foreign coach. We aren't the USA or England to hire foreign coaches.

nekkibasara repped this.
  25. Romanista_NYC

Romanista_NYC Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Basel, Switzerland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italia fan here - always been an admirer of German football. My team often play well but sometimes choose not to show up (2010 & 2014)...Germany on the other hand always play with a winning spirit. SO the highlights from yesterday's game were a shock to watch.

At least you qualified this WC :) Like the pic above says, this is your chance to start from scratch. Great footballing nation and you'll be back in no time.

Minttunator, nekkibasara, rj123 and 2 others repped this.