Das Reboot and the Road to UEFA Nations League & EC2020

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    3:0 Germany, 2 goals and 1 assist from Gündoğan

Ger90 repped this.
  3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    not a bad result given that we played 10 men for 75 min and could have scored a lot more than we did. Imagine 11v11.....

penetration into the box needs to be better, we basically needed 2 goals out of 3 to be afar shots.

4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nope

5. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kroos should not start ahead of gundogan

6. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    4 lessons for Loew:

1) half -time team talk n tactical changes can be crucial

2) too many players playing out of best position

3) Cap dual -national ASAP

4) Klostermann n Gundogan are players we can rely on. Werner as a joker is a good choice

7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gündogan is one further "like" incident away from getting thrown out and hardly someone to rely on

[​IMG]

8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

9. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Another underwhelming performance under Loew....now Can plays as center back due to injury issues as Koch couldn’t be trusted...this makes it beyond ridiculous that Hummels is not being called

lamcam, Thomsen, saj7866 and 2 others repped this.
  10. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Exactly, this really is undermining Matt's ability, this from loew is a personal grudge against matts rather than just not selecting him

11. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    #4911 Thomsen, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    To be honest, I don't know if Germany made Estonia look bad yesterday or if they're as bad as their ranking says. Probably both. However, in the end, 3 points, that's the most important thing but I don't think that this team, in its current state, will be competitive in the Euro's next summer if I'm brutally honest :whistling: There's definitely enough firepower and individual class in this team to beat any opponent, which is the only thing at the moment I find good with this team. I mean, I don't think Germany should be relying on the individual class from the likes of Gnabry or Sane because it's honestly not what made me like Germany in the first place, and out of character for a team that's built its success on being the best team collectively for decades :unsure:

The starting lineup was... weird. I mean, is Löw genuinely planning, just out of the blue, to use Emre Can as an eventual center back now? :confused: We all know he won't play that position in a tournament anyway, so why wasting time on Can as a center back and not give a younger player a shot to prove himself as that's basically why Hummels' not included anymore... no? :unsure:

It still amazes me how many clear goal-scoring opportunities this team concedes every game I'm watching these days by not being able (or bothering) to track back fast enough or not marking/losing their marking on a player or two as I clearly remember this happened a lot yesterday. I know, they were down one man, but this has been a consistent problem since Russia with eleven players on the field. Löw claims after every game he's been learning from his mistakes, while in fact, I don't think he has. I mean, this team would've been countered to death yesterday if it wasn't for Kimmich :whistling:

This team has a habit of randomly panicking in defense, with the exceptions yesterday being Kimmich and Neuer as they're usually calm and collected. Süle is a great center back, but it's well known that the weakness to his game is his composure on the ball and his build-up play. Despite this, Löw's made him the boss of Germany's defense although I think it's widely known in football that the boss of the defense usually is the calm and cool one despite having tempo issues like Granqvist, just naming an example. So while Süle is an exceptional center back already despite his young age, is he really ready for the task of leading Germany's defense after almost always having Hummels by his side?

The only reason Germany was able to play such a high like in the Euro's 16, were due to Boateng and Hummels' incredible positioning and ability to read the game despite the tempo issues. Also, they were incredibly composed, calm and collected with the ball and they were excellent in Germany's build-up play. I mean, this is the level that the likes of Tah, Ginter, and Rüdiger, can't match. Sure they might have had glimpses and good games like every other footballer, but not on the level that Boateng and Hummels were. Sure, center backs have different qualities to their game, but these are actual qualities and abilities required by a center back you need at least one of the two to have, which is why Süle and Hummels worked so well together...

A lot must go wrong if we were to see Germany NOT competing in the Euro's next year, but despite the injuries, I still can't see what Löw's trying to achieve or accomplish after these last games :thumbsdown:

nekkibasara, Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I mean why would Low recall Hummels. He's blacklisted and recalling him would mean he was wrong, he ain't going to do it.
    Pride and favoritism are 2 Low aspects.

13. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    True, absolutely cheesed off, hummels is quite comfortably better than anyone we got, sule and rudiger are good, but they lsckbthe composure hummels has, loew has such a ego

Ger90 repped this.
  14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Rudiger never looks composed playing for Germany when he clears the ball, reeks of desperation and usually just gives the ball back to the opponent. It's also very very annoying that due to his constant injuries he hasn't played for Germany in awhile.

I agree with Thomsen there is no CB that gives you confidence and these players look worse for Germany than they do for club. Makes you wonder how many International caliber CBs we got? Some really need to be playing at better and more competitive clubs.

we need to find the next Hummels/Boa pair.....It feels like we are at that Metzelder, Friedrich , Mertesacker etc era.....

saj7866 repped this.
  15. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Germany looks good you guys are gonna do good at the euros.

16. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course Hummels would be good to have, it ain't gonna happen unless Low gets fired. But I don't think CB has to be a major issue for Germany, I can't see many other teams with world class defences either atm. I mean even the Dutch with Van Dijk and De Ligt don't look secure. Most teams are vulnerable, the art of defending is disappearing.

With good organisation/structure and some protection from midfield the current defence is serviceable. Nearly all are playing CL or EL football. Under a better coach then Low Germany would in the top 3 contenders, despite not being quite at the same level as 5 years ago. There is still a lot of quality. Maybe with a bit of luck even with Low a deep run is possible.

Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    that is true, the days of world class cb seems over. I would put this at the fault of dev.
    even a country like Italy who used to produce world class cbs.......now........and their cbs played huge role in their history's success.

now it seems like cb is a weakness for majority of teams.

I'm going to miss having cbs who gave me confidence when they play. Seems like we'll have constant iffiness for the next bunch of years until our next top cbs breakthrough the pro levels and make themselves contenders.

Alex C repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Sofort

19. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Current situation of lackness in high quality CB is prevalent issue in football trend, not only in Germany, but very obvious for country like Italy as well. Football now require much much more athleticism compare to decades ago. It is much more harder for defender to contain winger / striker. And on top of that, current referees are much more crazier in terms of issuing card, be it yellow or red. I'm not really opposed to card rules as long as to protect players. But lets be honest, presently even small bump / body challenge can resulted in direct penalty. And let's not forget the prospensity for CB to initiate attack by launching accurate long / short pass from the back, and combined with good ball retention skill. Gone are the era of CB with mere toughness, I don't think Franco Baresi or Billy Costacurta could strive in modern football as of present situation.

Ger90 repped this.
  20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah it really is a need to rethink things in terms of modern day football. And I see a lot of cbs who don't seem as adept in a 1v1 basically vs dribblers. Some games one sees it's way too easy for one player to penetrate the defense. You got a lot more requirements now.

21. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The rules of footballs have changed and it involved fewer tackles and man-marking and more control of space interceptions. The tackles you get away with those days will earn you a red card today and this was to protect players from vicious defenders who don't have the skill to dispossess and just resort to hacking skilled players.

Defenders need to develop new skills to adapt

nekkibasara, Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  22. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    K
    And technology, were yesteryear you could get away with a slight pull of a shirt or a arm lock in the area, now it's impossible

Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  24. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fein can help this NT, with the attributes he has.

just not sure if Loew would bring him in now

Prefer betting on Koch than Tah

Volland is also needed up front. One of the best strikers in BL nowadays other than Lewandowski n Weghorst

25. Rac93

Rac93 Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 29, 2017
    what attributes does Fein have?