Das Reboot and the Road to UEFA Nations League & EC2020

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Funny that people think possession football is modern football.

Yes and no. Things changed a lot in the last couple of years, and possession teams are not the team that always win

You need pressing, movement, skill, discipline and penetration in possession football. if you dont have all these elements, dont play high line and possession.

Only Man City can play possession football nowadays, or maybe Napoli.

Its an era with advanced technology and statistics, scouting system is also different than 10 years ago.

The expectancy of a system or a tactics no longer last as long.

Spain and Germany both had the same issue @Rosebud

Kakeru and Ger90 repped this.
  2. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The ultra high line also involves certain degree of arrogance.

I dont think Loew can change this philosophy, and his loyalty to certain players and poor judgement to some.......kinda pissed me off (they needed Lars Bender, Sane and Wagner)

The false 9 experiment also took years until he let go. His philosophy also changed the training methods in GErmany and we are now producing false 9s , youth NTs are playing false 9s too

Unless Loew admits his problem , i dont want him back

Ger90 and hava repped this.
  3. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    According to bild, after thinking it over he's decided to honour his contract, lol this is ridiculous, like u said I personally think this man is tactically inept, we won the .last world cup with a influx of a golden generation, nothing to do with his astute tactics

4. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My team post WC will be:

GK) ter Stegen, Leno, Fahrmann

RB) Kimmich, Weiser, Klostermann

CB) Sule, Boateng, Rudiger, Tah, Hummels, Vogt, Kehrer

LB) Philipp Max, Plattenhardt, Halstenberg

DM/CM) Kroos,Emre Can, Weigl, Rudy, Gundogan

RW) Gnabry, Brandt, Marius Wolf

AM) Goretzka, Havertz

LM) Leroy Sane, Reus

CF) Fullkrug, Timo Werner, Selke, Petersen, Ginczek, Mark Uth

saj7866 repped this.
  5. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Playing possession based high line defence is extremely risky nowadays with all the technology and information around, our ultra slow backline, lol our invisible midfielder s who were meant to track back, and more worrying our toothless attack who can't dribble past packed and organized defences

6. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The backline isn't ultra-slow, but no backline in the world would look good with these tactics.

The midfield was severely lacking mobility and tackling and offered no protection, the full backs pushed too high, didn't get back quickly enough and the build up was stagnant,slow and predictable involved too many sideways passes and too many players pushed up the pitch which led to the inevitable easy interceptions/counters.

All in all it was a total cluster******** and one no decent coach should be overseeing, it was obvious to most non-experts that it was destined to fail and it made a team which should have been strong contenders a sitting duck and led to the worst and most embarrassing WC in Germany's history. Totally unacceptable, any other country would have fired Löw's ass for that performance. How can anyone at the DFB say he should remain after this?

Rosebud, nekkibasara and hava repped this.
  7. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    According to bild, he's decided to stay on

8. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A football coach, is just like a movie director in this regard. You are as good as your last film/ tournament.
    There is disporportionate weightage to latest performance as that is what is most 'fresh' in peoples memories when you are the cynosure of all eyes.

9. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It shouldn't be up to him to decide.

Rosebud repped this.
  10. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes I agree totally, it's every where, sky sports Germany, talksport radio station, he's decided he's the man to rebuild lol

Ger90 repped this.
  11. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LOW Is staying on for another 4 years... So reboot with old Operating system.

Ger90 repped this.
  12. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Aghhhhhh Its like wearing your old clothes you don't ant to wear anymore... grrrrrrrr

13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LÖW CONTINUES ACTIVITY AS A BUNDESTRAINER
    In a personal conversation, Joachim Loew the head of the German Football Association (DFB) has confirmed that he wants to continue his work as a national coach and would like to rebuild the team with a view to the upcoming tasks in the future. At the association's headquarters in Frankfurt am Main, the World Cup delegation met with DFB President Reinhard Grindel, DFL President Dr. Ing. Reinhard Rauball, the 1st Vice President Rainer Koch, Secretary General Friedrich Curtius, Vice President Peter Peters as well as Oliver Bierhoff as responsible director national teams previously led an open exchange about the world championship in Russia and the Aus in the preliminary round.

In the conversation, the delegation underlined once again that Joachim Löw enjoyed the support of the entire Bureau and that he was trusted to draw the right conclusions from the athletic performance of the World Cup. For his part, Löw had made it clear that despite all the disappointment about the athletic result, he felt unbroken motivation and energy to prepare the team for the upcoming challenges. Together, it was agreed that a hasty and superficial assessment makes little sense. In the coming weeks, the coaching team around Löw and Bierhoff will undertake an in-depth analysis and present the findings and consequences gained to the presidium before the next international match.

Löw: "Shaping the rebuilding with total commitment"
    Joachim Loew says: "I am very grateful for the confidence that the DFB continues to place in me, and despite the justified criticism of our departure, I also feel generally support and encouragement." It was important to me, after a few days, in My disappointment is still huge, but now I want to do the whole set-up with the same motivation, I will analyze together with my team, have discussions and start All this takes time, but it will all happen in time for the start of the new international season in September. "

National Team Director Oliver Bierhoff says: "I am very pleased that Jogi Löw is at the helm of our national team and we sat together for a long time yesterday and I felt the full energy to continue." After 14 years of successful work, we now have to rebuild and we will now be thinking about it and about further structural changes. "
    https://www.dfb.de/news/detail/loew-setzt-taetigkeit-als-bundestrainer-fort-189465/

14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    now Draxler is a permanent NT player.:rolleyes: I hope Low has no more biased moving forward and goes based on form.

nekkibasara repped this.
  15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol at that last part about EC2020.

still eying/desiring that EC trophy eh?

16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    from Bild

Low knows that his reputation is at stake. That's why he will ruthlessly and decisively make the necessary decisions.

Low has learned this year who he can rely on - and who not. That goes for his coaching team as well as for the players. Gratitude will play no role in the next international match on 6 September against France, but only performance.

17. Minttunator

Minttunator Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Estonia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Man, what a disappointment! We all knew the DFB wouldn't have the balls to fire him but I was hoping that Jogi would at least have the integrity to step aside himself. :(

Rosebud, nekkibasara and Ger90 repped this.
  18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    these are the reasons as to why he didn't step down.

1-DFB complete confidence in him. Had they not had that he would likely have resigned. That's the #1 reason why he decided to stay.
    2-Wants to fulfill his 4 year contract
    3-He wants redemption
    4-Desire to lead a rebuild
    5-Win that EC that has alluded him

but have to say if what Bild said about how he will be more ruthless and choose based on performance than thats a good 1st step.

Minttunator repped this.
  19. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #269 The Jitty Slitter, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Agreed

Pep himself would be disgusted with how Low set up the team, because Pep is a disciple of positional play.

Especially I think Pep would have picked the big 3 centre backs, and sought to control midfield with a 4, including Kimmich on the right (a very Pep Player)

Sane would have played high and wide on the left.

Mueller would have played much more as a SS as pep used him at Bayern - he would have been the main striker IMO

Pep might also have done weird stuff - like using both Kroos and Ozil like he uses KDB and Silva

I think Pep might well play Ozil from the right as a deeper attacker in the half spaces. Kroos would have a defensive player beside him. Not sure who Pep would pick at left midfield - but probably a link player who supports midfield

Rosebud, Minttunator and nekkibasara repped this.
  20. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    #270 Jordan Khamra, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    I think we still need a mix of some of the "old guard" for experience and leadership. This includes Neuer, Boateng and Kroos. Kimmish, Gundogan and Reus should also stay.

If we start from scratch we are going to terrible for a long time because the BL is not competitive and BL are not competitive in Europe...

Minttunator and Ger90 repped this.
  21. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    I've been complaining about the lack of dribblers and players willing to take on other players for years. Hopefully Sane, Gnabry, Werner and Brandt. In addition, we need players, at all positions, that are comfortable with the ball.

Our approach of moving the ball is passing. What we are lacking are players with the skill that can have the ball at their feet that are able to move with the ball. Watching this WC, the NT players seemed very uncomfortable having the ball and could not wait to get rid of it and the player receiving the pass already thinking how they can gid rid of it... Besides Ozil, which players have strong ball handling skills?

22. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Does anyone have a link to this "expose"?

23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    not saying no to old guard, just that a part of me sometimes is tempted to move on from all of them.

we arent going to be terrible without the old guard. We won the CC without any of them. Besides I think it's iffy to still use Boa or Hummels, sure they won't be too old if they play EC2020 but for WC 2022 they will be old. Just seems like it's better to move on from them both and rely on younger CBs. So you rely on them for EC then what, you'll end up with inexperienced CBs at the next WC.

RB Leipzig and Frankfurt making Europe is not going to help German NT. Those 2 clubs are mostly all foreign players.

as for your other post, I was on the same boat for years. Never ending possession without doing much of it is pointless. And Draxler is #1 on the list of guys who doesn't seem like they want the ball.

24. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Excerpts from a Kicker print story I haven't read in full about all the aspects that destroyed the team spirit:
    - "Conflicts between Confed Cup and World Cup winners" (dumb, dumb, dumb...Seriously, how dumb, immature and unprofessional can you be? Where is the sense of responsibility and pride to participate in such an event?)
    - "Conflicts between Hummels and Khedira." My guess: Probably just two different personalities with different ideas clashing which doesn't always have to be bad.
    - "Kroos is seen as controversial within the team as someone who (rightfully imo) criticized what went wrong in previous games but who himself wasn't disciplined enough, especially regarding his defensive duties/tracking back."
    Could be a reason why he considers retirement which I hope he won't do. Basically, he saw the disaster happen months in advance and didn't think the problems would just magically disappear. Yes, he's slow but when I see player types like Vidal or Carvalho as examples, it feels we are halfway there in tackling the major problems in midfield that affected both the offense and defense.

25. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Well I get pissed as well when a fricking defensive midfielder don’t bother to track back, so I get the frustration

Idk whether Jogi’s even told Kroos to track back? Wouldn’t surprise me if he hasn’t because it’s Toni

Rosebud repped this.