Daryl Dike at West Bromwich Albion

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only thing is, that’s what Dike is. He’s a bruiser. Not a silky smooth striker.

2. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    I dislike some of Greg's choices but nothing about his past makes me think he'd play Dike if it was genuinely endangering his health to continue.

Many guys on the team were playing with knocks so i think Dike's shoulder not being at 100% messed with his head and prevented him from keeping elite focus on the games.

It ended up being a more mental than physical problem...but the result was the same.

ChrisSSBB and Pestbeulen repped this.
  3. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Eh, it didn't risk further injury but it was pretty clear he couldn't do any of the things that make him effective. When he wasn't even challenging for headers it was clear something was hurting him. I don't thing Greg should have played him just because it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to be effective with the soreness.

edcrocker, Dizi and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  4. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i think dike probably downplayed how much pain he was in pre qatar start, but after gregg saw what he saw he wasnt about to get fooled a second time in the final

edcrocker, Dizi, neems and 1 other person repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon. If you're an amputee, your limb isn't 100%. That standard is meaningless. His limb was probably 30-40%. It was barely of any use. The thing was hanging down & immobile.

To boot the injury was causing him serious pain, so it may have been worse than not having an arm at all at that moment. The pain was the distraction. That's physical, not mental.

I don't think Gregg would have played him if it could cause further damage, but that doesn't mean it wasn't already damaged to the point it would almost inevitably render him ineffective. Ultimately that wasn't beneficial to anyone. They should have seen it was too much of an impediment in practice, & given it rest.

edcrocker repped this.
  6. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    no argument here!

the more i think about it the more silly it seems...just play Zardes (or my preference, actually give Hoppe & Gioacchini minutes at 9)

7. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
  8. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    It shouldn't... I understand for people who didn't catch his stint at Barnsley that the GC was his supposed to be his coming out party in a way. I'd argue the run he had @Barn with that anemic offense was the actual party. My guess is the top clubs that were keeping tabs on him probably balked at Orlando's asking price on top of the fact that he's still a raw talent with only a season and a half of professional experience.

As much cheerleading as I've done for him if he comes back heatlhy and doesn't produce right away and it's between him and Pefok for qualifying... I'm probably taking Pefok at this point.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish you had posted this in whatever thread I'd argued that it looked like one of the two collarbone injuries (a break or, more commonly, a "shoulder separation). I got some shit from several people who then showed evidence that he was still training and, so, I must be an idiot.

10. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never played futsal but I did play a lot in small-sided (3v3 or 4v4) on small courts in Mexico City, and my game improved immensely because of it, very quickly.

Dizi, Winoman and Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Since Dike is no longer a Yank Abroad, doesn't this thread need to be closed at this point? @bungadiri

bungadiri repped this.
  12. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sure he wasn’t comfortable but nothing like 30%-40%. When he got subbed off in his last match, he gave Berhalter a two handed high five (chin high). Nothing about it showed struggle. This isn’t diagnosis of course but he didn’t look like he was protecting something. His club says tendonitis and a knock. That isn’t a tear or separation.

13. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to watch to see if there's any more interest in Dike. It seems unlikely under the current circumstances but let's give it a while.

Deeneaus and tomásbernal repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1914 BostonRed, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    I am a believer in keeping threads open unless they get filled with nonsense. It means more work for everyone if we have to go to the mods to get a thread reopened when a new rumor comes along. It made more sense to close them back when we would have a new thread every time a player moved.

15. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    He’s still getting transfer rumors. Wouldnt make sense to close his thread.

16. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence

The sports editor for the South London Press (which as far as I can tell is a fairly old local newspaper) is reporting interest in Dike from Crystal Palace.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how reliable they are given that they seem to think that Crystal Palace will have to wait until the winter to acquire him because the MLS summer transfer window has now closed.

Winoman, Higher Learning and BostonRed repped this.
  17. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious if you can still SELL players outside the MLS transfer window ?

18. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I don't think any league prevents clubs from selling players outside of the league/association after their transfer window has closed. Transfer windows generally only apply to incoming or intra-league transfers. Which is what makes that article kind of baffling to me.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. The way transfer windows work -- you can only go into a window when it's open; you can always go out a window at any time.

So inbound window is the only one that matters.

tomásbernal repped this.
  20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although some teams are hesitant to sell when they don't have the opportunity to buy a replacement.

BostonRed repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor that Leeds wants him on loan:

22. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he really a murderball type player? Would be an odd fit IMO if true

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he still injured

24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I think so. He was unavailable again for Orlando's most recent match this weekend, and hasn't played a minute now in approximately a month.