Daryl Dike at West Bromwich Albion

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Dec 30, 2019.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes, but BL1 is a big step up from the Swiss Super League, and his last step up - from Ligue 2 to Ligue 1 - didn't go terribly well. In fact it was a total bust, which is how he wound up in Switzerland to begin with.

That doesn't mean that he won't succeed at Union Berlin, just that it pays to be cautious.

2. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    #2277 Ray Shoesmith, Jul 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    Not confident about Pefok in the Bundesliga, and I want to see Haji do it again.

Can they? Sure, I think.

I just believe Dike will no matter what if healthy. That’s all. Always has when healthy.

RossD and theboogeyman repped this.
  3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All three of our big men have scored this past week...Pefok, Dike, Wright

4. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021

Sarge used to light it up every preseason. What’s your point?

I mean, yeah, it’s better to score than not, but I’ll wait unto the games matter.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dike certainly has more tools physically then either of those guys. He can really lean into the battering ram game if he needs to and the question remains how many other styles he can develop.

Haji, Pefok, Sarge, Pepi, Ferrería are all some flavor of poacher/opportunist. As always, hoping Dike's all action style can keep him on the pitch through the World Cup...

USA-Zebuel and madvillain repped this.
  6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is our big men are going into the season on a positive note.
    one or two may continue their trend and make the final 26.

RossD repped this.
  7. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Four... Nova scored also.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Cyclops

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    IOW’s we want them to be the Bizarro Sarge,

Continue score in even after preseason?
    Very novel idea.

10. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be awesome if someone would actually score some league goals.
    Maybe Sarge will be the bizarro Sarge this time around. No scoring in pre-season and shoot the thrill bag-o-goals when it matters during league games!

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  11. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I thought about that, but I had an immediate brain freeze.

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    What? What are the physical tools except he is thicker? Is he faster, does he dribble people, is he an exceptional passer? I like him but let's see if he can earn a spot

13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, looking his Barnsley sojourn, I wouldn't ignore his physical presence as a tool. Even though he's only 6' 2 - which is not that tall for a striker in England - and playing in the fast and physical Championship, he was a real handful for defences and dew endless fouls as a result of their being unable to deal with his physicality legally. I haven't seen enough to comment on his soccer IQ but he seems pretty bright. If that translates to his play, he could cause a lot of problems, especially in the group stages

14. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't go down the pace debate, but in short, yes. That's right. He's quite a bit thicker, seems stronger, and will and can bully his defender(s). Our other guys not so much. And of course he has to earn a spot, for club and country, but given his particular game, if he's playing and playing reasonably well, he's probably starting

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Maybe it would be ease to agree on who we'd choose if we had to pick just one guy (assuming, say, all were healthy and in reasonable form) for a must-win MNT game tomorrow, but I'm not sure that's the case. Without derailing this thread, you've got a bunch of characteristics mixed among guys in the pool, between physical presence, speed, finishing, movement, link-up play, risk/reward... I guess I know how I'd rank them, but I figure reasonable people would disagree.

16. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    [QUOTE="Dave Marino-Nachison, post: 40654796, member: 4768" I guess I know how I'd rank them, but I figure reasonable people would disagree.[/QUOTE]
    I disagree! :)

The Irish Rover repped this.
  17. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    This is a really important point that Dave makes. Can the USMNT win one or two matches without a #9 firing? Probably. Can we advance to QF or deeper in the tournament with a gooseegg from the #9 position? Probably not.

Thus, heavily reliant on: Players like Dike being healthy and playing well for their clubs to give Coach Berhalter different options via the dimensions you outlined,and then (and this is where I worry), Berhalter choosing an option for each match from that pool that balances player form, a gameplan that maximizes our strengths, attacks each opponents weakness, and minimizes their (defensive) strengths.

Eitherway, having Dike score goals for West Brom, and his competition scoring for their clubs solidifies one component of a challenging equation, so the more the merrier.

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    For a big 9, I'd go with someone who has proven something, and that's Pefok. I like Dike but hasnt led any league in anything.

19. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Good to know - but just a reminder this is a club thread. Who people would pick belongs more next door.

20. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well some would say we've gone 20+ years winning without a striker really firing but I'll stop here and speculate on Dike's favorite tea time snack thus far. I'm gonna say he's a Jammie Dodger kind of guy.

YankatOxford repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States