Daryl Dike at West Bromwich Albion

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Dec 30, 2019.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Love West Ham in terms of fit.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I would be delighted to see him in Serie A or La Liga but it seems he's destined for a midtable PL side like a Crystal Palace or Wolverhampton. Heck maybe even West Ham takes a chance on him.

madvillain repped this.
  4. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will throw speculation out there .. yes the story says his cousin ... but who is to say this is not being helped by Brian McBride .... BMac played for Moyes at Preston North End and Everton between 98 - 02 .... BMac was a young brave striker .... of course he was well respected everywhere and he is now USMNT GM ... perhaps Moyes asked about him and he says "he is young and fit and eager and a great player to develop - perhaps give him a chance at West Ham" ....

there could be vastly worse things than to get coached and trained by Moyes.

just like so many Americans have realized by now ... it is so important to go to the right club with the environment to give you a chance and great training and development.

Zinkoff, KenC, ChicagoVT and 1 other person repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    And a bright enough manager who can help you develop and furthermore, one that's backed by the club and not in the firing range.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The EFL Championship would be a good filter for some 19 year old looking for a career in MMA.

adam tash and The Irish Rover repped this.
  7. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope Dike moves from strength to strength in his career (which is so difficult in this sport). I think he has the type of personality that both players and fans would be drawn around in terms of the USMNT.

8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The League of Ireland says hello :cry::cry::cry::cry:

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They did it with Lukaku, buying him from Anderlecht before loaning him back to them until he turned 18 and finished his Bacalureat before loaning him on to West Brom for a season when he moved to England. The Loan Army days may or may not be over, but 20 million is peanuts for them.

And if it means working with Tuchel for any stretch of time, even if it's only pre seasons, I'd say go for it. Right. Now.

10. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man, would LOVE WHUFC. I started supporting them around 06/07 when Tevez and Mascherano were signed, the former helping lead the great escape. West Ham has yo-yoed a bit but they've always been a big club with huge potential. Their recent track record of developing players hasn't been great, especially on the heels of a generation that saw Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, John Terry and others come out of the West Ham Academy.

He's a natural successor to Michail Antonio, who's been surprising effective as a striker, but can't go 90 every week. He's got a lot more update than Antonio too but can learn a lot modeling his desire and work ethic.

The squad, if they can keep Rice, is really good and is truly only really lacking a backup striker/guy who can take the spot from Antonio and maybe some depth in attack. Bowen/Benrama/Yarmolenko can't cut it in that spot if the team wants to finish in a European place. Most of the work this year has been done by Antonio.

I think if West Ham want to keep Lingard as well, they have to show intent and Dike would be a great step in that direction -- sterling performance in England this year and an infectious, winning personality. The only jerseys I have with name/number are a Bobby Moore charity shirt and a Clint Dempsey USMNT, but maybe, just maybe...

11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know something we should know? that he is actually from Krypton?

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barnsley Player of the Month:

And 2 entries in the Goal of the Month competition for the club:

As of now, Dike vs. Terriers is in 2nd place (hint, hint) behind Mowatt.

ChicagoVT, Zinkoff, sXeWesley and 7 others repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview snippet:

LouisZ, edcrocker, ebbro and 5 others repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to be some negotiating going on right now:

15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    once again it seems like dane murphy makes some things sound finalized that are very much not finalized from ocfc pov

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    This is one weird loan arrangement.

adam tash, sXeWesley, Magikfute and 5 others repped this.
  17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Barnsley didn't even dream about playoffs when signing the loan. They are basically negotiating a new mini loan right now. I wonder whether buy out numbers stay the same.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus the dates of MLS's transfer window changed after the process was in place. It made sense to put in a recall date that allowed Dike to return & play in the original window. Otherwise, he could have been sitting on the bench at Barnsley with no playing time & no way for him to play until later in the season.

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1294 m vann, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  20. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you seen his legs? They are impossible.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    His eyes are up here :p

22. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article has some good new information. Orlando's CEO says this has been a free loan so far. I wonder if he just means that there's been no loan fee but Barnsley is covering his salary, or if Barnsley is actually not paying anything at all and just provided a shop window for Orlando. To me it seems likely that part of this negotiation is new terms on a potential transfer because it would be a no-brainer for Barnsley to pay something to keep Dike through the playoffs. Even if Orlando wanted $100k/game Barnsley would be foolish to pass as keeping him is likely the only way they can qualify for promotion (and all that money).

There are obviously lots of missing details, still. I'd love to know more about how the transfer aspect is structured.

adam tash repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How much exactly is he earning while on loan?

24. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an excellent point about the buyout. Orlando is free to renegotiate that now as well.

It's easy to see why the loan was structured this way. At the time it was agreed to, the more likely scenario is that with two games remaining before the playoffs, Barnsley was likely going to be sitting somewhere 8th or 9th and the playoffs were way out of reach. Orlando could recall him and not have him miss more regular season games.

On the flip side, they knew there was the chance that Dike would blow up. This recall gives them leverage to receive compensation and (as you mentioned) rework the buyout number.

I think Dike will stay with Barnsley but Orlando would be crazy not to use this leverage and get something more favorable.

25. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca