Daryl Dike at West Bromwich Albion

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Dec 30, 2019.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't remember getting excited about that one...

2. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    It’s one thing to score goals, but to do it in a variety of ways means he has way more to his game than a lot of people originally thought. He has to clean up some touches but it’s intriguing to see what he looks like at 22-23 years old.

now, the whole key is, move to a club that will continue to use and develop you. Dike, Sargent, Weah, hoppe, ayo... the number 9 has some nice options. One or two have to hit

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet goal! Big man, light on his feet! Every goal adds a few zeros to his transfer fee. Love it!

With that said... holy shit was that horrific defending. That defender gave that initial dribbler acres of space just outside and just inside the box and then two defenders let the ball bounce in the 6 year box—yes bounce! — in between them. They just looked at each other. Glad Dike punished them. He should!

4. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
  5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those looking for (and struggling to find) streams, this website usually has Barnsley games (and pretty much any other game you might conceivably be interested in, for that matter). sports bay dot org. The first video box in each link is always junk. The second one is the real deal. You'll have to close a few pop up tabs (Command W is your friend on Mac) to get the volume on and go full screen but the quality is nearly always excellent and reliable.

6. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Please, go to the BL. RB Leipzig or Salzburg with the eventual move to Germany.

MtnGardener repped this.
  7. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    CyphaPSU and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’d be hard pressed to find any Bundesliga club - not named Bayern - willing pay his reported transfer fee. I’d love to be proven wrong because I think he could have Wout Weghorst-like effect.

mschofield and madvillain repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Put a finger in it already...

Winoman and madvillain repped this.
  10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Winoman and ttrevett repped this.
  11. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    he could plug a leak on a lot of teams.

12. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were Leeds in the championship when Eddie Lewis played there? Regardless, I think you are right - Bonny Bobby Convey at Reading with @RichardL providing priceless Big Soccer commentary.

mschofield, Winoman, KenC and 1 other person repped this.
  13. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I got curious so I decided to see what Mitrovic did when he tore up the championship on loan a couple of years ago.

He scored 12 goals in 17 league appearances. This at age 23 with a year at Serbia's top level, two years in the Belgian Pro League, and two years with Newcastle (one year in the Prem, one year in the Championship).

It's nice when a loan couldn't have gone any better, Barnsley promotion or not.

ChicagoVT, Winoman, KenC and 2 others repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    No way he'd head to Austria.

15. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    He remembered how his missed that PK. Otherwise, he is in double digits scorer club now. LOL.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Personally, I don't remember anybody getting excited by that one.

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    True, and there's equally no way that Salzburg would pay what it would cost to buy him from Barnsley. He's already in England, where the highest transfer fees are paid, including for the top Championship players. Daryl's scored 9 goals in 16 league games so far. For comparison, after 10 goals every 40 games in his first two seasons in the Championship, Ollie Watkins scored 25 goals in 46 games last year and moved to Aston Villa for 30 million Euros.

Salzburg will pay money for a player, but only if they think they can sell him on for a sizeable profit. Paying +20 million euros isn't where that is. This boy is good; very, very good but if a Premier League EL side is already eyeing him, Salzburg will pass rather than be outbid.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd hope his wife but maybe you're right.

Winoman, The Irish Rover and madvillain repped this.
  19. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You’ve obviously never been married. ;)

20. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    I'd love to see him in Serie A. Maybe one of the Milan clubs would have interest and funds.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be honest...if it's about my personal happiness, I'd like to see Barnsley win the playoffs and buy Dike. Next year he has a heroic campaign and they miraculously avoid relegation. At that point, he's sold to a bigger club in a league it's easy for me to watch, Barnsley uses two years of Prem money to stay up for a decade, and Dike is a Barnsley legend in just a year and a half.

deejay, Pestbeulen, Magikfute and 7 others repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd worry about the squad clearly out of their league in the Premier League and he scoring like 4 goals in such a season.

madvillain repped this.
  23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Don't worry, enjoy! Barnsley's like a finger pointing away to the moon. Do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all of Dike's heavenly goalscoring.

24. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    The only way RBS would buy Dike is if he had been at RBNY not Orlando.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    for reference sake, salzburgs record inbound transfer paid is ~$12 million for okafor

KenC repped this.