Daryl Dike at West Bromwich Albion

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Dec 30, 2019.

1. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/daryl-dike/profil/spieler/638741 dunno, but there's a good chance if it were known it would be on that page, in the section next to his photo. you could probably stalk his socials and they might provide a clue. maybe en lieu of a big move he's shopping agents...

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ron Waxman

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thanks.

Someone known to get things done, both in the US and Europe.

4. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. We didn't see this coming.

6. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barnsley has the option to buy Dike's contract for $20 million!

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does he qualify for a WP? He's got one Jan. camp cap. Never played for the youth teams. Was good in MLS for a half season. Got an exceptional u-21 talent waiver for that?

If so, Brexit's gonna be great for our player's passage into Europe at a reasonable level. Championship or EPL for just about all our u-21 players who'd warrant the move, in conjunction w/ the outgoing club being amenable.

Eighteen Alpha and eliwood repped this.
  8. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how it works, but apparently his appearance last night was key, strange

9. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    hasnt the work permit process almost been made less mysterious? dont they publish the exact 'points' earned and required based on age bracket and ranking of national team?

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and many want January camp to go away completely. It should stay open for that reason alone. We could game that system hardcore. Now Bello, Araujo, Ferreira, Perea, Vines?, & Tessmann all qualifier. This is a game-changer. England throws around the highest transfer fees AND it's the easiest transition for our players culturally.

11. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    The post-Brexit rules use a points system for any player that doesn't automatically qualify (like Morris did), and apparently it's easier for U-21 players to qualify under that point system.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/player-registration/points-based-system

Just reading the rules and doing some quick mental math, he may have just qualified because his USMNT debut yesterday netted him a crucial 7 points (which any US U-21 player would get for appearing in 20% of the the USMNT's international games over the past year -- or 1 out of the 5 games we played).

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  12. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If need be, he probably qualifies for a Nigerian passport.

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this time it would be an auto qualifier for all u-21 players.

In subsequent years they may have to appear in 1-2 more games (very doable) throughout, if they don't play in youth competitions in addition. This year they were actually at the youth comp disadvantage due to covid. So in conjunction most players could still get in with the single Jan. camp cap I'd imagine.

The massively increased flexibility is indeed game-changer for club careers and in turn the national team.

14. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    It gets a little tricky to generalize because the rules depend on a number of factors, which as you've noted were somewhat unique this year. From what I understand.

1) If you're an adult, the panel looks at the past 2 years of international matches. If you're a U-21 player they only look at the past year.

2) For whatever period they're looking at, if your national team has played almost entirely friendlies, then they'll count friendlies when looking at how many games you've played. But if a reasonable percentage of your national teams' games in that period were competitive games, then they'll only look at competitive games.

Dike was probably helped out by the fact that as a youth player they only looked as the past year, and during that year we didn't play any competitive games, so they could consider friendlies. That probably won't be the case most other years.

Of course, I'm only talking about international appearances. There are other ways to rack up points, including what a player does in youth tournaments and at the club level. However, the FA treats MLS as a 4th tier league, so MLS players don't earn as many points through club competition as you'd ideally want.

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...... that came out of the blue! Pleasantly surprised. The Championship will be a perfect place to cut his teeth. I believe Barnsley has a new or new-ish owner that is wanting to pump money into the club. They sounds ambitious. Their manager - who's name in escaping me - had a really good run with Austrian Bundesliga side LASK with a young and exciting team. So he gives young players a chance. No idea what the squad situation is at Barnsley but it looks like they are middle table.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eighteen Alpha and largegarlic repped this.
  17. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    That would be the largest sale of an American from MLS, ever, and the second largest of any player, just below Almiron.

18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    It would be Barnsley's record arrival. The current record holder? Gjorgji Hristov for $2.48 million in 97/98.

I'm not sure what the current financial/ownership situation is but yea, it would be quite remarkable.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As to the WP issue, I think there is a glaring hole in the automatic qualification process.

International appearances only counts the matches you are available to play in (meaning called in & not injured).

Available International Matches means the total number of matches played by the Player’s National Association in Senior Competitive International Matches during the International Reference Period, minus the number of matches that the Player was Unavailable for Selection. If less than 30% of the matches played by the Player’s National Association during the International Reference Period were Senior Competitive International Matches, Available International Matches shall also include International Friendlies.

Unavailable for Selection means the player was not available to play due to injury, on-field suspension or any other circumstances which would prevent the player from physically entering the field of play. For the avoidance of doubt, a player may not be classed as injured (and therefore Unavailable for Selection) if he was listed as a substitute in a match and was not used and such
    matches may not be eligible for exclusion when calculating the Available Minutes (as applicable). In international competitions where players are listed as substitutes regardless of whether or not they are injured, players may be classed as injured (and therefore Unavailable for Selection) if sufficient evidence is provided of their injury.

So a U20 player can qualify if he appears in only 1 match assuming he wasn't "available" -- meaning called up & on the bench, it appears. At the USMNT's current ranking, you'd need to appear in 60% or more of the matches counted to qualify automatically. Dike was injured for the only other match he was called in for.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  20. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    wasn't Barnsley linked to Reggie Cannon pre Portugal move?

ChicagoVT repped this.
  21. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I think I read that a little differently, but it's not totally clear. I think they're just saying that a player can't claim to be injured or unavailable if they were on the bench and listed as a sub (unless it's in a tournament where they're listed as a sub regardless of injury status), but I don't think that necessarily means that a player who wasn't on the bench and listed as a sub would automatically be considered unavailable.

That said, I think there is potentially a case to be made that Dike appeared in 100 percent of the games he was available for in the past 12 months since he was injured against El Salvador (I had forgotten this), the Wales and Panama games came during the MLS season (this one is iffy in my mind), and the Costa Rica game may have technically been more than 12 months ago, if only by a day.

BostonRed and m vann repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I can see that, too. I would expect to see some clarification going forward, especially because the Appeals Committee is going away after this window. It's possible they went to appeal and used the possibility of the cap to get provisional okay.

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they are interested in paying the 20 million. They think he may be their Messi. If so purchasing his rights would result in a discount of 530 million.

24. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barnsley are currently in 12th.

@bungadiri @TheFalseNine Daryl Dike at Barnsley F.C. (on loan from Orlando City SC)

25. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    if they get promoted and bought dike for 20 million that would put him valuation-wise in the neighborhood per transfermarkt* of fabio silva and rhian brewster. definitely would need to make an um rather large statement. i am more interested in hearing hte terms of the loan? saw some twitter chatter that there were some strict requirements built into it