Daryl Dike at West Bromwich Albion

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Dec 30, 2019.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I wrote my own for Daryl, Orlando and Barnsley...

KenC repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    For those who follow the division or club, how big of a deal would it be if Barnsley were to win the playoff and get promoted? Would they be swallowed up in the PL? Would their fans just be happy to be in the PL?

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From all that I've read over the last 4 months: it would be a big deal if Barnsley were promoted as they haven't been in the first division in England since the late 90s.

Most observers expect they would get crushed in the EPL as they have massively overperformed this season (a lot of that thanks to Dike, obviously). However, some people have noted their moneyball signings have been good and under the radar of most clubs. They are a very young team, so there's potential there. Their oldest player is 30, next oldest 27, and most of the team is under 23.

From reading some segments of Barnsley forums, their fans would be elated to be in the EPL (this would seem obvious). Most also have a realistic understanding that they stand little chance to stay up, but it would be fun anyway.

4. Pisscutter

Pisscutter Member

Apr 15, 2005
    There’s a great Barnsley-related book (“Keeper of Dreams) about Lars Leese- who went from lower-league action in Germany to being reserve keeper at Bayer Leverkusen... and ends up at Barnsley. Even comes in as a sub for the injured started and manages to beat Liverpool. Barnsley fans sounded like quite a fun and interesting bunch.

UniversalAdvice, KenC, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, that's how Huddersfield fans reacted during their two seasons in the Prem and Barnsley are a somewhat smaller club, at least over the last 10 years or so. So, yes, that's their most likely reaction.

They'd be well-advised to.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given what we know about the management at Barnsley, they aren't going to take any big financial risks and gamble the future for a better chance at avoiding relegation. It's almost certain, IMO, that they will add a young player or two,* maybe try to find a loanee or two who is surplus at a major club, and pray for a miracle non-relegation. They will use the Prem money to try to bounce straight back up in the 22-23 season, and then stick.

*If they aren't strong at LB, I think a key target may well be Antonee Robinson. He fits their acquisition strategy: he's very young with upside, and won't be too expensive. If he works out, fine, if he fails, no great loss, and if he exceeds expectations, flip him for a profit. Basically, their targets within England are going to be very young players on clubs that just got relegated.

7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    The clubs that get relegated this year are still bigger and more affluent then Barnsley. It's not at all clear, even with their promotion, Barnsley in the the premier league is a more desirable destination then Fulham, WBA or Sheffield United in the championship. I don't think FFC will let Robinson go for a pittance and I don't think Barnsley will be able to afford the wages AR would seek.

I would not be surprised to learn that the wage bill at FFC, WBA or Sheffield United will still be substantially more in the championship then Barnsley's in the EPL.

ChicagoVT, KenC and TimB4Last repped this.
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right, but that will be Barnsley not wanting to tie their hands if they can't bounce back up. It won't be because they can't afford it.

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also one who will be there for a while as Reynolds just found out.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    If memory serves, I read a while back that Barnsley’s player budget was one of the lowest in the Championship at 8.1M pounds. While, the lowest EPL player budget was over 64M pounds. 8x as much. And the average EPL player budget was far higher than that. Buying players from relegated EPL teams is common, but it really does mess up a Championship team’s wage structure. I wonder if Dane, the Barnsley CEO will just try to draft in some bargain players from their other teams, accept that they won’t likely be EPL competitive, but prep a team capable of competing for a bounce back in a couple seasons.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It will depend on how much money they have to upgrade. Their owner, Chien Lee, is a big investor in securities and the hospitality industry, and owns about a dozen soccer clubs around the world.

Needless to say, he's been badly affected by the pandemic.

Pacific Media Group has minority stock in Barnsley, and as a company in the movie industry, they have also been badly affected by the pandemic.

So, unless some other big name steps up, I think it's likely a "good to see you, thanks for playing, come back soon!" deal, like it was for WBA and Fulham.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]

Vote for Barnsley's Biggest Player of the Season!

Voting closes at 11.59 pm on Friday 7 May​

LouisianaViking07/09 and BostonRed repped this.
  13. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1389651462934904834 is not a valid tweet id

14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dike is a marked man. He has a bulls-eye on his back.

15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    What a beautiful sequence around 20"-30". Looked like badminton.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Biggest player of the season? That's probably Dike. Best? I'll leave that for actual fans of the club...

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I already voted (and entered your contact info :p).

TarHeels17, YankatOxford and Winoman repped this.
  20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    'Hitman' is off the charts in terms of political correctness, though. How about Teddy Bear?

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Dike hatrick > the Swans

23. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "We've always told each other at the training camps that we want to change how the world views American soccer, and now we have the staff, the players and the resources to do that." Sky Sports