Daryl Dike at West Bromwich Albion

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Dec 30, 2019.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, something like that has been the reported sale clause in the loan agreement. That doesn't mean that it can't or won't be renegotiated if Barnsley miraculously make it to the EPL this year. It also doesn't mean that Barnsley wouldn't pay it anyway (though I highly doubt it) because, experience at that level or not, keeping that guy who fits your team so well and does what Dike does is going to be crucial if Barnsley hope to stay up in their first year in the EPL since 98.

2. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    According to one of the Barnsley forums they have a quote from a board member (ok apparently it's from CEO Dane Murphy) stating that figure was blown way out of proportion and that he's very much within their purchasing budget. Whether that's true or not his value has certainly gone up since he arrived there.

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    you might be right but I thought I saw that this price would be way out of Barnsley's range.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    It's also worth remembering that if Barnsley reach the EPL, their strikers won't be touching the ball a lot.

5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right about this. Their only chance might be to chuck balls up field and hope someone can do something with it. It might be a miserable year for Dike if it comes to pass but I'm hopeful that he's the kind of player and person that might be able to adjust and make something happen. It would help that he's a beast, a fighter not a whiner. He'll get up and try again--that seems like his MO. The guy has "'Merica 2000s" written all over him. It worked for McBride and Dempsey.

EDIT: All this written out, I realize that I seem to be indicating mid-table EPL as his high-end, which I think is a reasonable outcome at this point. Given our striker pool, we could do worse (and might not do better any time soon).

The Irish Rover and nobody repped this.
  6. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    But they'll probably be trying to head long balls a lot.

7. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Btw interesting tidbit Billy Beane (of Moneyball fame) is a minority owner at Barnsley... unless they get that EPL money from a miracle promotion they won't be sending Orlando suitcases of cash for Dike anytime soon!

8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that makes sense! Seems to be successful "moneyball" so far--right player, right time.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    7th place in the Championship is about on par for where all the Moneyball Era A's have finished. Decent, sometimes good but never great.

No matter how you evaluate it or acquire it and no matter the sport, great costs big bucks.

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All sale prices are negotiable.

11. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Of course they'll touch the ball!

They'll touch the ball for one of the kick-offs and for the multiple restarts after Barnsley concede goals :p

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  12. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You won't sleep with me for $100 but you said you'd think about $10000000? At this point we're not debating whether or not you'd prostitute yourself, we're just debating the price."

Dike would be a pretty good money ball purchase even now but if he keeps it up I wonder if that price rises above their means. It's also why as a West Ham fan, I'm resigned to losing Declan Rice to Chelsea because while he says he's "bought in", Chelsea are gonna ask him, "Yes, but are you still bought in if we offer you a 500% salary increase?" And to him I'd say squeeze those a-holes for every penny you can.

13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His physicality and tactical application of it are necessary for our 23.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Let’s see how he develops.

15. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I always wanted to write a book called: YankeeBall! Free Agency, Relief pitching, and Left-Handed Power Hitting

Magikfute repped this.
  16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    League One, League Two.

And don't forget Scotland

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #267 The Irish Rover, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    True, but IMO he has far more physical presence than McBride had and his touch is already a bit better than I remember McBride's to have been.

comoesa and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Dike does that for 70-75 minutes and he can then be subbed off for a fast, mobile winger/striker crossover, e.g. Weah, who will draw fouls, PKs and cards from physically and mentally exhausted defenders. That in turn limits the opposition coach's final-20-minutes tactical options a lot.

19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I doubt that he is able to get all those muscles high in the air. And that's where McBride was thriving. And, actually, don't see how they are similar except that both aren't fast.

dark knight and nobody repped this.
  20. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'll definitely be a NY Times bestseller.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know of a stream for this game?

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McBride was quite physical and elite in the air. I haven’t seen much to show that Duke’s touch is better than McBride.

24. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Anyone watching this and know how hes doing? Cant find a stream

25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Even in a depressed market Lukaku would cost +60 million Euros, a third of which would be the rumoured price of 20 million. Which happens to be double what Sunderland paid for Jozy.

That'd make Dike the poor man's Lukaku or the rich man's Jozy Altidore.

Either way, not a bad player to have in your squad.