Darren Mattocks

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by OldFan2015, May 1, 2016.

1. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    So, I hear some fans think he is doing well in Portland. I wonder.. is 1 goal in 7 games any better than his scoring rate in Vancouver? Nope, he is the same Darren.

So, what exactly is the difference here other than continued wishful fantasy thinking that he is a star?

2. Angus Walker

Angus Walker New Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Like at Vancouver, Mattox is played as a sub and as a result has only played around 2 games in minutes this season. 1 goal in 2 games is a strike rate way in excess of any of the Whitecaps players and yet a similar strike rate, in minutes played, to when he was here!
    I understand the frustration when he missed so many chances and he missed an open goal again today. But the fact he gets in position to get so many chances is something we are sadly missing with Rivero. If Rivero missed 10 chances per match compared to missing 2 or 3, he might score a lot more too!

3. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The excuses for Mattocks are amazing.

I don't know how long it will take for people to just realize he is what he is and that is that.

4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well i am on old fan's side- but if i had to choose between rivero and mattocks, i would take .... mattocks as his speed is the extra that octavio does not have to put fear in the eyes of defenders- neither will be great or even average goal scorers in MLS, but robinson might even resign rivero who is making almost $900 000- after the team resigned the injury-prone, road-disappearing morales, anything is possible

regarding rivero, as a side comment, i have never seen a striker who has the definite skill of hitting the goalie on his shots- its really quite amazing and he even did it vs NYCFC, but he luckily got the bounce into the net

the whitecaps will be lucky to be a .500 club this season unless a goal scorer comes into the team- i thought it was strange again that kudo- their top signing for goals- sat on the bench- and we just have too many fringe strikers- manneh, techera, rivero- who are not courageous inside the box and too many MFs who lack the ability to get goals

we will be competitive as long as ousted stays healthy and the defence gets better, but surely beitashour is sorely missed

we could be in for a longgggggg season unless the Caps sign 2 significant players in june- simply put, the team is not good enough and, at their best, will be a .500 club and fighting for a playoff spot

i have concluded that the whitecap owners are either too cheap or believe in the soccer intelligence of the coach and president far too much to spend the money to attract a significant goal scorer- yes, it is a gamble, but look what giovinco and drogba have brought to their clubs and ignited their fans and media- MY TEAM PERISHES FOR LACK OF VISION

5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Game analysis vs NYCFC- 2-3 loss:

1. with a game that we could definitely win, robinson chose to start 3 new defenders- atekugbe, kah and smith- the results speak for themselves- i would have gone with kah and 1 of the other players- we needed at east 2 regulars besides parker and ousted on defence

2. rivero shows an instinctive knack for hitting the goalie even when 90% of the net is wide open; old fan is right- mattocks will score more than him

3. we deserved a tie at least

4. manneh will always be an almost, but never will be- he lacks ambition, courage, training and soccer-intelligence- sometimes he does dazzle, but the lack of consistency is his achilles heel

5. leaving villa wide open on a corner for a goal rather than sitting a defender on his shoulder is bewildering and shocking- kah is the mature defender and he should have taken charge of that situation

6. bolanos will struggle to be an impact MF which we had all hoped for when he was signed- the traded mauro rosales offered more in his play

7. techera will not score anywhere near his preseason boast of 15 goals; octavio will struggle to get more than 5 run-of-play goals; perez will have his best playing days in september to october; our MF will be lucky to score 7 run-of-play goals this season (they now have 1 after 8 games)

8. it should be obvious to most whitecap knowledgeable soccer fans that this team will struggle to be a .500 club and make the playoffs unless there are 2 significant players added by june/early july- and 1 of our DPs will either have to be bought out or traded or we use some special MLS money

9. NYCFC has made some atrocious and naive decisions on players, but david villa is the real deal- a terrific DP signing

9. we have a great MLS goalie in ousted and a very promising CD in parker

6. Angus Walker

Angus Walker New Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    @hot potato

1. I agree. If there is one place we are strong it is defence. Not as strong as last year yet, as Waston is taking time to get back to full form and Aird is growing into his new position, but this is only going to gain consistency if it is unchanged. We were forced into one change and we know Kah is great but is going to make one major mistake per game, so we needed to make sure the rest was as stable as possible. Making 2 more changes was just plain suicide! The only possible reason for this selection is that Robbo thought this was a loss before we began so thought he would use it to give Adekugbe and Smith a run out!

2, I've been shouting "Hit the goalie win a coconut" at Rivero for the past 12 months!

3, We could have tied if Robbo didn't go into this match expecting to lose (see point 1)

4 & 7, I'll lump these together as they are both the same problem. Manneh and Techera are not strikers. Last Saturday Manneh played it right for the two goals. The first (the own) goal came from him getting to the back line and crossing. This is what he should be doing almost every time. Unfortunately he doesn't. He usually just heads straight to goal. For the 3rd he was through 1 on 1 with the keeper so he had a right to go for goal and slotted it home nicely, however this should be the exception rather than the rule. The downside of him scoring is that he will now go for goal even more. Techera is the same. The reason we don't score many is this lack of service to the strikers because the people who should be providing the service are trying to score themselves. It's like watching schoolkids.

5, The Villa goal was the biggest con of the match. How you can say any Whitecap is at fault for that is beyond me. Brilliant is bear hugging Parker and Laba preventing either of them from chasing Villa. That was an intentional foul in a set play. If a team is practising foul play it is inconceivable that Disco wont be doing something about it. Obviously they won't but that's because the Whitecaps didn't do it!

6, Agreed. Bolanos has made one decent kick in all the time he's been on the pitch. It's probably not going to do as well in the goal of the week competition as the cheating goal from NYC but that has been his sole contribution this season. Taking a crap penalty definitely doesn't count.

8, I disagree here. I think we do have the players. We just need to give the wingers a kick up the ass and tell them to be wingers in a 4-4-2 formation with Harvey, Waston, Parker and Aird in defence, Manneh and Techera on the wings, Laba and Mezquida as defensive and attacking midfield and Kudo and Rivero up front. (I want to say Kudo and Perez but Perez is really only a super sub to bring on to change games)

9, Sorry, Man City = New York City. I was born in the red side of Manchester. Please don't praise any player from either of these clubs. He's a $%^&*() and will always be a $%^&*().

and 9 again!!!!, Yes I agree and would add Aird in there as a promising RB too.

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

the game vs NYCFC was one of the most winnable away games of the year and aside from needing kah- rusty as he is-, robinson should have played his best team and gone for the win- instead, he chose to rotate players and recreate a defence that was barely passable

while the villa goal on the corner should have been called for illegal bear hugging, there should have been 1 assigned player who would have stuck like glue to villa- no one took charge and the result came

i am not sure robo would get anywhere in giving manneh a kick up the arse- kekuta is just not built- physically and mentally- for a long-term, hard-working professional soccer career- no significant euro team will come knocking for him; techera is a 1 foot pony and will never mature beyond what he is without developing his right foot; both players are basically insignificant from the 20 yard line into the goal area where the tough get going and the weak dont enter- but i rate techera as a better player than manneh because he does make some nice crosses into the box area that usually go begging for a striker that can head the ball on goal- our defenders are better strikers than what we now have

kudo and bolanos are busts and i am not convinced that either player will play a significant role in this season- strange signings to say the least- why kudo could not play is a mystery- 2 games in 4 days should not be too much to ask from a professional 25 year old soccer player that was supposed to answer the goal scoring dilemma

overall, the whitecaps are a weak team- .500 at best as we were for most of last year- and will struggle to make the playoffs without 2 significant players being added- not some potential, cheap-costing players from CA and SA which the very wealthy owners want- both montreal and TFC owners want to WIN and capture their markets- our owners and FO think small and dont recognize the potential in the vancouver area

nice to share ideas with you- keep the dialogue going

8. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well, this turned into game discussion... bye bye Darren :)

For those that read this forum, you may recall at the beginning of the season I made a comment about something not being right with Kudo. It seemed so suspicious to me that a guy with his pedigree would be allowed to walk on a free, no Japanese clubs trying to sign him, and off he goes to another league which at most was a lateral move and perhaps a bit of a move down (depending on how you rate the J League).

We are two months into the season and even with 3 games in 8 days he is not getting significant playing time. Something isn't right here, and I am ready to call him a bust. He isn't injured and I can't buy the "adjustment" thing because he has been here several months. Something is going on behind the scenes that the Caps didn't do their due diligence about; that is what it smells like to me.

Very disappointed in that signing. The used TAM on him (I think, don't quote me on that MLS is so secretive), and he is getting a fairly decent salary for doing nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if they mutually terminate in the summer window or in the off season.

I do not consider Bolanos a bust. I honestly think he is about what I expected. An aging player on the downside of his career. He can contribute, has value, and likely will have some important impact late in the season. He certainly isn't Bolanos from a few years ago; I probably would rather have Rosales still here at this stage instead.

9. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    So the Supporters Club's favorite star returned today... and what a day it was.....

he stumbled over the ball when he had a break into the box, whiffed a ball way over the net when he had a clear shot on goal and the keeper was beat, and he gave us his usual "hands to the head staring at the sky" excuse thinking he has bad luck and had nothing to do with his skills.

For all you folks that keep thinking Darren is a star striker, or say "he is doing well in Portland"..... well, he isn't.... he will get his 3 - 5 goals this year just like every year, and be Darren.

I have to admit, it kind of felt cool when people booed him when he was coming off the pitch. You are welcome to think I am an asshole for smiling at this; I feel it is well earned after his time here sucking 300 grand a season out of the MLS.

10. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    One goal in 13 appearances. so much for people thinking he would somehow flourish in Portland :)

11. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    One goal all year from our superstar. And, that earned him a starting spot in Portland's biggest game of the season. Of course, he didn't score.

So, does Portland bring him back, thinking that somehow, he will still break through? 1 goal this year, 3 goals last year, 6 goals before that, an 3 goals before that. 4 year trend, or is this man about to make a superstar break through?

Stay tuned for the ongoing saga of MLS coaches who love this guy, and supporters who keep thinking he is about to make it big.

12. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    So, Darren is protected in the expansion draft by Portland
    Portland also started him in the last game of the season which was the most important game of the year... Darren of course didn't score. He got one goal all year with Portland in MLS

So Portland is giving him another contract? Over 300 grand last year, will they give him that much again?

His Goals

2012 - 7 (heavily weighted early when he was new and nobody knew him)
    2013 - 3 Goals
    2014 - 6 goals
    2015 - 3 goals
    2016 - 1 goal

So how many years does he have to go before it is apparent to managers and supporters that he is a 3 to 6 goal man who squanders the vast majority of his chances, and should be a bench player making under 200 grand.

13. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    mattocks is a mystery wrapped in a soccer kit

playing for his MLS teams- vancouver and portland- he is a great disappointment and yet somehow gathers a salary over $300 000 US- scores 3-4 goals/season and often is a bench-warmer

playing for jamaica, he has had very exciting, influential games, such as in the recent Gold Cup- 2 goals, 2 assists in 5 games- one of the better strikers at the GC

if anyone can tell me how this happens, i sure would like some insight

14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think international play favors athleticism. Teams don't have as much time to get tactics down so individual athleticism can make a bigger impact than in club ball. He appeared very motivated which might be that he is just more comfortable with his national team that understands and accepts what he is about.

15. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Well, he is on his way to another stellar 1 - 3 goal MLS season. I used to diminish his Jamaica goals because he was only scoring against low level teams. But, he did have a good Gold Cup here. Chris may be onto something.

I tihnk part of why Portland gives him a new 300 grand contract is they see his Jamaica play and keep HOPING something happens in MLS

he is in his 6th MLS year and is still a 3 goal type of player. I dont see that changing and if I were a Portland fan who cared about salary cap issues, i would be pissed they put 300 grand again into Darren.

16. Angus Walker

Angus Walker New Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I still disagree with this 3 goals a season stat.
    I don't have the stats anymore but when he played for the Whitecaps I worked it out.
    He had one of the highest goals/minutes played in the team.
    I think the fact that he misses about 20 chances before he gets one in makes the fans hate him and the manager reluctant to play him, which makes matters worse, but I personally preferred it when we used to get 20 chances to miss at the Whitecaps, because we rarely do anymore!!

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    good point!! darren is far more entertaining than watching the non-energetic, demoralized, aenemic, fredy montero, who rarely has chances- at least with darren we had the temporary excitement that he might- JUST MIGHT- put 1 in the onion bag; and if he didnt, it was entertaining to see how he would miss and then cuss him for doing so

18. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #18 OldFan2015, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Lets look at Mattocks goals

2012 - 7 *heavily weighted early in the year when he burst on the scene as a rookie
    2013 - 3
    2014 - 6
    2015 - 3
    2016 - 1
    2017 - 1 so far

That is not production acceptable from a striker you paying 300+ grand to in a salary cap situation. Goals per minute is a bit of a nonsense stat even if you can prove it because he gets less minutes because he doesn't produce.

Let me ask you, would you like your starting or #2 striker to be getting 1 - 3 goals a year at the expense of a better player elsewhere because he is eating up 300 grand? If Darren is getting Erik Hurtado money to be a spot starter and bench 4th striker option, no problem. But at his level, its embarassing for Portland they would resign him to a deal that large. They started him last year in the most important game of their season (make or break playoffs), and he of course was a non factor and Portland loses to Vancouver and misses the playoffs.

if you prefer 20 missed chances because it entertains you, great. I prefer to see some goals get in the net from a player who doesn't eat up that kind of salary cap while bumbling and stumbling every time he gets a breakaway. (by the way, the days of 20 missed chances are over. he doesn't get that many anymore).

he is absurdly over rated because he looks good physically and he is fast. That sells early in his career but after 5 1/2 seasons people still hoping for something different baffle me. He is what he is. A 3 goal man who is paid like a guy who scores a lot more.

Nobody can explain away those numbers and say he is a top player and should be paid as such.

19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This thread is hilarious since Mattocks got 10 goals in 2018 and almost all of them were in the first half of the season before Rooney's arrival.

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well it wasnt a laughing matter when he was in vancouver- soooooooo many missed opportunities- he couldnt hit the broadside of a barn door and that was no laughing matter unless the way he missed the goals was comedic

having said that and after a stint in portland, he finally seemed to have arrived this year in DC-- and then the wayne show began and he was relegated to the bench

darren has to be royally pissed and it wouldnt surprise me to see him move on

21. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ah so, he finally had his career year. Good for him. Took him 7 seasons to get there.

22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i see you havent lost your 'hate-on' for darren-- time to let it go--

he got a raw deal in DC and with rooney coming back for 2019, darren would be best to move on to another team...maybe the Whitecaps just to gnaw at your soccer soul

23. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    being critical of an over hyped under performing player (pre 2018 ), is not hate

Although I have seen him outright refuse autographs to little kids, so I certainly don't think he is a quality fellow.

But, I don't hate him. THat is a silly comment

24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    noted

maybe i should have said- you hated the way he played and sometimes his attitude that came across ass arrogant

25. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #25 OldFan2015, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    i disliked the way he was over hyped by the club, over adored by supporters who seemed to think his 3 - 5 goal average was acceptable for someone making his level of salary

And yes, his arrogance to the kids behind BC place when he would arrive in his cab will always leave me thinking poorly of him. It is wrong to get out of a cab and look upwards at an angle to pretend you don't notice the two kids holding a shirt they paid for (or dad paid for ) to get signed. I saw it multiple times like that. he also never did any of the caps community programs unless forced to do it.

So yeah, I don't think he is a good member of the community which good professionals should be.

He also was a guy who would blame the forces of the universe the 95% of times he would flub a break away or a scoring chance. No self awareness.

I commend him on a career season. I wish him all the best next year.