Darrel Porter dies

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by jmeissen0, Aug 7, 2002.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news/ap/20020806/ap-obit-porter.html

darrel was an all-star a couple of times in his career, went to 3 world series, and was troubled with drug addictions

he died today at the age of 50

while clearly not one of the biggest names in baseball during his career, he had a very special meaning to me

everybody picks players that they model themselves after on the playing field

darrel was the person i modeled myself after in baseball

i was a catcher from the second grade until the 8th... i never went out for highschool baseball... but i did everything i could to be like him behind the plate

calling the game, keeping guys composed, to blocking the plate, to throwing runners out (and no one stole on me, no one)... hell, i even copied his not so great average a bit too well ;)

we may have been worlds apart in size and talent, but that's the way things usually are

i'll always remember him most when i think of the cardinals 1982 world series title

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, sorry to hear that. My first baseball memory is seeing Porter lead the Cardinals to the 1982 championship.

3. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a lot of Cardinals croaking this year.

RIP Porter

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Very sad to hear this. I will always remember Porter more as a Royal than a Cardinal because he was one of the key members of the late-70s Royals team that was one of the best in baseball. That was when I was a huge baseball fan and cried every year when they lost to the Yankees in the playoffs.

Strange circumstances - will be interesting to hear the autopsy results.

5. bigsmooth

bigsmooth New Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I'm not a huge baseball fan, but for some reason the '82 Cardinals stand out for me, and the "Suds series" between Milwaukee and St. Louis as one of my faves.

Tom Herr
    Willie McGee
    John Tudor
    Ozzie Smith
    Darrel Porter
    George Hendrick

are just some of the names I remember from the Cards, and I remember Ben Ogilvie, Gorman Thomas and Robin Yount from the Brew Crew. I know Ted Simmons was in the series, but don't remember which team he was on.
    Rest in peace.

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Ted Simmons was playing for the Brewers that year, I think. He had been with the Cards for a long time before then. Another one of my favorite players. Guess I liked catchers. :)

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    aye, they found coke

8. mikelley037

mikelley037 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    R.I.P to all our fallen heroes this year
    Darryl Kile
    Ted Williams
    Jack Buck
    Darryl Porter
    Enos Slaughter
    and many more.........

players should realize that the game isnt all about upfront money, shoe deals, or RBIs with RISP......
    watch teddy ballgame and see what its all about when he played