Darlington Soccer Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by kayasoleil, Feb 3, 2005.

1. kayasoleil

kayasoleil New Member

Aug 14, 2002
    Virginia
    Another academy....http://www.darlington.rome.ga.us/admission/USR-soccerFAQ.asp

Do not know much about other than what one can read on their pages.

Bradenton (FL), St. Stephen's Episcopal (TX), Stattuck-St. Mary (MN), and now Darlington School (GA).

Good sign that the demand for this service, even though it might not be the highest of quality for a while. Association with the Thunder, Silverbacks, and if a club gets going in San Antonio...

I am sure it just will get better and more competitive. Right there they could have a nice little tournament between the four of them. A national soccer academy Cup of sorts. Maybe between the eight of them in 2-4 years.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I continue to think that a sports program requiring a $30,000 annual check is fine for a tiny niche sport like tennis, but maybe a 1% solution for soccer.

3. Dan Roudebush

Dan Roudebush New Member

Mar 31, 1999

Agree. A point I've been making for years.

$30K would support at LEAST 6-7 players at a pro sponsored super club.

4. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're talking about money for history, English and math teachers in this type of "academy," as well as for soccer coaches. No?

5. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Yep.

6. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    To be honest that doesn't look like a soccer academy, more like a standard prep school that kids play soccer, lacrosse, track, and probably rowing/crew to top off the rich kid sports.

Nothing about the link says top notch soccer academy...sorry.

7. kayasoleil

kayasoleil New Member

Aug 14, 2002
    Virginia
    Gotta start somewhere. While it may be true that the school agreed to this partnership as a way to get simply get few more tuition $.... I doubt the soccer program is going into it thinking, " gee, lets do this just to give rich kids something else to do". More than likely, and I am guessing, they wish to make it into the best academy they can.. maybe top notch someday.

If you read the pages, they surely are building a soccer academy. what about it tells you it doesn't look like an academy?

8. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Nothing really says it isn't, but to me it looks more like a prep school. I'm sure they have high hopes and hopefully it will become a full blow soccer academy.

I just don't see it as a full blown academy. Why? They take any player. It's as simple as that to me. Anyone with cxash can go. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea, just if you want the best to be the best. They honestly can't be held back in training with players not up the standard. This academy will have varied levels of playing ability. If they seperate them correctly, then maybe the top players truly improve by pushing each other. If they lump them together, the staff ends up spending extra time with players of lower ability.

I prefer an academy have basic playing ability standards, no different than getting into harvard, stanford, MIT, or any other above average school. It's what makes them worth the money, the fact the best compete against the best. Pushing the scale higher and higher.