Dark - Netflix

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

I finished this ten episode German Netflix original yesterday and I wondered if anyone else had seen it (yet)?

The oft-made comparison is "Stranger Things" but it's more serious, somewhat philosophical in nature and considerably darker (see what I did there?).

I think it's perfectly cast (right down to how much the actors who play the same characters across various time periods genuinely look alike) and it starts off very strong. The second half of the season isn't as good as the first half and some of the dialogue is a bit clunky, but overall I thought it was very enjoyable.

2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I started this last night. I'm halfway through episode 2 and I kind of like it. If the comparison is being made to Stranger Things, well, so far, it's far more compelling than Things.

How's your German, BG? I only ask because I am struggling a bit with the subtitles. I normally like them, I actually like them, because since I read faster than people can speak, I can know what's going to be said so I can pay closer attention to the actors as they deliver their lines. The captioning seems a beat off to me, so I have to spend longer on the subtitles and I'm missing the actors delivering their lines. Plus, captions often help with the identifying of characters early in a show by naming the speaker, but that's not happening here. And the show has deliberately not named most of the characters. Through 90 minutes, I have no idea of the name of the female police detective.

I did hear that the Big Bad involves time travel, and, well, that is fraught. I'm anxious to see how this plays out...

Belgian guy repped this.
  3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    My German (passive) is decent but I do have the subtitles on when I watch this.

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Sometimes they speak very quickly and in a colloquial way that is hard to pick up - hence why the English subtitles appear to lag.

5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I felt the first half of the series was superb

Wasn't such a fan of the second half.

My main feeling is there were simply too many characters and we started to lose track of key people in 2019. I guess they are built up for season 2 but seemed odd.

I also don't like the time machine tech, which i felt worked only as a plot assist and broke the suspension of disbelief I had till that point. Did we really need it? The original time travel worked well.

The model of time is quite interesting I think.

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Anyone watching season 2?

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I will probably get to it eventually though probably not for a couple of weeks.

8. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1. This is my favorite show that Netflix has done. Seasons 1 & 3 were excellent and season 2 was okay. The finale is one of the most satisfying ever filmed.

2. The creators have developed a new show for Netflix, called 1899, and the trailer released this week.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I can't remember how it ended now

10. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Neither world in Season 3 was real and they had been slipping in scenes from the "real" world the whole time. Martha and Jonas jump to the real world during one of Adam's planned attempts to blow everything up and save the day before fading out of existence.

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I remember my beef with the show was by the time I watched s3 I had to consult an elaborate timeline map to remember how everything fitted together.

I suspect it would be best to binge all 3 series in a row rather than years apart?

12. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I binged 1 & 2 about a month before 3 came out. That's when I first heard about it. I feel like it was fresh enough in my mind at that point, but it's also a show that's better on a 2nd or 3rd viewing and it's short enough to watch it a few times over the years.