Dark Knight Please Explain

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Dirt McGirt, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Newcastle fans were as focused - if not more so - on Onyewu than were the "YA" posters... in fact, it's typically been the latter group that has droned on about how Newcaslt can't score goals etc. Interesting how one-sided your criticism is.

I presume those two don't have the critical mass of fanboys that the likes of Howard, Onyewu do. Yes, many posters were capable of a rational discussion of Howard; too bad so many weren't and reacted so poorly to any and all criticism of his abilities.

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now this is the perfect example of the kind of post that is protected on Yanks Abroad when it is directed at any posters that have any opinion contrary to Apoo, Dark knight, Super Dave, The Dude, or any of the other MLS or Yank apologists. Now if if i had made a similar post it would have drawn a yellow card?

Why is that?

I don't care to discuss the Gooch in this thread. What I want to know is why is this site is becoming a safe zone for certain posters to indiscriminately harass other members not in the private club of Yank sycophants and MLS jihadists.

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, the key point here is that this was not a single incursion by the Newcastle guerrilla band, but part of a consistent pattern that began with the loan. The fact that someone responded to their assertion about the defense is neither here nor there with respect to the point I made. Another question--to what extent have YAs insisted on bogarding every Newcastle game commentary thread since Onyewu's arrival?

One sided criticism? You are so hell-bent on typifying The American Soccer Fan as a slap-happy buffoon that you're incapable of making a logical argument about anything remotely close to the subject. It's astonishing to me how somebody who is as capable of intelligence as you seem to be elsewhere derives any enjoyment whatsoever from the exercise. Even if you're right and we ARE all slap-happy buffoons, one would think you'd find the whole thing beneath your efforts.

[/quote] I presume those two don't have the critical mass of fanboys that the likes of Howard, Onyewu do. Yes, many posters were capable of a rational discussion of Howard; too bad so many weren't and reacted so poorly to any and all criticism of his abilities.[/QUOTE]
    Beasley, at least, was at one time regarded by very many as the vanguard of US soccer because of his apparent success in Holland. And yes, it was too bad that the discussion of Howard at Man U was carried more by emotion that thought.

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take it to Yanks Abroad!! Honestly why should your speech be the only one protected?

Look Gooch has looked flat awful as of late and no amount of excuses is going to change that so please drop it already.

This thread is to discuss the unfair use of power and the stifling of honest dialog by certain Mods and Admins so please take your ignorant rant to USA Men or Yanks Abroad.

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    "Newcastle guerrilla band"... you're truly showing your bias again. How ironic you later chastise me for labelling all YAers as slap happy buffoons.

Nice non-sequiteur. I've never claimed that, of course. There are many reasonable posters on YA. My point is - and always has been - that the one-sided moderation is what leads to problems on that board.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Jaypro - you don't seem interested in reading anything that I (or bungadiri more eloquently) have written on this topic, so I'm not sure what else new I can tell you that will change your mind from thinking we are unfair and biased. For instance, this has nothing to do with being an MLS apologist. I have no idea how you feel about MLS and Gooch never played in MLS. An extremely prolific poster who thought very little of MLS was never contacted by me for any reason, even though I strongly disagreed with his point of view.

Honestly - if you took a second to cool off and read what we've been saying, you might realize that this really isn't worth getting that worked up about. Perhaps your brief ban was too harsh if you weren't involved that much in some of the lead up to the latest thread, but I just wanted to get y'all's attention that it's time to let some of that stuff die out and to try to nip the YA vs. Newcastle feud in the bud. Read the latest Gooch thread - there is a Toon fan posting who is placing blame on the goal on Gooch and it's totally fine what he's saying - it's possible to disagree and not be disruptive/confrontational. He also acknowledges and seems respectful of the fact that there might be some sensitivity if folks feel like Gooch is being attacked there. (I'm not saying you attacked Gooch! Sigh.)

7. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Can you be more specific about which problems and what you mean by one-sided? For example, I've asked YA regulars to stop engaging these debates with Newcastle fans - one of whom was warned of a possible forum ban if he didn't stop - and I asked a YA regular to stop posting in a Gooch thread because of this sort of thing. The YA poster I cautioned said - "OK".

8. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Here's a perfect example:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11124032&postcount=1 85

9. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  10. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DK this is the type of biased posting that I'm talking about. If I had made this post in YA what would your reaction been?

You gave me infraction for saying I was smarter than The Dude and you gave me infraction and a thread ban for using the term "fanboy". You gave ToonUSA a thread ban for calling some delusional. Using that logic why is the post still allowed to remain up? It seems it's off topic and to violate the TOS and community guidelines. But since it's SuperDave it's ok to bully and insult other posters.

12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for taking time to explain yourself which is the reason this thread was created in the first place. I still don't agree with your initial decision but I appreciate the fact that you even bothered to show up and post.

13. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette

Don't hold your breath for anything to change. This kind of one-sided moderation has been going on for years.

14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I'm a Newcastle fan? :confused:

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes you think I was talking specifically about you? I was just using your post as a point of reference.

Don't go all Lady Macbeth on us. (Now, that WAS directed at you.)

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to get off topic, but you're such a ********ing hypocrite. On WR, your views on the topic are rather, um malleable.

And with less justification to boot.

17. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    The fact that YA is a treasure trove of dumbness is not inconsistent with believing there are many reasonable posters there.

18. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it wasn't for Knave and Dark Knight you would have been pawned off a long time ago.

19. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For starters, there's nothing particularly derogatory about "Newcastle guerrilla band" (as a matter of fact the guerrillas were the good guys during the Napoleonic wars, at least in my opinion). I think it's pretty apt in its suggestion of a small band making forays against a larger force. Secondly, if you want to convince anyone beyond yourself that I'm biased--not, incidentally, that doing so would constitute a rebuttal to the point you're avoiding so assiduously--you would need to find a pattern in my comments beyond this thread suggesting I have a general objection to Newcastle or even English posters. I'll save you the trouble--you won't find it.

Nonsense. It's not a non-sequitur at all. It follows directly from your charge that I'm merely exercising a bias. I'm astonished that you have so little self-awareness as to make such an accusation. The only time I ever encounter you outside of your persistent abode in the WR DPT--where you spend your time complaining about American posters--is when you're in a thread like this, complaining about American posters.

And what leads to problems in the YA forum is not the moderating. I think it's a particularly well moderated forum. The trouble comes from the nature of the forum itself, as it's situated on an intersection of different interest groups: YA posters (who are for reasons that grow directly from the history of soccer in the US interested first and foremost in YA) and posters from the clubs in which YA play (who are for perfectly understandable reasons interested first and foremost in the clubs themselves). In the vast majority of cases, common courtesy and club-specific forums prevent trouble from happening. This was an instance where both both barriers failed consistently enough to require an intervention.

20. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I think most observers would interpret the phrase "guerilla band" rather less positively, as I did. If you meant something different, then fair enough.

You should get out and about rather more... and, anyway, I'm hardly "complaining" about Yank poster on DPT, they're merely a fertile source of dumb posts. As for this thread, my comments are about the standard of moderating. So yes, it was and is a complete non-sequiteur.

I do agree it's a potentially difficult forum to moderate. However, that doesn't mean it's acceptable for the moderation to be as one-sided as it frequently is. If the forum was reasonably moderated such "interventions" wouldn't overwhelmingly be against those who have dared to express less positive - but often more realistic - views on the performances of YAs. The handling of this instance has been a pretty classic example of poor moderation. It's kind of sad, really, that people who actually have seen YA games often end up giving up posting on YA because they perceive it's just not worth the hassle they are subjected to.

21. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may very well need to get out more, but I come by my current perception of your posting honestly and not without some regret. And no, my responding to your charge of bias in me by saying, in a roundabout way "Biased? You wouldn't know bias if it bit you on your keister because it does so daily and you haven't noticed it yet" is not a non-sequitur.

I post in the YA forum frequently, because a) I'm interested in YA, b) I like in-game threads best and there are a lot of them there, and c) precisely because I found out early that as long as you mind your manners you're less likely to get the "you ain't from around here are you, son" [cue the squinty-eyed, shotgun cleaning hillbilly surrounded by snarling hound dogs] response than you are in other forums, especially the club-specific ones. In other words, my personal experience with YA is very nearly exactly the opposite of what you assert here.

And, to return to the beginning of this thread, the case of the Newcastle posters was not one of a well-intentioned group with a different perspective being run off; it's a case of a group who came to the forum and very quickly and persistently presented their own perspective as uniquely privileged and valid (also, check your pms). It's not surprising they were required to put a sock in it. As for the pattern of moderation, it's no different from any other forum (and it's not nearly as pronounced as you make it out to be). The ethos of the locals is protected most and it's up to newcomers to adjust.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see I wasn't clear.

My point was that WR has extremely biased mods, but FOR NO REASON. I mean, the mods in the LA Galaxy forum aren't going to treat LA fans exactly like DC fans, and that's as it should be. In YA, people who root for the players aren't going to be treated the exact same as fans of the teams, and that's as it should be. But it WR, there's no reason that English posters should get preferential treatment. But they do. That's why, of all the surveys I looked at, the WR mods got BY FAR the worst scores. Damn, even I was embarassed for them. I mean, sure, Matt and Prenn suck hard, but even they didn't deserve THAT kind of beat down.

23. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Lol, so if they are so biased how come you haven't been banned from there? I mean, you've given them every opportunity.

Of course moderators on WR get crap scores; that's the nature of the beast. Even it had by far the best moderators on BS, they would still get the worst scores.

24. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, I got more positive rep from Mexican posters than your 1 negative. Things need to be said in a constructive manner, if all I read are people like yourself putting everything MLS or US down just because its so then who is being the prick first?

25. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    if me posting the truth makes me a prick then so be it.. but I will not play down the mediocrity of the MLS... not for you or anyone...