Dark day for football: Anders Frisk quits out of fear

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by ddw31089, Mar 12, 2005.

1. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I just saw news in a Swedish newspaper that the referee, Anders Frisk, has quit refereeing football because of death threats to him and his family. The threats stem from his officiating from the first leg of Chelsea vs Barcelona where he gave Dider Drogba his controversial second yellow.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/story/0,2789,616113,00.html

The interview mainly says that Frisk no longer feels safe refereeing because of threats he has got for his entire family and that he has decided to never go out on a field again as a referee. He says that the threats have escalated every day and have been over the phone, email and normal post and been directed to not just him but his family as well. He also says that the threats are coming from Chelsea fans, but not just limited to England as there are Chelsea fans all over the world (including Sweden).

Frisk also goes on to say that what makes it worst is that he was a Chelsea fan growing up.

Mods - If this is in the wrong forum or has already been posted then go ahead and move it/delete it.

2. Argentina Girl

Argentina Girl New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Death threats to him and his family...how very sad :( This is not good for football.

3. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    On one hand I can understand it... on the other hand I think it´s a bit weak. But it´s his decision of course.

Of course messing with someone´s personal life is over the edge.

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sad indeed!!! He was a good ref.

5. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    :rolleyes:

6. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    There's also a thread in the referee forum....you might want to check it out as well.

7. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Spare me your :rolleyes: if it´s too hard too grasp for your little mind.

8. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    ********ing Mourinho's fault. The classless son of a bitch.

9. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    That's a bit harsh, but his stupid behaviour definitely contributed to it. Guess he's already used to death threats though.

10. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    I know but I believe Mourinho spouting his mouth was the last straw for him.

11. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    In any case, Mourinho's behaviour did nothing to calm down crazy 'supporters'. Just because of him I hope Chelsea get kicked out as fast as possible.

12. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    That is what I meant to say about his comments. Then he gloats in front the team they were hosting and completely spoils the game to me as I was a neutral. The game was a classic IMO but he has no decency.

13. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    If you think it's at all weak, then you are obviously the one having trouble understanding.

14. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    I completely agree with this.

15. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    How exactly is it weak?

16. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    This is an area that has not drawn enough attention. Briberies have gotten most of the headlines but intimidations such as death threats are a big problem too in my opinion.

17. serieAfan89

serieAfan89 New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    North Carolina
    he's probably saying it's weak because he's giving in to the pressure of his supporters...just a guess though

18. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Not quite, receiving threats is one thing, being in actual danger is quite another. The thought of quitting crossing yo sur mind is very understandable. But quitting within about 3 weeks is quite fast IMO especially given the (alledged) source of the threats and the specific situation as it is now.

It´s the easiest way out, and understandable. But I still feel it´s a bit weak to just throw the towel and be done with it.

19. ronaldinhobr10

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  20. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Definitely one of the best refs out there

21. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    sorry but frisk has always been a total disaster in the swedish league. i have never seen him do a good game while refereeing in sweden and i strongly want to emphasize that he is under no circumstances a good ref. and adding to that he is such an attention whore i even doubt that he will retire he is just doing this for publicity

the horrible call and the explanation he gave after the derby between djurgården and aik still hunts me... luckily we won the match anyways.

ask any swede if he is a good ref and they will answer no!

22. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Way to go Chelsea.

23. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree. He's just one of those refs who thinks he's a star and takes a great love in booking people and being a bit melodramatic.

I can't see how anyone can blame Mourinho for celebrating Chelsea's win. There's not a manager in the world who wouldn't have celebrated such a win in similar fashion. He ran onto the pitch to celebrate with his players. It's not like he was taunting the Barcelona player in any way at all. Besides, it doesn't make the remotest amount of sense to suggest any threats would have increased after Chelsea won. As for his comments about the Drogba incident, well yes, because no manager has ever complained about a player being sent off before have they?

24. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    You're just a moronic prick. You're still angry Mourinho beat you last year. That's the only reason for your outburst. You're so far up SAF's ass you can't see anything other than the crap he shovels you.
    Mourinho's fault? Because he suggested, correctly, that the card was absoulte nonsense? Which it was, it was a bad call. Frisk has never been a good referee. That call was hardly a surprise. (Deco dive? Whaaaaa?)
    So does this mean coaches are never allowed to criticize referees anymore? What about your beloved SAF who moaned about the officiating in Porto when a legitimate goal (which would NOT have sent you through) was disallowed? Oh, that was OK, because it was for Manchester United, but Mourinho's not allowed to complain because you don't like him? All referees complain about officiating. And, quite frankly, if Frisk DID talk to Rijkaard in private, Mourinho has every right to bring that up. Until the matter is brought up, you haven't a clue who was right.
    The point is, Mourinho has NO blame here. He is absolutely within his rights to complain about officiating. If there wasn't a perception of him as an ************** (right or wrong) then no one pays this a second glance. But because you don't like him, its wrong. No, its not. Mourinho didn't call Frisk a cheat. He didn't call Frisk a bad referee. He alleged a meeting, which, again, is completely inappropriate if it occurred. If Frisk was sure of being cleared, why not stay and fight this out? If he knows nothing happened?

First, you idiot, you are NOT a neutral. To even suggest that is absolutely ridiculous. You can't stand Mourinho and you don't like Chelsea. You've trolled our boards repeatedly. Neutral my ass. You're as neutral as a Real Madrid fan during a Barcelona - Espanyol game.
    Second, Mourinho didn't GLOAT. He didn't run to Rijkaard and make fun of him. He celebrated. Which he's within his rights of doing. Chelsea had just defeated one of the 3 best teams in Europe. The team whose players were making pejorative remarks about Chelsea all week. The team that alleged, among other things, that "Chelsea were the worst team they'd seen", that they were "sure we will go through" that "I am better than most Chelsea players and will show them why they should have bought me; I will kill them with my speed". So after a bull$hit call in the first leg which results in a sending off and a nervewracking second game which was settled 10 minutes from time you're damn right Chelsea players and fans wanted this game. And Mourinho celebrated. If Barcelona hadn't acted like such pricks, this wouldn't have been so emotionally charged. As it is, they got their words stuffed down their craw, and Mourinho celebrated. Deal with it.
    This is just like Mourinho's shushing gesture. Everyone's upset, but no one can quite figure out what's so bad about it, since players celebrate that way ALL THE TIME.
    Finally, you bringing up the notion that you're a neutral is insulting to everyone who has more brainwaves than a crossbreed between a rock and an amoeba.

You, I expected better from. Mourinho's behavior did nothing to calm down the crazy supporters? Its not his job! He doesn't coach supporters, he coaches players. All he alleged was an inappropriate meeting. If any Chelsea fan takes that as a provocation to call in death threats to referees, no one can possibly draw the conclusion it was Mourinho's actions that did it. It just shows that certain Chelsea "fans" are idiots. There is NO justification for doing that. And certainly nothing Mourinho did can be blamed for it.
    Besides, something here's not checking out. There hasn't been an incident with Chelsea fans doing anything in years. And Chelsea WON the tie. So, in theory, all would be forgiven, right? Drogba's back, Chelsea go through. And the only complaint Mourinho had was of that meeting. If Frisk is so sure he's done nothing wrong, why's he running? I don't buy this. Oh, and to repeat - he's a crap referee, and he always has been.

OK. Mourinho's a coach who is beloved by his own fans and hated by some opposition fans. I'm OK with that. Although, to be honest, I didn't really mind what he did with Porto. I just hated Porto's diving, which has now clearly been revealed to be Porto diving, not Mourinho diving.
    Sure, he's arrogant. If I were him, I'd be too.

25. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Please explain how this is Chelsea's fault. Do go on. Say, has Eto'o threatened to retire again recently?