Daniel Hernandez update [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by beineke, Oct 24, 2003.

1. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    After making a string of appearances as a late-game sub, Hernandez got to play a bigger role on Sunday when Juan Reynoso left the game in minute 30 with an injury described as a thigh bruise. Necaxa was trailing 1-0 when he entered and went on to lose 2-0.

On Wednesday, Hernandez started in place of Reynoso and went the full 90 in a 0-0 draw with Cruz Azul. In the ESPN match report, he was mentioned for saving a shot off the goal line.

With 7(?) games to go, Necaxa is in solid playoff position. They are first in their group and fourth overall.

2. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Thanks for the update. I was one of the few Metros fans who thought Hernandez was a solid to better than solid player. Hopefully he'll catch on now at Necaxa.

3. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    I'm surprised that Daniel is not a regular starter in the Mexican League

4. mercer

mercer New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Little Rock, AR
    Seems like he was a starter at the beginning of the season, for a game or two anyway. Not sure if that was due to someone else's injury, though.

Thanks for the update. Is Reynoso a defender?

5. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe once daniel settles in, learns the language, and gets used to mexican life, he will play better and get more time on the field.

6. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    learns the language? isnt he mexican?

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F U C { Hernandez...******** malinche!

No, he used to be a Texan. From Tyler in east Texas, where the country boys play football and soccer very well. That's where Earl Campbell is from also.
    But Daniel then he decleared his intent to defect to el Tri if The Bruce didn't call him up more often.
    The word for him is Malinche or Malinchisto.

(for newbies, Malinche was the Aztec indian girl that became Cotez's translator and thus helped get the Aztecs exterminated. So Malinche is a Mexican way to call someone a traitor)

8. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexican-American is a better description, I think.

This bio says he's fluent in English and Spanish.

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he had lost his starting position in MLS so it is not as if he is a great player. He was, I would say, an avergae player. Below average quickness with an above average shot.But when the Revs got Shalrie Joseph, who is a much better player, he was toast.And as usual, he had a lot to say about it.

10. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Or maybe the coaches were wrong about him. I'm sorry, but I rate players based on my own observations, when available, not on someone else's.

He was better than average in MLS. Composed on the ball, great free kicks, good passer, strong. I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

And dontcha just love footfetish. He assumes that everyone is as naive as he is. It's adorable, really.

11. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually agree that he's a fairly quality player, but that was never the problem. The reason he got ridden on a rail out of both the Metros and Revs was because he was a headcase with a big mouth, not because he sucked.

12. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for those of you who have no sense of humor, this was sarcasm.

13. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daniel is a better than average player. He'd start for most MLS teams. Unfortunatly (for him) Sharlie Joseph is a better player. I watched the Necaxa-Cruz Azul match in Matamoros, Mexico with a bunch of Necaxa supporters. They spoke highly of him and think he'll be a regular starter next season. He played very well against Cruz Azul. He was a big reason they didn't score. I highly doubt he'll play for the US or Mexico. I don't think he's good enough to break into either side.

14. MLS3

MLS3 New Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daniel Hernandez can't cut it in MLS, I'm in the he sucked camp...

As for ever being on the US Nats, thats a joke to..

Now for him being quality in the Mexican league, he has a shot, and for making the Mexican Nats, theres a good chance at that...

He's setting the precendent, Mexican-Americans that can't get into the USMNT picture can just goto the Mexican team, where the quality of players isn't as high...

15. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (reads MLS3's post),
    (checks for smiley indicating humor),
    (thinks of all the trolls who'll jump on this),....

Buff,save some time and bin this into Rivalries now...

;)

16. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Wowwwww

I just have to say that Necaxa lost 2 of thier best defensive players last season, and for him not to be an automatic starter... speaks volumes

17. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    :rolleyes:

For the record, Necaxa has the #1 defense in all of Mexico, allowing an even 1.00 gpg. Hernandez's old team, New England, has the second-worst defense in MLS. Hernandez, who has never held down an MLS starting job, plays a similar role for both teams.

Spin that however you want.

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I for one never said he sucked. But he is also not outstanding. As I posted he has an excellent shot but he is rather slow, both in foot speed and ( more importantly) in quickness.The lack of quickness is a limitation for a defensive midfielder. Put simply, Hernandez is a defensive midfielder who does not win many balls.Shalrie Joseph plays the same position and wins balls all over the field, then makes good, simple passes.
    In truth Hernandez's mouth was a problem too, but primarily in the light that he was an average player who had lost his position, and THEN went to the press to complain about the coach.Any coach who would tolerate that loses his teams respect. Bad enough a superstar making pronouncements, but surely no one will put up with that nonsense from a limited player like Hernandez.

19. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Necaxa has been a good defensive team the past 6 years and part of that has to do with the coach. He has been with them for like 5-6 years. Longest era so in recent times considering others let go of their coaches after 4-5 seasons.

THey are also known as the king of ties. THey are also crticized fro not playing an attacking style soccer. Thy are also known to defend a one goal lead.

spin that however you want.

Here is something that you didnt find in your google search.

Necaxa lost Chava Cabrera (heart and soul of the defense) and Luis E. Perez (young defensive mid and prospect to go to Germany 2006).

Well for other reasons, they were released. Part of that has to do with the recent move to Aguascalientes. They didnt know if they were going to be a smash hit over there and did not want to risk paying one of the highest salaries in the MFL in front of zero people.

So, they loan out Luis E Perez and did not renew Chava Cabrera's contract.

THey already had one of thier foreigner spots used in backfield. They didnt want to use another foreigner sport for a defensive position. Mexican players dont come cheap. Luckily for Daniel, he was able to play as a Mexican and came with a dirt cheap price tag

20. MLS3

MLS3 New Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets all face the facts, I'm talking straight National Teams, Mexico can't hang with the US...

Hernandez has a chance to make Mexico's team...

He has zero chance to play for the US...

21. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    All I've done is state some facts. You're the one applying spin.

And what interesting spin it is ... Necaxa is known to defend a lead? You realize that's just good tactics, right? Looking at Mexico's recent World Cup performances, I've got to wonder ...

22. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    All I've done is state some facts. You're the one applying spin.

And I guess that is why you rolled your eyes in your previous post

And what interesting spin it is ... Necaxa is known to defend a lead?

For 70-80 minutes? Whats entertaining about that?

I can understand that in the playoffs, but its not the like team that leads the table at the end of the regular season is crowned champion.

You realize that's just good tactics, right?

I dont believe in bunkerball. That is antifootball. Bunkering for 70-80 minutes. He is known to do that.

But if you look at the past 5 years, the most successful teams have been Toluca and America.. and why? because they attack, and contrary to belief, they usually have the best or one of the best defenses around.

Looking at Mexico's recent World Cup performances, I've got to wonder ...

basing this on one WC. Sure it suits you, but lets not over do it. If the US can repeat 2002, then maybe I will show a little bit more respect thier way.

But back to the topic, Daniel is not Tri material.

23. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    and basing this off of what???

Are you familiar with Mexico's depth pool at that position? Or what??

24. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I'm not going to address what Beineke said, but what volumes does this speak, exactly?

That Hernandez isn't good enough to start for a top 5 Mexican team?

It's not exactly like Hernandez was lighting things up in MLS either. He was shipped out because nobody thought he was talented to trade for him and his big contract, after a clearly superior player emerged in New England.

The fact that a guy is not starting for a Mexican league team, when he likely would have been starting for very few MLS teams, isn't exactly an indictment of anything United Statesian. Perhaps you could comment on this, and stop flailing out at anything you find demeaning of your league or country.

25. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think back in May (IIRC), when he was being shopped around for a trade, a lot of MLS GM's didn't want to pull the trigger on a swap because they felt that if his talent wasn't a risk, then his attitude may have been. That's something which I believe hastened his move to the Mexican league.

And with reference with what RDL has been hinting at, and irrespective of whether he's either eligible or deserving of a call-up for the Mexican national team, Hernandez isn't USMNT material, either.

One, there are far too many other midfielders and defenders ahead of him on any kind of hypothetical depth chart, and part of that isn't a sleight on his overall game. He's a decent touch on set pieces, but sometimes he gives you a good game and a bad game-- all in the same game!

I don't think he's consistent enough to be considered international calibre, for the USA, Mexico, or even Mars.