Dan Gargan and a Box of Crayons: The Marketing and PR Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by barroldinho, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    As some of you know, Brendan Hannan, who had been the top executive in charge of marketing and communications for the Galaxy for almost 8 years, left right before the season began. Looks like his replacement has been hired from the Philadelphia Union:

2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^Wait. They didn't have a CMO? For a club with our history?

I kinda don't get it.

I guess we didn't want to pay for a "c" level. Well, now that we do have a CMO, I no longer expect to see chamipons.

I do want to see champions.

Geneva, Baysider, The Cadaver and 4 others repped this.
  3. LenPa

LenPa Member

TSV 1860 München
    Germany
    May 12, 2021
    Munich
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I get your point but for me it is just a name of a position (but of course can be linked to salary/power). Nevertheless, I am wondering that it took so long till someone new was hired (who gathers the responsibilities) as it is a highly important position (to generate money/represent the club/standing).

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  4. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Ah come on Berks you get it. A decade-plus of a marketing department run by folks who knew how to tweet and had to wing all the traditional stuff. No chance in hell a CMO would approve a kit launch with a camera phone and awful Photoshop let alone allow it to reach the public.

Berks, Geneva, footballfantatic and 2 others repped this.
  5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jury is still out. I want to see how good this new person is. I mean, not like the Union were setting the marketing world on fire.

I'm a little disappointed they went with someone from another team rather than experimenting a bit. I dunno, I expect a little more from our club.

That said, maybe he's great! I sure hope so.

skydog, Lazy Assed Assassin and TrickHog repped this.
  6. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    #2231 Lazy Assed Assassin, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Chris Thomas leaving as well.

That was not the farewell message of someone happy with the current state of things.

Ultimately I’d say while there may have been lots of metrics showing the success of social media, awards from MLS and kudos from peers the ultimate metric for an MLS marketing team has to be butts in seats and COVID aside that’s been pretty stagnant for a decade.

This new CMO might well be status quo or worse, but the previous team hadn’t achieved much success in that department.

Berks, shelbo, MPNumber9 and 3 others repped this.
  7. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I may be misremembering, but the only thing I recall related to Chris Thomas is the infamous Chamipon moment and also him coming here into our forum and belittling some posters. I'd also like to think that he was the inspiration for Barroldinho to start this thread.

8. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance is lagging and the marketing of the team is nearly non-existent, besides the ephemeral social media. We rely too much on star players and the small numbers of the SGs to create a buzz and bring new people.

There have been some marketing slogans this season, like Community and Family. But, there’s relatively little there, there.

There are lots of fans who love the team for what it is. The greatest team in the world! But, Galaxy marketing is doing, and has been doing, a poor job of adding to that loving fan base.

Berks, shelbo, cleschke and 8 others repped this.
  9. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Quintessential example of someone resting on their laurels too much. Whenever I hear the phrase, America's premier soccer team, I always feel it's like half trolling everyone.

Video dept normally kills it though and the community kits this season is pretty sweet.

shelbo and TrickHog repped this.
  10. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agree 100%

11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2236 TrickHog, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    I don't remember if it was Chris, but someone from the Galaxy marketing department did come into a thread and got into it a little bit with the regulars, and then a mysterious new poster on BS showed up and started defending the Galaxy marketing department.

So of course I used my Mod Powers (#MP!) and checked and sure enough the Galaxy employee and the mysterious new poster were both posting from the same IP address....

:whistling:

napper, 7E23, Berks and 8 others repped this.
  12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to say it was after we criticized them for using a watermarked sample image from a stock footage company in one of their online adds.... but I might be misremembering it...

13. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

14. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    hav77 repped this.
  15. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    #2240 FlapJack, Aug 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Big soccer Galaxy Forum remembers our beloved Chris Thomas, who gave us countless hours of enjoyment ridiculing his efforts. Genius deconstructionist marketing or monkeys with typewriters? Discuss.

shelbo and hav77 repped this.
  16. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought their (his?) efforts got much better in recent years. Seems like quite an FO exodus this year. Would be very Galaxy like to finally get their shit together on the field just to become a gong show off it.

they certainly are struggling in the sales department and need more reps and more ideas. Lots of turnover there too.

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  17. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team needs a marketing makeover, and I'm glad to see them attempt it. Good luck, Galaxy.

And I remember all the Chris Thomas discussions. Suffice to say I didn't find him a kindred spirit - at times his professionalism could have used some work. But I'm sure there were some good times and I wish him well.

FlapJack, Berks, shelbo and 3 others repped this.
  18. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2243 GalaxyOne, Aug 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Sounds to me that perhaps that's why he's leaving. Management may be tying his hands (by limiting funding) from doing things he thinks are needed to improve.

edits:
    Or could be resting on laurels, as was also suggested.

I just get the impression that the direction from the top is to cut costs. We therefore end up with young DPs at $2.5M per year rather than aging stars at $10M per year, and no more billboards all over the place. If attendance takes a bit of a hit, no problem, because the Galaxy is still probably ahead of the game, budget wise. Not sure I favor this approach in principle, because in the past we were the team that spent our way to success and it was lots of fun.

But Vanney seems to be doing well so far with the new model. We are just one of many teams using this model, so will probably be harder to win championships. Though with 30 teams in the league, that is a given anyway. Could be a very long race for seis, though.

hav77, mbar and TrickHog repped this.
  19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hav77 repped this.
  20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyway, I wish Chris much succses in his future endeavors.

21. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love you guys.

So much.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  22. Vapor32

Vapor32 Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Mexico
    Aug 21, 2021
    Honestly pretty happy to see those two gone. They really had no idea what Southern California was actually about, they did a pretty bad job.

I would love to see the jobs go to people who ACTUALLY WERE BORN AND RAISED here. People who actually get So Cal culture. Maybe then all our marketing wouldn't be a joke. Plastic FC marketing beats the crap out of ours.

23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right back atcha!

hav77 and Berks repped this.
  24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Chris, be careful- don’t let the dore hit you in the but when you leve.

FlapJack, napper, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  25. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very clever. Put me in the group of people that aren’t particularly sad to see him go. His attitude about stuff (particularly the big soccer escapade several years back) just rubbed me the wrong way.