Dan Gargan and a Box of Crayons: The Marketing and PR Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by barroldinho, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The community has been universally loved across the fan bass. I’d be interested to see what the players think. Hoping to get my hands on a jersey soon. Last Galaxy jersey I got was a Mike Magee 2011 Jersey. Think I’m due a new one.

2. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I would buy a Magic Mike community jersey.

3. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does everybody really love that community jersey? Because I don't. It's OK, as a novelty throwback jersey for a couple years, but I wouldn't want to see it as a permanent style. It is nicer than the original black throwback jersey that came out about 6-7 years ago, which I really did not like. I never favored the original version the community jersey is based upon, and then new one is certainly nicer than the original, but certainly not among my favorite Galaxy jerseys.

4. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1 for the Community kit. It's awesome.

Dawdler, TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  5. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The community jersey also looks good on someone who maybe put on a few pounds over the pandemic and needs to hide his belly.

So I've been told....

Beakmon FC, 2in10, hav77 and 5 others repped this.
  6. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive noticed the same unfortunately......

2in10, Dawdler and TrickHog repped this.
  7. Skincoug

Skincoug Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    All the community kit love (deservedly so) has got me thinking:

We were the first to embrace the now ubiquitous all white kits, which as we were winning championships felt like a seriously smart move by the Beckham powers that be. Those, plus the iconic and original diagonal sash, just oozed being in a league of our own.

But, the original colors and vertical stripes of the early Galaxy years are iconic on a level that only DC United can lay claim to as well - and still hold a mystique as evidenced by the excitement of the community kits.

As every club pushes all white and black kits, along with ridiculous 3rds (what have you done to us Jimi Hendrix Seattle?), why can’t we once again stick our flag in the sand as the gold standard on and off the pitch?

I propose we never again have an away navy or a third kit. We have another opportunity to demonstrate we are in a galaxy of our own.

The LA Galaxy should be the only club brave and iconic enough to run two kits only. An all white with diagonal sash and then a darker palette homage to the original, which pulls in the vertical stripes and some green/yellow/black combination redesigned every cycle.

That would be iconic and refreshing in what has become a race to have a different, but seemingly always the same, kit as everyone else all the time.

Please, somebody, send this to someone that can do something about it. They don’t even have to give me credit for it!

MPNumber9, hav77, Beakmon FC and 5 others repped this.
  8. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crayola box jerseys are still my favorite.

hav77 repped this.
  9. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this idea. I wouldn't scrap the navy necessarily, but I like the idea that the away kit is always a throwback or can incorporate colors from any era -- black / green, gold / green, or navy / gold etc.

Bilgediver and hav77 repped this.
  10. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2210 shelbo, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
    I love all 89 pages of this thread, from Chamipons! to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looking at the new Columbus SC "brand package", I just hope their fans have a place like this to help each other laugh in the face of management idiocy.

Edited to add this beautiful bit of corporate speak: “The current direction of our Club and our city provides a natural time to examine our identity going forward,” said Crew President & General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. “Our identity and brand evolution includes a shift in our mindset to be consistent contenders on the pitch, but also includes evolving our look both in the community and across competitions. With the upcoming completion of our new, modern, dynamic stadium, our world-class OhioHealth Performance Center, and coming off an MLS Cup championship, our marks are aligned with where we are headed as a city and as an organization. We are proud to represent Columbus on the global stage of soccer and aspire to help elevate the city and honor it for what it has done for the Club. We are Columbus Soccer Club, we are The Crew, and we will always be the Black & Gold.”

hav77, mbar, skydog and 1 other person repped this.
  11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    "our brand evolution includes a shift in our mindset to be consistent contenders on the pitch" - what the hell was their mindset before?

"our marks are aligned with where we are headed as a city" - What dimension are we talking here? North-south? How can you tell if a mark is pointing toward urban sprawl? Do you have to use a special patented alignment tool to find out?

Utter Corporatese BS. LOL!

https://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html

As for myself, I'm synergistically delivering cutting-edge methods of empowerment.

12. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG, thank you so much for that website! I am going to use this on all my Webex calls.

Bilgediver repped this.
  13. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Si.com trashing the New Crew:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/05/10/columbus-sc-crew-team-name-mls-rebrand

Initially the Galaxy name seemed....odd, but I've grown to love it over the years.
    I think it's an awesome, unique brand. It wasn't so long ago I heard calls (pre LAFC) to rebrand the name and move to DTLA. I'm glad we've stayed the course. Now let's win some trophies again!

14. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tbh I never understood us copying the types of other club names from Europe. "Sporting", FC is obviously generic to me. Real made the least sense because it was always "Royal", and us Am-uricans should despise royalty (=P).

I like our unique names. Some of them were kinda dumb (Wizards?) But If they reflect regional pride, that's awesome to me, Timbers, Rapids, Galaxy, Sounders, Whitecaps, etc... Are all regional names that reflect the home area. And I love that.

hav77, Beakmon FC, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  15. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I’m honestly flabbergasted. Columbus front office "we need to drop Crew from our branding". Literally the first piece of marketing, upper-left in the golden triangle is "The Crew" posted in a twitter account with a handle of @TheCrew

I mean this right here could not be more of a mixed message.
    We are The Crew … except not officially. I’m not a brand manager, but it seems likely that when rebranding a wishy-washy message that tries to distance and embrace the former brand is treading in to New Coke territory.

hav77, TrickHog, mbar and 1 other person repped this.
  16. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can look forward to a "Classic Crew" rebrand rebrand in the future!

17. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a league full of horrible re-brands, Columbus SC We Are The Crew 96 steps forward to claim the throne of ineptitude.

Beakmon FC, hav77, shelbo and 2 others repped this.
  18. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, in the US, it's called soccer, not football, and we have teams, not clubs.
    So it really should be "Columbus Soccer Team". That would really put them on the map with the denizens of the "global stage of soccer". (And by the way, how ridiculous is that? Columbus, Ohio? On the "global stage of soccer"? What are they smoking over there?)

19. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol.
    I'm not personally a stickler for soccer versus football.
    Technically it's ALL football, gridiron, association, and rugby. Soccer was derived from the way they used to nickname the sport in certain parts of England they would abbreviate and add "ah" to the end. So Association football was shortened to "Sock-ah", and was used interchangeably up through the 90s even. It's only the rise of US of A and the fact that we inexplicably only used the "soccer" name (to differentiate between gridiron, which was more popular). And England in it's stiff upper lip superiority dropped "soccer" like a hot potato.

shelbo, TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  20. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I got it, I got it...how about THE Columbus SC? Instant brand recognition.

Grumpy in LA, 7E23, shelbo and 2 others repped this.
  21. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are we concerned if some other team wants to make fools of themselves?

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  22. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like Columbus' new crest.

hav77 repped this.
  23. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    It’s just nice it’s not the Galaxy this time ;)

hav77, Baysider, shelbo and 2 others repped this.
  24. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, I wouldn’t mind going back to the days of being chamipons if it meant being chamipons, ya know?

Berks, TrickHog and shelbo repped this.
  25. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kgzero, hav77, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.