Dan Gargan and a Box of Crayons: The Marketing and PR Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by barroldinho, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there

2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    barroldinho and Beakmon FC repped this.
  3. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    FFS, MLS. Talk about not doing yourselves any favors when it comes to public perception.

The league gives far more awards to its executives than it does players and coaches

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/10/08/mls-2019-year-end-awards-finalists-revealed

Given the accusations that MLS is too corporate, this is staggeringly tone-deaf. What the hell do half of these awards means?

LA Galaxy got Public Relations Team of the Year? For what? From what I've seen of how this team has has handled relations with the fan base, I dread to think what the rest of the league must be doing.

MPNumber9, JPAR, The Cadaver and 2 others repped this.
  4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2154 MPNumber9, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    We put a mic in front of Zlatan. Seriously, tho -- I read on Twitter that in 2019 the LA Galaxy was one of the 20 most discussed clubs in the world.

But I agree, this is a weird thing. I never quite know who this is for.

Edit: Not to gloss over your point about relating to actual fans, what's really funny is that, for all the talk of what a coup getting Zlatan has been, I wonder how many know he doesn't acknowledge one of our oldest supporter's groups? (i.e. doesn't celebrate in front of LARS) Apparently he (and the FO) asked LARS to join ABC behind the North goal and when they refused, he basically gave them the finger. Kinda underscores LA Galaxy public relationships.

5. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yup.

I sit with LARS and discussed that with one of the Capos at length. At the end of each game, when the crowd has largely cleared out, they give their LARS man-of-the-match award to the respective player. Last season (this is secondhand from other LARS members - I was already escaping the parking lot) when he was given his first MOTM award, apparently he was pretty frosty. He allegedly never showed for another.

This led to the controversial decision not to include him in voting for the LARS POTY award: it wasn't so much a diss as a decision to avoid souring the occasion by having a winner potentially not turn up, or even have a poor attitude if he did.

I very much put this on the FO though. They'd already made this request on more than one occasion and had the reasons for not merging ACB and LARS explained to them. However, they just had LAFC's crowd getting plaudits and now we know that their 2016 study found that big, loud SGs apparently sell tickets, so I guess they figured that by springing Zlatan on them with a request to do so, the SGs would feel obligated (note that it wasn't explained ahead of time what the meeting would be about - just that Zlatan and co had something they wanted to raise).

So in one fell swoop, the FO creates bad blood between Zlatan, LARS and again thrust the whole controversy into the limelight, actually causing bad feelings between certain fans and SGs too.

The FO also crapped on us both in not defending (or even investigating) our SGs over LAFC accusations of vandalism and in not demanding any action when LAFC fans responded in kind.

L.A. Native, JPAR, TrickHog and 3 others repped this.
  6. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I think that this is pretty obvious (albeit frustrating). Public relations has to do with presenting a favorable image of the Galaxy to the general public. It has zip to do with communications to the current fans or season/package seatholders. It has even less to do with supporters group relations.

Getting a really cute and talented young girl to sing the national anthem and having Zlatan smile captured on video and loaded on to YouTube or broadcast on late night talk shows or the local news is great pr. Getting the supporters groups to get along and move on management's desired direction is more a problem management issue. Screwing this up, by perhaps using the pr team to negotiate this is even more a pure management failure.

The Cadaver, TrickHog and MPNumber9 repped this.
  7. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Berks, skydog, napper and 3 others repped this.
  8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as we give our marketing and sales departments grief (and rightfully so) they also do a lot of great things.

Berks, barroldinho, shelbo and 2 others repped this.
  9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind the awards...I hope we win more than the ones we got. Awards happen at every company, that's okay....I just want to win more than PR and a twitter campaign. Operations, tickets and marketing would be nice. ATL's "Kings become legends" sounds pretty darn cool.

10. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know if it’s just me, but most of our PR stuff this past season seemed more toned down, more professional and overall slightly less childish. Occasionally there’d be stupid spelling mistakes or the usual old sophomoric shenanigans, but overall I thought I was picking up on what might be a culture shift. Anybody else get that feeling?

73Bruin, Geneva and TrickHog repped this.
  11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe theres been a change in some of the social media team last 2 seasons.

Yes ive noticed as well

12. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TrickHog repped this.
  13. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone catch those appearances?

I got this from my season ticket rep, but I haven't really seen it promoted anywhere else. Pretty cool idea.

LA Galaxy Day
    On Sunday, March 1, businesses across Los Angeles will celebrate LA Galaxy Day offering discounts for Galaxy fans across the Southland.

Berks and TrickHog repped this.
  14. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is awesome! Hope it goes well tomorrow!

TrickHog repped this.
  15. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    napper, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  16. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    You know I actually think the "no experience necessary" is unwarranted. Simple doesn't mean bad, in fact simple is much harder because you can't hide fundamentally bad design under a patina of "cool" photoshop effects.

The one with the Galaxy’s two crests in silhouette is actually quite interesting. It shows the power of symbology in they’re immediately recognizable to what they are. Compare that to say LAFC who I think you'd be hard pressed to differentiate from Orlando, RS and San Jose if you weren’t big fan. TBF it helps there’s the older crest which was really unique.

The calligraphic 96 with the five starts above has a really successful use use of positive and negative shape interplay where the sum is greater than the whole. The mirrored and flipped shapes to create the 9 and 6 works really well. The extra shape above the 6 is superfluous to the intent of the design, but contributes to successful negative/positive space. I’d be interested to see it without, but my gut says it wouldn’t work

The Haysolo un LA shirt is (yellow circle with black logotypes). It’s competent. The use of the Galaxy secondary quasar mark is nice, but unlike the silhouette of the first shirt I don’t think the quasar has the market awareness to work by itself.

The Los Angeles, 1996 … Getting more obscure as we move forward, if the quasar had minimal brand recognition, Los Angeles, 1996 is a stretch. You’d really have to be a Galaxy fan to recognize the significance of this one. The comma is distracting, I have some vague notion of either a typography rule or writing style guide cautioning against ending a line with a comma – I could be wrong – but the way we read the comma acts a pause and a bridge mentally there’s an expectation to see something next, having that next be on another line is jarring.

Blue shirt with LA and the quasar in yellow and white shirt with LA and quasar in blue. They’re competently executed.

The grey one with a stretched Galaxy and Los Angeles placed across the 'alaxy' is poorly kerned and aligned. There’s nothing successful about it and it stands out against the rest of the options as by far the weakest. It should not have been included in the collection.

The windbreaker with Los Angeles Galaxy in Old English Script is interesting. The use of Old English script with Los Angeles based sports teams goes back decades. I don't recall seeing it before on Galaxy gear. This along with the decision to use the full Los Angeles rather than LA seems to be a reaction to LAFC. Sort of ironic since LAFC’s trademark is Los Angeles Football Club and we are the LA Galaxy yet calling the former anything other than LA is seemingly rare while referring to the Galaxy as The Los Angeles Galaxy is pretty common, but I digress. The Old English Script is also commonly used on high school letterman jacket which is also true of the years on the left breast of the jacket. Aside from being busy it also calls attention to the fact we haven’t won a championship for going on 6 years. Taken as a whole it comes across as little "Glory Days".

Kind of ending on a downer, but overall I think this is a decent collection; some really interesting pieces, some competently executed if somewhat uninspired and really only one that was outright didn’t work conceptually or in execution.

Geneva, shelbo, mbar and 5 others repped this.
  17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of that stuff seems (let’s be generous and say ) inspired by a lot of recent fan merch.

At least they recognize the need for A bit more creativity.

As an aside, I think the FO has largely done a very good job going on 2 seasons now. I think the events they put on, the professionalism and the communications to the fans have been real good. Feels more like a club to me.

The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  18. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing what a little bit of competition for fan attention will do.

shelbo, TrickHog and mbar repped this.
  19. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herbalife Nutrition and LA Galaxy Unveil First-Ever Major League Soccer Augmented Reality Fan Experience

Anyone try this out?

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  20. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ShortyMac and TrickHog repped this.
  21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brendan Hannan steps down.

22. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The full retro kit. Looks nice!

Berks, shelbo, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta say, the campaign they've done around the kits is very cool.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  24. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After seeing all the other kits, I am confident in saying this is the best looking kit in MLS for 2021....

shelbo and hav77 repped this.
  25. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Somehow the socks are my favorite part.

I really don't want to equate these beauties with being beat down on the field. Sign some god damn players!

Berks, LEM-LAG, cleschke and 6 others repped this.