Dan Gargan and a Box of Crayons: The Marketing and PR Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by barroldinho, Aug 1, 2014.

1. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just continue to fail to understand how anybody can find this acceptable. Whether it be Chris Klein, DTK or whomever is in charge of this portion of operations.

It boggles my mind.

barroldinho and ProudNatRN repped this.
  2. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Klein did search high and low for Pete and Curt.

3. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don’t think Klein would recognize incompetence if he saw it, in the mirror.

barroldinho and napper repped this.
  4. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the teal green color being splashed all over the Galaxy website a sign that it may appear on a Galaxy jersey in the near future? I wouldn't necessarily be opposed. It's a pretty good look.

hav77 repped this.
  5. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually haven't seen it "live" yet; that's the part I'm most curious about.

shelbo repped this.
  6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be a throwback to the "green-gold" days. Would love to see a throwback 2nd jersey with those colors.

GalaxyOne and hav77 repped this.
  7. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had that same thought It's a nice color (better then the teal we used to wear) and I was hoping it was a hint for the new 2nd jersey but unfortunately it was not.

GalaxyOne and hav77 repped this.
  8. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then it will just have to be for the upcoming 3rd jersey! Not that I've heard anything about that, but I think we are due for a new 3rd jersey soon, no?

9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I think 3rd kits were retired a season or two ago.

GalaxyOne and napper repped this.
  10. Skincoug

Skincoug Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Mods - Although I check in daily, I don't post enough to know what the heck to do when I have a subject of my own I'd love to hear some additional thoughts on. This forever and a day marketing thread seemed closest to the subject on my mind. Here it goes.

I love LA Galaxy. I'm a 13 year season seat holder (we all know who happened that year and yes, I believe his lasting effect on this league is profound). I, like many of you I'm sure, tune into every game no matter the medium - that's probably 400 separate times I have devoted 2-6 hours to this club. BUT, I don't love MLS, no matter how hard I've tried. I'm at the point where I've realized I'm either on an island or part of some contingent that somehow can't connect. I love the NFL and depending on periods of my life have been really into the NBA, NHL and MLB. I have no problem getting into the storylines of teams that I don't have a rooting interest in. MLS just hasn't grabbed me in the same way.

After investing some time to the first few weeks of this season, I think I have a theory and am really curious if anyone is on the same page. I don't connect with seeing hundreds or thousands of strangers in supporters sections holding up scarves, singing and celebrating. They are all the same, just wearing different colors and generally singing different tunes. How is this never-ending motif of "the same" the unending focus of MLS marketing powers that be? It couldn't be less compelling.

Where are the athletes? The coaches? The city skylines? The incredible state of the art stadiums? Seriously. I'm not exaggerating. Focus on this for a game and you'll see the only thing vying for your emotion is the crowd. Someone will score the most mind-melting goal you've ever seen in your life and they just cut to people jumping up and down. I can't tell you the number of times they'd need to show a replay of Robbie Keane rolling and "six-shooting" because they didn't catch his celebration live. And this will happen all game. Every game. Crowd 1st. Any and everything else last. Their camera angles to capture the crowd are far and away superior to the angles actually used to capture the action on the pitch. Some games you literally can't watch on television without it looking like AYSO swarm ball.

Being in Los Angeles, take yourself through some cut scenes of a Lakers television experience as a juxtaposition. Scenes of the beach, downtown, the Hollywood sign. Scenes of championship teams gone by. Scenes of Staples from the sky. Magic, Kobe, Shaq and on and on and on making plays and then actually seeing their emotion in the moment. All of this comes before showing the guy in Section 10, Row 5, Seat 2 looking really happy.

I get the angle. They want everyone to know that people actually care. I can flip it on and say, "look, it's really cool, people care". But, I think they are completely missing the boat when it comes to the fans they already have.

Maybe I'm alone in this, totally fair. If so, let me know and I'll find a way to get past it and admit I'm out of touch. Or maybe I'm just bored because I'm watching Cincy FC rather than LA Galaxy.

barroldinho, MPNumber9 and TrickHog repped this.
  11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think Garber has done a great job handling the business side of MLS but has done little to improve the league’s PR/marketing side. Unimaginative TV production is one of the symptoms of this neglect. I’m not as bothered as you about the crowd shots but I am bothered by the poor announcing, the limited TV angles, games beginning with a blurry smoke-filled screen, lack of promotional ideas (like say a farewell tour for Donovan), lack of human interest video pieces to connect the audience to the players, the lack of sophisticated development of fantasy league stats to engage fans, the lack of interesting content creators on mlssoccer.com, and so on. I mean how expensive could Rachel Bonetta have been? Not saying everyone liked her but at least she was producing original video content for the site.

Look at how the NBA went from a struggling league playing in mostly empty stadiums to landing $20 billion+ TV contracts almost entirely due to Stern coming in a completely revamping the way they marketed their teams and the league. MLS is pre-Stern. No reason our TV ratings have to be comparable to bowling shows. MLS needs to realize this and bring in people who can similarly pivot our marketing and grow our TV audience way beyond us diehards.

12. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The fireworks smoke was less this game - they seemed to have less fireworks and they were less smokey.

ProudNatRN, The Cadaver and skydog repped this.
  13. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the NYCFC game. I was actively rooting against the goats. NYCFC’s new guy, The Romanian Giovinco, has blinders on.

I also watched the Cincy vs Portland game. I was rooting against our Western Conference rivals. I thought it was interesting to see Adi against his old club. I think MLS Expansion is cool.

I don’t really care or concern myself with people in the stands. I watch the game. But, to each, their own.

I do agree that the league needs to do much more and try a lot harder at attracting and keeping fans.

ProudNatRN repped this.
  14. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially if he saw it in a mirror.....

Dawdler and skydog repped this.
  15. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm not sure the best course of action either way but, those other leagues are the best in the world in those respective sports. I don't know what factors the powers that be take into account when they make those decisions you point out but, maybe that has something to do with it... ?

TrickHog repped this.
  16. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a sort of chicken and egg issue. Are they the best in the world (in part) because of the way they are marketed, or are they marketed well because they are the best in the world to start with

17. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While LAG probably has minimal direct control on how the league markets itself, it can control how this team markets itself. The fact that the marketing dept has produced sloppy copy too often is an indication of how the team prioritizes that end of the business. Apparently this stuff bothers us a lot more than it bothers management.

Dr.Phil, hav77 and skydog repped this.
  18. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    “We’ll sell more tickets than LAFC this season” in response to a query about LAFC’s massive season ticket base shows their exact mentality. There’s no desire for the Galaxy to be the best or the gold standard anymore. Beating your cross town rival on a metric they’re physically incapable of competing on is good enough for them, it’s like Fulham bragging about Arsenal the day they’re relegated.

Reminds me of this scene from Mad Men

hav77 and skydog repped this.
  19. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't say much about this, except I've passively observed that crowds and supporters culture are a big, big deal to league marketing. Clubs like Seattle, Portland and ATL have done well on the field, but are league darlings because of their supporters culture. There are two pieces up on MLS about Cincy's supporter culture; it's easier to find that than the results of their game over the weekend. The Galaxy have also asked LARS and ACB to sit together on the North end, which I imagine has to be for TV optics.

It's been a big selling point for league's gameday experience. Now maybe focus should pivot to the actual TV viewing experience. It'd be nice to have a real pregame most times. Do I literally have to sit through the final minute of the South East Regional Hot Dog Eating Semifinals right up until kickoff?

hav77, skydog, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Again a chicken-egg problem. Good pregame show would help our ratings but until our ratings are up networks will stick with the hot dog eating semis.

barroldinho, MPNumber9 and mbar repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agree. The organization being ok with sloppy typos is more than irritating - it both reflects and projects a Galaxy culture of low expectations.

hav77 repped this.
  22. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Speaking of needing more creative MLS marketing, I came across this article. Finally doing what I mentioned above - further developing and using analytics as a marketing tool, like every other sport. Finally a step in the right direction. Well not saying sports gambling is the right direction, but increasing MLS visibility and broadening the reach of our product is:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...-gaming-partnership-mgm-resorts-international

MPNumber9 and TrickHog repped this.
  23. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Just to dredge this up again. Spurs opened their new £1 billion stadium for a test event this weekend. There’s a sign with prices posted for one of the food vendors.

Beer is £4-5.50 or $5.25 - $7.25 for an English pint
    Water was £2 or $2.65
    Soda was £2.50 or $3.30
    Pie was £3.50 or $4.60

Maybe those prices were just for the test event, and to be fair the cheapest season tickets are £800 or $1025, but half price for concessions in one of the most expensive cities in the world and one of the most expensive stadiums ever built.

So the Galaxy concessions are more expensive than Disneyland and more expensive than a state of the are EPL stadium.

The Cadaver, Beirut and TrickHog repped this.
  24. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This all rings very true and I did a piece on this two years ago. It also features the frightening image of me dressed up as "a scouser".

I know Harry Enfield isn't a thing here (probably isn't in England anymore) but trust me, I was being hilarious.

Basically, I questioned why FC Dallas were being given vitually zero attention, despite chasing a treble with the youngest and cheapest roster (and significantly homegrown) in the league.

In fact, when Beckham was here and I was knew to MLS, I was frequently baffled that rather than using Beckham to draw attention to the league, they simply focused on the league being the place to see Beckham.

https://wp.me/p5ioea-1Do

25. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this summer's ICC schedule, we ARE in LA: