News: Dan Flynn steps down.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tbonepat11, Oct 22, 2018.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #26 TimB4Last, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Two things I noted when rereading the Goff article:

"Flynn could end up retaining ties in an advisory role, one person added."

and

"The Chicago-based federation was in financial dire straits when Flynn accepted the job in June 2000. The USSF now sits on a $150 million reserve."

The first is something to keep an eye on - Flynn's continuing connection, if any.

The second is really what bothers me, although it would take more time than I have to fully spell out why.

Suffice it to say, I have no objection to financial success, though I would certainly appreciate more transparency. My main objection is that much of that money should have been passed through, rather than accumulated. Yes, you need a rainy day fund, yes, you need a reserve to properly host the 2026 World Cup, etc.

But I feel the federation's mandate is to grow, develop and support the game of soccer - boys and girls, men and women - at all levels, not just at the top. Club soccer is expensive, a barrier to entry for some, but the money that does flow hasn't seemed to address that fact.

I/we tend to focus on the national teams and our elite players, but while the federation should (for example) have a comfortable, cooperative relationship with MLS, that relationship should not be a too-cozy one, with MLS dictating terms.

Gulati's reign - and I wonder about his current connections, to his successor, etc - with his conflicts of interest, the primacy of SUM's influence, etc - left a bad taste in my mouth. I had hoped for more substantial changes, at least a breath of fresh air, but that's not what we got.

Very frustrating ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...e-dan-flynn-step-down/?utm_term=.1395f0f2a414

Namdynamo, neems and chad repped this.
  2. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks for highlighting this. I didn't realize the pot was that big now. Plenty of funds to hire a top US manager.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I agree with that sentiment. Don't waste that money, but spend it effectively.

Winoman repped this.
  4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a chance for a new direction.

But seeing how the USSF election (and FIFA) turned out, some sort of deputy dog will replace him and nothing much will change.

5. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as what you typed makes sense to you!

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps I'll use crayons next time to make it easier to understand.

chad repped this.
  7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi folks,
    I've just removed some references to conspiracy theories because they were starting to derail the discussion.

Pegasus repped this.
  8. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coincidence? You be the judge! :)

9. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USSF's board.

10. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A part of what makes this story a big deal is that this changeover happens so rarely. Flynn is only the ninth person in the 105-year history of the USSF to hold this position. In contrast, there have been 30 presidents of the USSF in that same time period.

11. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Tin hats" The "tin hats" don't do enough to stop the delta brainwave.

TOAzer repped this.
  12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCLA law professor Steve Bank on US Soccer and the Berhalters 1/2:

Namdynamo, TOAzer, skim172 and 1 other person repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCLA law professor Steve Bank on US Soccer and the Berhalters 2/2:

skim172 and Winoman repped this.
  14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter and Berhalter just feels dirty. Say it ain't so, Jay!

15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley and Bradley, Berhalter and Berhalter, ...hmmm no wonder these boards are all about B's.

16. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jay would have to recuse himself from decisions regarding Greg, clearly, and the broader structure in place would have to protect Earnie from reprisals. There could also be contact provisions stipulating specific circumstances where Greg can be fired. It’s tricky but under the previous structure, as far as I can tell there would have been no protection.

That said, I actually think both would be good at the jobs. But what do I know? I just want to be done with waiting...

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank God that Klinsmann wasn't given that money to spend. Now it will be Earnie's job to transform youth development in this country.

I'm not sure you can say SUM has harmed the USSF. It's done a much better job of selling TV rights than IMG ever did. Surely that's part of the reason for the surplus.

And whatever you think of MLS and SUM, whether they have had a good or bad influence on the USMNT, soccer in this country is pretty healthy at the moment, especially at youth level.

Earnie and co. have to work out the best way to exploit the USA's potential and $150 million sitting around in loose change won't do any harm.