Dan Borislow - magicJackass

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by REVS FAN 1, May 1, 2011.

1. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad.

2. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, we do it all the time to Bob Kraft in the Revolution forums.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone heard what Borislow did to get banned for the rest of the season?

4. WiminzSoccerRocks

Jun 15, 2009
    MA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's some MagicJack roster data from the Equalizer blog- http://www.equalizersoccer.com/

• Speaking of magicJack, I’m told Ella Masar is on the roster for Wednesday’s big clash between magicJack and the Flash. Masar had reportedly briefly left the team, but has returned. Exactly what happened there remains unclear.
    • Shannon Myers and Amanda DaCosta are no longer a part of magicJack.
    • Hope Solo and Christie Rampone have been left off magicJack’s roster for Wednesday’s match.

5. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's just Dan being Dan....

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No question :D

I just wondered what particular part of his charm campaign caused the current extension of the suspension. I'm waiting for him to take a swing at someone...

7. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Please let it be me!

8. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    "I will now handle PR better and instead of writing off criticism from the media (and let it get under my skin), I will understand their point of view and rationally explain mine to them."
    Dan Borislow, September 2005

"Currently researching whether dressing as the team mascot counts as a "technical role.""
    NotDanBorislow, July 2011

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have this image of him trying to get into DiCicco's face and trying to do the chest bump thing in front of the 4th official. And then losing his cool and trying to swing when DiCicco (a guy w/ his own sizable ego) basically laughs at him.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go read Beau Dure's new espnW piece on mJ. You won't be sorry.

eta: srsly, Borislow used the term "hater" There's high comedy there if the state of the league weren't so precarious.

11. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likely continuing to coach from the sideline when he was banned from doing so by the league.

Or, perhaps the league didn't like Dan calling someone on his phone, seconds later Rampone answering her phone on the bench, and then a sub being made while he was suspended.

Jeff Kassouf and I both saw that happen during the first magicJack @ WNY match as the press box was right next to the owner's suite that Dan watched the match from.

12. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He made Abby the new player coach today

13. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    The players' grievance against him led to the ban.

14. seCrawler

seCrawler New Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santa Fe Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming he can't interfere with practice either. Basically, he's an absentee owner now. Good for the ladies.

15. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    A series of Twitter posts from NotDanBorislow, 1, 2, 3:

16. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Borislow recently posted a comment addressing the author of an article about him and his team. (In his comment quoted below, I edited out a swear word.) For comparison and contrast, I've also reposted an earlier Borislow quote:

Dan Borislow, September 2005:
    Dan Borislow, August 2011:
    Way to be an ambassador for WPS, Dan!

17. stannenb

stannenb New Member

Aug 14, 2011
    NPR's Only A Game covered the Magic Jack story this weekend.

There were the bizarre mundane details, like the fact that the Miami Dolphins, wanting to honor Magic Jack's World Cup players at a Dolphin's game, couldn't get in touch with the team and had to call sports writers to find out how to reach them. Or how one Magic Jack player described leaving the team for another as "leaving North Korea".

But then there was the jaw dropper. The team doesn't employ a trainer. When Magic Jack played Boston, Magic Jack players had to ask Boston staff if they'd do things like tape their ankles. Boston staff agreed, but when they got to the clubhouse, realized they needed to have brought their own tape because, well, Magic Jack didn't have any.

It's one thing to turn the game into a circus, which is bad enough. But not taking care of the health of your players? Wow.

18. WookieMonster

WookieMonster New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    They ran out of money for tape in the budget after having to pay for Rapinoe's penthouse apartment. (which I'm not saying she doesn't deserve btw...) But that's really unforgiveable. Pretty sure the league mandates team's have trainers...Guess that's just another thing they'll have to add to the running list of things DB doesn't do for his team...

19. WookieMonster

WookieMonster New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Also, have any of checked out DB's history on DISQUS:
    http://disqus.com/guest/9324f20df0d45e00b96261fcb90f3dcf/

The only thing worse than his grammar (and his lack of spaces after periods--that really kills me), is his complete lack of temperment. Not surprising, but it's kind of disturbing that he takes the same attitude to his company which he does with his team.

Also, should this thread be in mJ?

20. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had Dan on Saturday's edition of Flash Through the WPS.

He sounded a lot more reasonable than what I gathered reading that comment...

21. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i dont know if it is long term but i think two things hit home with him, his players, including the NTers, filing a grievance, and the league taking it to the point he could lose his team. personally, i don't think he thought it would go that far.

22. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    From what he said on the Flash Through the WPS show, it didn't sound as if Dan acknowledged any responsibility for the situation. Instead, he made it seem as though it was the league that made a mistake. If I heard it properly, he said,
    Also, did he refer to other teams as "supposed competitors" or am I mistaken? At around 36:35, I thought I heard,

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff @ the WAPO got some of the emails from the WPS Player Union complaint.

Article here

Of special interest to the Boston folks:

24. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the "you've lost your Twitter privilages" bit....:rolleyes:

Like he's talking to his children...what a condescending p***k! If it were one of my nieces he was talking to we'd be having much more than words!

What an embarrassment...WPS needs to find a way to get rid of him...

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, does he just treat his soccer employees like this or is this his general motivational techniques for all employees?