Damn it! I want that projector!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by HiJazzey, Oct 21, 2004.

1. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    [​IMG]
    InFocus Screenplay 777

A 3 chip DLP projector :eek:
    No stupid color wheel
    Stunning looks
    The finest projector you can get
    Costs 30 grand :(

I want one! I can imagine it gracing my living room. Anyone know a good bank to rob?​

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I really want to buy a projector - but is that 30,000 US? Seems difficult to believe. I'm looking for the under 1000 kind.

3. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, but those others don't look like the ship in Flight Of The Navigator!

4. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    what are you guys going to do with a projector?

5. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    It's list price is US$29,999, although you can get it for the "bargain" price of $23,000 . Eye watering numbers, huh?

It's not a typical projector though. As well as the looks, it has 3 DMDs (a chip with mirrors that reflects the light, froming the picture): 1 for each primary colour. Which gives superb colour tones (good enough for cinema). A regular DLP projector has a single DMD, and a spinning colour wheel in front of it, to give you the illusion of colour.

If you want a projector on the cheap, for home cinema, my tip is to look at reconditioned CRT projectors. They're very good for movies, and are dirt cheap (you can easily easily get one for under a grand), but they are MASSIVE. I bought a reconditioned Barco, and it's a meter long! You need a big room. Also, they're not that suitable for computer usage, unless you find one of the more expensive models, because they don't have that high a resolution.

6. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Home cinema!

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steal one from a movie theater. The jail time and fines will cost less than that spaceship pictured. ;)

8. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Amazing picture quality projected on a wall. It's portable and often cheaper than flat screen tvs, although bulb prices are high. People use them for DVDs, sports (although if you use it too often you'll burn out the bulbs quicker and they're expensive), and I've heard some people use it for Playstation-type games.

Thread with some details about the movie experience:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89475&highlight=dark+knight