Damarcus Beasley: from Rangers to... (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Beazley17, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read one article that claimed Blackpool were the frontrunners, but I don't particularly trust it.

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  3. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. It was one of the lower end British gossip rags. Title was something along the lines of "Blackpool leads race to sign American ace". Can't seem to find it now, but I wouldn't put any stock in the accuracy of the report anyway.

4. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Damarcus Beasley at Rangers(R)

yeah....and we saw how big of a failure scotland was didnt we? The Bundesliga is alot more brutal than the EPL, he would have to learn german, he wouldnt be settled going to a completely new place when he will be 29 soon. Just look at Landon Donovan, Germany was a failure time after time because of how physical and slow the approach play is. The EPL is much more direct in its attacking with quicker play. The Beasley and Donovan type players thrive in leagues like the Eridivisie and the EPL. I was speaking tactically and you have no idea what im talking about, im not talking about "big scary guys", im talking about a physical style of some leagues. The SPL and the Bundesliga are perhaps the most physical leagues in the world.

5. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ligue 1 and the Eridivisie would absolutely be the best places for him technically, but I dont think a move to France is on the cards.

6. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bundesliga is physical but it's not "slow" by any stretch of the imagination. The national team this year is modeled on a new style of play put forth by Klinsmann a few years ago which was focused on getting the ball from the back to the front as quickly as possible while still maintaining possession. Many of the clubs have adopted this style because the DFB wanted the transition from club to national team to be easier on the players.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    with all the new found soccer statmen out there, there must be an "injury per minute" rating for all the big leagues. Let's find out who is the most "physical.'

8. dehrbinsk

dehrbinsk New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Lafayette Hill, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    ya, but Arjen Robben and Jonathan Woodgate skew the averages.

10. cparistat

cparistat Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Decided to check his Twitter:

A move to the Premier League?

11. ussoccer0829

ussoccer0829 Red Card

Jun 28, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Blackpool?

12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I think Blackpool is a sinking ship, but this would be a good move for Beasley to grab a nice payday, and is probably a higher playing level than most thought he'd end up playing at as of about 6 months ago.

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's Blackpool. I have a sneaky feeling it's either Nottingham Forest or West Brom, both of which are stable situations. Forest will be competing for promotion to the BPL while West Brom, in all likelihood, will be secure.

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Beasley is perfect for a west ham or bolton or even a stoke team trying to find speed at the end of a match and maybe steal 5 or 7 points a season.

He is worth 4 or 5 goals per season, he can change a game with his speed and is not bad at drawing a foul in a dangerous place. Also, I dont know if anyone has seen him, but his corners and free kicks can be very good.

15. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008
    The foil for Lee Chung-Yong? I could see that.

16. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "We have possible deals," Beasley's rep, Lyle Yorks, told MLSsoccer.com. "We're in discussions that are fairly far along in France and Spain at the moment. There is still interest in the Netherlands, but it hasn't progressed. There's also definite serious interest in Turkey, but the discussions that are furthest along are with one Spanish club and one French club."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/beasley-drawing-interest-clubs-france-spain

17. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, real, actual news about the YA silly season.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, between Spain and France, I prefer Spain if it's La Liga.

And I base that solely on the fact that GolTV and ESPN2 show La Liga games, but nobody shows Ligue 1. :D

19. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't even watch Ligue 1 matches on tv, and I live in France.

Didn't Setanta have rights to Ligue 1 matches in the US? I can't recall.

20. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF is that all about? Is that to try to get people to actually turn out for the games?

English fans often repeat the notion that Sky ruined football -- cause loads now just prefer to stay at home and watch on TV.

21. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same in Spain. It's on pay cable (Canal+). So you either have to subscribe or go to a bar.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. I only had it for a few days on a free trial but took full advantage and caught a few.

I can understand why Ligue 1 is not an attractive league for markets outside of France because it's so low scoring, but not receiving it domestically is odd unless you're not investing in a decent TV service.

23. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just all on pay-per-view and premium cable channels now. And it's not just soccer, either. The problem is that there's still not really a tradition of actually paying for channels here in France, so people don't think to do it. I have "digital cable" in my apartment, and I still have to pay extra if I want to watch any sports.

Aside from the World Cup, the only sports that are on the national channels here are French national team matches, some national team rugby matches, Roland Garros tennis, a few select Champions League matches, and the Tour de France.

24. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember being there one July, and finding nothing on TV but the Tour. And The Simpsons and Baywatch dubbed into French.

25. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha.

Setanta is Fox Soccer Plus now I believe.