Damarcus Beasley: from Rangers to... (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Beazley17, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen the thread in a while, and couldnt find it a few pages back. So I made a thread where we can discuss anything about him, news, playing time, rumors, etc.

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Damarcus Beasley at Rangers(R)

There's not much to discuss, sadly.

3. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know. I hope that he can earn a starting spot back at Rangers, but he really hasent been given much of a chance. Your statement is correct, and that is why I made the thread, maybe we can get some discussion on him.

4. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My apologies for being completely ignorant but what seems to be the problem with him getting some burn at Rangers? I seem to recall he was playing quite well for them at the beginning of last season but then picked up a pretty significant injury that took him out for virtually the rest of the season. Haven't really heard anything about him this season . . . anyone with the scoop?

5. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I mean, he picked up a little injury, which was a minor set back, but he really hasent been given that many chances. Maybe he hasent been doing well in training, but thats the question many people are asking. Anyways, the transfer window is almost over now, hopefully Walter will give him a couple chances, because as Beasley said in an interview a few weeks ago, he wants to be a part of qualifying, as well as the confed cup, and he needs to be playing and staying sharp.

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have absolutely no idea why he isn't even making the bench. I kno Walter Smith has a rotation policy, but he isn't even being rotated.

There were some transfer rumblings (MLS, Espanyol), but I think he decided to stick it out. And I don't know if he'll play this season.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Bease does currently have a small knock, can't recall where at this moment.

8. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I would not be surprised to see Beasley leave. Unfortunately I just don’t think he’s good enough for Rangers. I’d love to see him prove me wrong!

Edu on the other hand has been, by all accounts, outstanding in the reserves for us. The fans are desperate to see him play!

9. Seanin

Seanin Member

Feb 14, 2003

Fans of the big two in Scotland hilariously overestimate just how good their teams are. This is the same Rangers team which lost to Heart of Midlothian and St Mirren this year, has drawn against Aberdeen, Dundee Utd (twice!) and Motherwell, and couldn't overcome the mighty FBK Kaunas in the Champions League. Yeah, a guy who has scored six goals the Champions League - including four with a team that made the semis - definitely can't hack it in a two-club league on the fringes of Europe.

10. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I’m not overestimating how good Rangers are at the moment. This is one of the worst Rangers teams I’ve witnessed in my life. To make it worse I think it’s a poor Celtic team as well. My only hope is the English transfer market implodes and we can get back to more of a level playing field.

This does not change the fact that if you speak to most Rangers fans the verdict of Beasley would be he has a amazing pace, but a poor football brain and is far too lightweight. The exact opposite from the other option that’s been played on the left. Charlie Adam. No pace, not fit enough but decent technique and a good football brain! If you could combine the two you would have one hell of a footballer. I think time might be up for both of them though as John Fleck has broken in the team and he looks like a really good prospect!

11. taiko67

taiko67 New Member

May 14, 2007
    Gaithersburg, MD

"Not good enough for Rangers";"no football brain". I don't know if you said that to be funny, but I'm LMAO. I don't know how you can judge someone who has not had a decent run in the team. In addition, That fat tub-a-goo Charlie Adam is not even in the same league even though he's been given a zillion chances to break in. I'm afraid this is more a case of "if it's not Scottish, it's crap!"

Rangers are second in the SPL. The SPL! They are a selling club and Fleck will be gone before next year as do all of their decent players (Hutton, Cousin) who refuse to play Walter Smith's anti-football. I can't wait til he leaves that chicken s*** outfit.

12. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000

I think Pedro is right to some degree- Beasley is far too lightweight for the SPL, probably even the EPL. All those hard fouls are starting to catch up with him.
    It's never pretty watching Beasley play- but he certainly gets the job done when given the opportunity. It's very easy to criticize him just by watching his touch and inconsistent crossing- but if you stick with him you'll realize how often he beats defenders and just causes havoc.

He should go to Spain or back to Holland.

13. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beasley was clearly one of the better players on your term in the fall of 2007, before his injury troubles. If/when he can get back to form, he's proven to be good enough for Rangers.

14. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004

exactly

15. st mirren till i die

Jul 14, 2007
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Saint Mirren FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

From what I've seen of Beasley is that he's frighteningly emaciated, doesn't like being tackled and seems to have no idea what to do with the ball when he's in possession of it.

16. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA

You mean other than the 50 or so times he's put it in the back of the net?

17. Fusion Logix

Fusion Logix New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Miami,Fl

you got to admit, he sometimes seems stuck on how to move with the ball. and has a heavy first touch.

i feel he did good when he was in form with rangers, kinda weird he's been left off the map as of late(injury problems and all)

18. proxyone

proxyone New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Los Angeles

From what I remember, he was seeing significant minutes in league as well as CL play, and scoring goals for Rangers until he went out with injury.

It's unfortunate that he hasn't made his way back in, but it definitely can't be because of his pre-injury form.

19. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA

I've read in an article about Mo Edu's injury problems that both he and Damarcus are working hard in training to try to earn their places on the squad instead of sulking. I can't remember if it was the Rangers website or the Daily Record so I can't post the link.

One thing working against him though is the emergence of John Fleck. I think he plays on the left side and both Walter Smith and Ally McCoist are quite effusive in their praise for him. He earned Man of the Match in his first start for crying out loud.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

Of course, you've only seen him playing pickup hoops at a park court in Paisley. And you were drunk. And so was he.

Bease is not a worldbeater, but has contributed well at PSV, City and Gers when healthy. He is slight, but has a good work rate and tackles fairly hard for a speedy, smaller wing.

He got injured and lost his spot in a bloated squad. Whether he can regain or not only time will tell. The thing Bease lacks, clearly, is the ability to make himself indispensable. But he's not the only player with that knock.

21. Artesian

Artesian New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    The Evergreen State
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Damn you and your reasoned post! Damn you to hell! This *is* bigoverreacttoanysituation.com after all. Beasley is a whispy, brittle, touchless, abhoration to an actual footballer, and hell he's a Yank, so you know he has no real footballing brain! Any amateur Scottish rec-league player has more moxie.

22. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It seems like I hear this every year. I agree he's a good player when he's healthy, but like JOB before him, it's starting to look like that just isn't often enough for a good team to want him.

23. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva

it wasn't a little injury, it was a knee injury and two surgeries, for a player whose best quality is super quickness that could be very bad news. his history has shown that he can be good enough for rangers, when was the last time they were in the champions league semis? right.

if you don't want him send him back over, we'd love to have him.

24. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Look, I am all for replacing Beasley on the USMNT when we find someone better. The reality is, we haven't. We thought Convey might be that guy and even when healthy and in good form, I don't believe he was ever as good as Beasley. Rogers seems to have potential, but has yet to deliver on it. He hasn't even had an MLS season as good as DMB had for the fire. Beasley is fast, quick and has a great work rate. He is positionally sound and a very good defender. He also is capable of putting the ball in the net and even serving a decent ball on set pieces and from corner kicks once in a while. People suggesting he has no idea where to be on the field or that he gets lost--as if he's somehow no different than EJ, well, I wonder whether they have seen him play. Yes he is far from perfect but to me he ranges from solid to occasionally good and dangerous for the USMNT. And I haven't watched his entire body of work at Rangers, but I do recall him being a standout player in the Rangers home draw against Barcelona last year. One of the few Rangers players who did not seem overwhelmed and able, athletically, to take the ball at the Barca players. I even recall him getting under Henry's skin and drawing a particularly nasty foul. [Which is another part of his game, drawing fouls in dangerous spots].

25. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He also played very well in the Champions Leauge vs Lyon, where he played outstanding, and was able to score a goal as well. And getting back to the Barca game, I remember that as well, his defense was outstanding, and he was able to take on and beat a few players one v one as well.