Damani Ralph in Russia?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by wonko389, Jul 16, 2005.

1. wonko389

wonko389 New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    jax, fl
    Does anyone know how Damani Ralph did this year in Russia? I would like to see him and other MLS exports do well, plus I have a soft spot in my heart for Jamaicans; what a fun country with great people. I have absolutely no clue about anything Russian other than Lokomotiv Moscow is supposed to be good.

2. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    I think if a russian club would want me to play..
    i would just keep my job.

worst career move other than the money.. totally out of sight out of mind.

3. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. EuroChamp05

EuroChamp05 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Chicago
    He's so great in FIFA '05 on Xbox though.

5. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
  6. wonko389

wonko389 New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    jax, fl
    I think whoever thought it was a good idea to bring a Jamaican to Russia has seen Cool Runnings one too many times. I cant believe he says Russia is a tougher league, that just doesnt seem likely to me.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was with the Fire for a couple of years. Very good striker. Plays for Jamaica also.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No MLS team could win the UEFA Cup. Plus, Bobby McMahon is always going on and on about how this is one of the world's up-and-coming leagues. Alot of "new" money coming into it.

9. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Well he has played in the league and probably has seen many more russian league games then you, so right now I'd have to take his opinion over your beliefs.

10. VON9905

VON9905 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Re:D. Ralph in Russia? Wish he was still with the Fire

I also read an article about a month ago, I think, about how there is a lot of money being put into the league by millionares or a lot of companies. I am not up much on politics and history of Russia, but I believe it is because they are a way more free country now - more capitalistic. I think it is great because it will create some more superclubs to take on the ones from Europe and create even more competition in the Champions League.

-Von

11. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On one hand, Damani should have read How Soccer Explains the World on the treatment of black players in the former Soviet Union.

On the other, Damani was not nearly that effective in MLS after July of his rookie year.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: D. Ralph in Russia? Wish he was still with the Fire

Um, actually, it's gangsters finding an outlet for their money. Think Colombia in the 80's.

13. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

May 30, 2005
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he starting for his team? I heard the team was doing pretty well, like 3rd in the league, so they have a shot at Europe. Its in MLS best interests to see Damani do well in Russia and especially in any European tournaments aka Beasley in PSV. It only increases the value and validity of our league.

14. Screech Powers

Screech Powers New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Highlands Ranch, CO.

Yeah, free society in the fact that the government is no longer the corrupt organization controlling all of the economics of the country. Now it is the organized crime bosses, and billionaires controlling the corrupt government and economics of the country.

15. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    In the article it says he was the lone forward in a 4-5-1 formation, but he only played 12 games (scoring 1 goal), so I don't know if he starts.

16. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    Yeah, Ralph's performance has been mediocre at best. But he has been seeing a fair amount of playing time. The season is about halfway done as it goes spring-fall (just like MLS).

Regarding the quality of the league - it's pretty darn good. You have CSKA, who are current UEFA Cup champs, Loko who've done quite well in CL recently, Spartak is coming back up, Rubin's got new $ (that's where Damani is), and Zenit has very strong home support...

Dynamo is the latest team w/ great inflow of money. They've bought up Maniche, Costinha and Derlei, amongst other Portuguese internationals. Brining in a new coach form Brazil.

Overall, the quality is higher than MLS, althoughas almost w/ any other league, MLS compares favorably in terms quality consistency of teams top-to-bottom. Cold is almost not a problem, as the league plays during the warmest months. Treatment of blacks is also generally not a big issue, although in Kazan' (where Ralph is), ignorance still exists. More metropolitan places like Moscow and St Petersburg are much better.

17. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    you have to be kidding me. I like MLS too, but it's good to know one's place in the world :)

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yep, Maniche & Costinha cost a combined $24m while Derlei's transfer was $9m.

19. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    Yeah, infrastructure is really lacking. So far, oinly Loko has what you would call a modern stadium. Luzhniki, unfortunately, turned out to be a big waste of dollars, as the massive roof has forced them to install AstroTurf. CSKA, Spartak, and Zenit are all looking for new stadiums, while Dynamo is considering upgrading theirs.

Lack of investment into stadiums provides an insight into the thought process. A lot of these owners are not confident of long-term prospects, which is what one needs to build a stdium. On the other hand, buying Maniche for €16 million provides a quick reward for the buck.

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Looks like I somehow edited out my second line in the previous post. What exactly is this rumor about Abramovich wanting to build a new national stadium for several of the Moscow clubs?

21. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    I think Russia IS probably tougher then MLS but you've got to consider the person saying so. He's coming from the FIRE where he had much success to Russia where he's really struggling. So even if there are more valid reasons why he's struggling other than the level of play, he's more likely to say what he said.

Now if he was doing relatively well in Russia and said the Russian league is tougher, than I'd put a LOT more weight on that.

22. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That seems a bit backwards to me.

23. Revolution96

Revolution96 New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Good point, sounds like sour grapes on his part. Except for russia probably being tougher, Am i the only one who watched ROCKY lV? :D

I watched the CSKA - Sporting Final and i would bet $$$$$ that MLS`s top teams could play with those teams, the only difference is the bench.

I look at it this way with the Russian and USA leagues being mostly made up of domestic players, then its USA versus Russia and i like our chances.

The Real Madrids, Arsenals and AC Milan`s of the world, are out of any MLS`s teams or most other teams class, maybe on a good day.

The rest can BRING IT ON, and i know that a long european season would be hard on our benches but thats not what i`m talking about, one or two game series, i believe "our" guys could play with them.

My MLS Brothers believe in the player not the money he makes. :p
    American and central american players have been over looked for many years.

Heres a good point (I think) If his team FC Rubin Kazan is in 3rd place, and he`s is getting alot of playing time. How good can they be? Damani was a good player in MLS but i would take some other players over him.

24. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago

I think there is some truth to this. Read Friedman's "Red Mafiya".
    There is a thread over on the Fire BB about this where you can find out some Tannu Tuva Travel Tips!

25. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    If he went to a better league continued to play well, it would say more than him going to a different league and just having a bad experience.