Dallas

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by StarCityFan, Jul 17, 2010.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    POSITIVE VIBES
    Marshall encouraged after meeting with WPS

After all the bad news this year, it's great to read something like this.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Dallas WPS finally coming to fruition? Finally, its been, what, three plus years? X-D

Seriously though, this is awesome news. I'm still wary about no 'final say' about a stadium, as that was the main problem I heard about previously. And that 85% isn't as high as I would like (though it's specific enough to make me think this guy knows exactly what he's doing, so that's really good). I'm personally still hoping for an eighth them by next season, but as long as the league is stable and FIFA-approved, I'm good. ^.^ If we have to wait for 2012, though, I kinda hope we'll have nine or ten.
    More west of the Mississippi! X-D

4. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Dallas finally get their stadium situation settled? It sounds like that might still not be 100% certain, although the article seems optimistic.

I would welcome a team in Dallas. Another team in the midwest, that after Saint Louis going under, has just Chicago. I could make the trip down to Dallas for a game or two a year I think, especially since I have relatives in the area. Hopefully, the fan base is there.

Edit: And the most important thing. Make sure that the owner is really committed to and cares about women's soccer and has the bucks to make it through at least 3 to 5 years of hard times...and won't dump the team on some fly-by-night foreign investors.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Who is Paul Marshall? What sort of business does he own/run and how deep are his pockets (and any investors he might bring along)?

From his bio on the Dallas Premier SC site, he seems to run a "computer service business." If my google-fu isn't completely shot, I think the business is Lavender Business Products which doesn't have an auspicious website.

I'm not trying to slag the guy. I just wonder how likely it is for the Dallas Premier SC team to morph into a WPS team. How long has this WPSL team been around?

6. KickinfortheKids

KickinfortheKids New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Motherwell FC
    Dallas would be a hit for WPS. Let's hope it happens!

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say more, please. Why do you think it would be a hit? Is there a stadium in a decent area? Is there an ownership group with deep enough pockets to sustain several years of significant monetary losses? Is there an ownership group with marketing savy that would be able to sell tickets and keep fans?

8. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The heat must have turned my brain to mush...

This news just registered in the grey matter between my ears.

*does a dorky white gurl dance*

There's a heartbeat to the WPS Dallas team once again!

9. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dallas Premier SC (the ownership group interested in the WPS team currently runs) plays at UTD.

[​IMG]

Field is gorgeous but I can't recall how many seats the spectator section (not shown in the pic above holds).

SMU also has a great soccer field that both the men's and women's teams there play on as well. Those are two of the best pitches in the area outside of PHP.

While I don't think either stadium has the seating available that the WPS requires, I think they're both more centrally located to Dallas proper and would draw more people in.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wondered when you'd pipe in on this thread :D Thought maybe you were on vacation. Do you know much about the ownership group of the Dallas Premier SC? Would they have the sort of cash on hand needed to make it in WPS?

SMU claims Westcott seats 5,000 but it seems to be bleacher only.

The UTD athletics site doesn't give a seating capacity for the soccer fields. The fact that they claim the MLS Dallas Burn use the fields makes me think they don't update the website much.

11. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The heat in Tejas partially melted my brain thus the delay in actually chiming in with the dorky dancing, etc.

Don't know much about the ownership group for them but they've been on my radar a bit as Dallas Premier SC was supposed to play a double header at PHP before an FCD game earlier season but the visiting team balked at it for some reason so it never happened. So they're looking to try to get more attention in the area and they've been around since 2009.

12. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seating can usually be expanded, as the Freedom did at the Soccerplex.

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those interested in Dallas expansion who are in the Dallas metro area see this thread by DeigoRedD and put up your $ to support the potential team.

14. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I posted this in another thread.
    I think the Texas team needs to be called "Texas".
    Everyone in Texas is all about "Texas".
    They love their Texas Rangers. They don't call them the Arlington Rangers. They're called the Texas Rangers.

People there are also called "Texans".

They love chili. They really do.
    They love Tabasco sauce.

So there you have it.

The team name should be called: "Texas Chili Bowl FC"
    Team colors: Tabasco sauce color, and chunky brown (chili) color

I think the players would look good in their Tabasco sauce uniform top and chunky brown color shorts. Tabasco could even be a sponsor.

Or they could just call them the "Dallas Tabasco", if you want to put them in Dallas and call them Dallas instead of Texas.

[​IMG]

15. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Har. Dee. Har. Har.

That being said, if FCD does put up the money to start a women's team, me thinks it will be called FC Dallas Ladies, or something similar.

They'd be adding another level of development to the youth system they've started for girls under the FC Dallas Youth umbrella.