Dallas Sidekicks folding?

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by the shelts, Sep 14, 2017.

1. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    A guy I know with the Allen Americans, who share an arena with the Sidekicks says they are done. Anyone hear anything?

dallasindoorsoccer repped this.
  2. dallasindoorsoccer

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes they are done sad to say !!!!! :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

Attached Files:

3. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    The writing was on the wall when their attendance plummeted and they were drawing less than some of the smaller markets in the league like Tacoma, CR, and Ontario. Sad day. I grew up watching the Sidekicks (particularly of the CISL) and Tatu.

SteveCo and Joey Tee repped this.
  4. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Bad news. This does not bode well for MASL at all. My friend was ticked off a little bit, I guess they waited until really late to tell the arena and the arena had dates booked for them. The arena and other tenant is none-to-happy as they had to move at least one conflict out of the way to accommodate the Sidekicks.

SteveCo and Joey Tee repped this.
  5. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My first doubt was when I sent the owner an email last week about a suite. No response...also, as was pointed out to me today, they had cheerleader tryouts, but no player tryouts or any indication of practice at all from former players. No bueno. My calendar has a couple free Saturday nights all the sudden. Was "funwhileitlasted"

SteveCo and the shelts repped this.
  6. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Really a shame when any team folds, its a bigger shame when that team had history attached to it. For the handful of fans that have been fans for a while it stings to see a storied team disappear.

Here's to hoping somehow, someway, the Dallas Sidekicks get brought back once again one day.

SteveCo, Kit, the shelts and 2 others repped this.
  7. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MASL has not made a statement about this yet . they should be doing it today I would assume Division placement needs to be changed around now.

8. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad news to see a once storied Dallas team fold (modern incarnation of a legacy team). I have legitimate concerns about the Chicago Mustangs coming back this season, has anyone heard updates about them recently? .

9. dallasindoorsoccer

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Having pool parties with Sidekicks dancers this just another lawsuit for this league waiting to happen !!!!

cardshopmd repped this.
  10. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor has it that they will be apart of the MASL2 & that sometime today the MASL will make an announcement about this.

SteveCo repped this.
  11. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well from the photos I seen those girls looked good .

12. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ya well, you just proved the point of why this might be a PR or legal issue

cardshopmd and SteveCo repped this.
  13. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would think the league had learned something from the Seattle Impact debacle. Such as doing proper vetting and background checks of potential owners (supposedly happening now) and the potential 'issues' around dance teams. In any case, hope the Sidekicks can return at some point. I hate to see any team fold. Definitely sad for long time fans, even though today's indoor soccer is not as great as the 80s or 90s.

cardshopmd repped this.
  14. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    How did we go from a snide quip on a fan forum to unvetted owners having issues with dance teams post-Seattle Impact? The Sidekicks have issues, but it's nothing to do with a dance team.

cardshopmd repped this.
  15. WPSL

WPSL Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read that Dallas Sidekicks are looking to return for the 2018-19 season. How likely is this?

SteveCo repped this.
  16. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been many teams take the one off to regroup, and never made it home again. I would say 25% chance yes

SteveCo and WPSL repped this.
  17. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    To my knowledge, the Houston Hotshots or Arizona Landsharks did it in the WISL and the Monterrey LaRaZa/Flash have done it.

After that it is like a death sentance

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandsharks, not Landsharks. CISL, not WISL. They took 1996 off and came back in 1997.

The Hotshots, yeah. Not only is LaRaZa not the same franchise as the Flash, the two iterations of LaRaZa were not the same franchise, either. And the Fury/Tigres were yet another.

The Pittsburgh Spirit took a year off in the original MISL and returned for a bit.

The second Steamers club was moribund for a year before Wally and Hetelson brought it back (leading to one of the worst reality shows ever).

SteveCo repped this.
  19. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    La Raza took a year off and came back in the CISL/WISL years.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did not play in the 1998 PSA mini pseudo-season (nor did Houston) but came back for the 1999 WISL season.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SteveCo repped this.
  22. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    SteveCo repped this.
  23. powerplay13

powerplay13 Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  24. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is interesting...the new owner is Michael Hitchcock. Look at the "other" indoor sport he is associated with or was.

About Playbook Management International (PMI):
    PMI is led by Founding Partner, Michael Hitchcock (Hitch). Hitch completed a 12+ year career in Major League Soccer before he launched PMI in November 2009. PMI is a Texas-based sports management company with a consulting division, management division & technology division that works with professional sports teams, leagues, events, stadiums & facilities. With the goal of helping sports properties realize their business potential through the playbook management system, PMI provides a number of services and products to our hand-selected clients. Consulting services include the development of comprehensive and fully integrated business plans called the PLAYBOOK and traditional consulting services. Management services include a fully outsourced business model where the PMI team will run and operate a client’s business operation. Technology products help our clients run a more efficient and profitable operation; to include the PMI Player Marketing System. PMI currently owns interest in professional soccer teams; Alfreton Town FC (Alfreton, Derbyshire, England), Tobago FC Phoenix 1976 (Crown Point, Tobago, Trinidad & Tobago), Fort Worth Vaqueros FC (Fort Worth, Texas, USA) and Napa Valley 1839 FC (Napa Valley, California, USA).

Hitch is the CEO of the Professional Futsal League (PFL) which launched in January 2015. PFL is bringing professional futsal to North America. Fore more information on PFL, visit www.professionalfutsal.com.

SteveCo repped this.
  25. heddalee

heddalee New Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    He was GM of FC Dallas for a few years, and worked with a couple of other MLS teams.