Dallas / Columbus - 7/5 - Pre-game

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by ej_dad, Jul 4, 2003.

1. ej_dad

ej_dad New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Flower Mound, TX
    I know that no one wants to think about another game so soon after Wed's suckfest, but there is a game tomorrow.

Does Jeffrey's really make the 'big changes' he said after Wed night's game?

What will those 'big changes' be?

Will he sit the old guys and let the young guys play?

2. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't know which team the Burn will field, the team who wants to change things or the team that starts off hot and then falls apart.

However I will still be going to Pugsley's tomorrow night to show support.

Then it off to KC for the road trip!

3. Valerie Simmons

Sep 2, 2000
    Burkburnett, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who got on the plane?

4. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who knows, but hopefully those who want to turn things around .

5. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am trying to find out.. will let you know if I learn anything.

6. burn_12

burn_12 New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    TX
    What would be a 'big change'?

bench Kreis
    bench Deering
    bench Suarez
    bench DJ

IMO both DJ and Suarez need to sit this one

7. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been told that Jeff Cassar will be starting Saturday.

But that is the only change I know for sure, although I have been told there will be others.

8. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Dallas / Columbus - 7/5 - Pre-game

Kreis is the only one scoring goals, bench him you're denying us a goal maybe. Who are you gonna play? EJ, the almighty goal-scorer? Kreis-Cerritos up top OR EJ-Cerritos to once and for all quiet everyone who thinks EJ can do anything on this team.

bench Suarez, Pareja, DJ (for mental reasons), and maybe Deering. Suarez HAS to sit this one, he is really giving up goals back there.

9. burn_12

burn_12 New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    TX
    Re: Re: Re: Dallas / Columbus - 7/5 - Pre-game

I also think Kreis should start, I was just trying to figure out what the big change would be.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is odd to consider sitting Kreis but it is not how many goals he scores but how many the team scores and more to the point getting them to score more than the opponent. Every combo has been tried with Jason and this year nothing is working. Supposedly Cerritos plays good with EJ in practice. Vaca also links up well with Johnson and a whole different style could (remember could not will) be achieved with through balls. I don't think Johnson's style on the youth nats has been to post up and work back into midfield but to get behind defenses or knock down headers.

Another reason for Kreis to sit is even if we make the playoffs he would be exausted and unable to help. Having other forwards get minutes to rest Jason will help if they are somehow able to put Humpy back together.

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    well I'm more concerned about making the playoffs first. Some people say "whats the point of making the playoffs, we'll only lose in the first round" and I say probably so at our present rate but we do have a record to keep. One of these days either us or L.A. is not gonna make the playoffs and I don't think we need to lose anything else to L.A.

with that being said....

it's official, we are now the worst team in the league with Colorado winning in the last minute today against KC.

onward to tomorrow.....

12. ej_dad

ej_dad New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Flower Mound, TX
    Long Term View or Short Term View

OK, there seems to be two different aproaches, one the Long Term View, ie develop the young players or the short term view, ie what does it take to win this week's game.

Kind'a like corporate America, what do we do to make a profit for the next 5 years or how do we boost the stock price this week. (Aren't some CEOs going to jail this week? {but that's a different forum})

I'm a long term view guy. Colorado won tonight, they didn't look half bad. They will clearly be above Dallas at the end of the year. KC has been playing well as well as LA and SJ. We suck, if we continue down this path we will establish a new record for fewest points in a season.

What changed from last year:
    1. Ronnie O'Brien
    2. Matt Jordan
    3. The field

We can't change any of those now. ROB is out. DJ doesn't have the experance or leader ship and the field sucks.

Which youngsters can learn now?

1. Davis - attacking middle
    2. Stone - defensive middle
    3. Gbandi - left defense
    4. Salyer - right defense
    5. DJ - learn to lead instead of be the joker

I say put the youngsters in, leave Kries in until he gets the record and put Thompson in when he is healthy.

Half way through the season I'm ready to write off this season. Nine points in twelve games. Come on, my kids U-12 team does better than that.

If this team is truly one of the more talented in the league, then let them show it, otherwise let's plan for 2005.

13. ej_dad

ej_dad New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Flower Mound, TX
  14. burn_12

burn_12 New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    TX
    3rd Degree almost always gets the lineup right so those must be the big changes.

Suarez benched, EJ starting? Im glad...although Ill believe when I see it.

I cant wait

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give Jeffries credit for one thing: He's not blind.

The fact that Stone is starting and that Deering isn't even making the trip tells me that apparently, Mike Jeffries has a certain tolerance level for completely useless play from his central midfielders.

And the Suarez benching for Salyer should be a not-so-subtle message to Ryan that he's been very mediocre and that he should worry about keeping his spot in the Burn starting lineup before even thinking about a place at the international level. Hopefully, Ryan'll use this opportunity to get his head straight and to get refocused on being a good defender.

16. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker New Member

Feb 12, 2002
    Texas
    Saturday's Lineup

The Burn will be playing a 3-5-2. If I got the news correctly, the lineup will be as follows:

Kreis - Cerritos
    Gbandi - Davis - Vaca - Stone - Salyer
    Thomas - Morrow - Suarez

Johnson did not make the trip to Columbus. Pareja, Rhine, Deering, Martinez, and Broome are ready to go on the bench.

17. burn 2002

burn 2002 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Also you must keep in mind that these guys played a couple of days ago. I'm bettting thats why he is sitting the guys that he is. as for people saying Pareja should be benched.. He is the ONLY guy who has any heart left for this team..and it's sure hard for him to do anything when the guys in the back are sending it to the forwards,and if everybody is playing like crap, what is he to do when he does get the ball??He is still the heart of the team, but all the wind is being taken out of his sails by the pathetic play of the rest of the team.Eddie P. Are you out there??

18. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    if that lineup is correct I don't know why he won't sit Suarez.

19. Burn20

Burn20 New Member

Jul 29, 2000
    NJ
    This wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I heard there were going to be "significant" changes made, but considering this may be the stupidest possible move, I guess I should have expected it from Jeffries. What did he do; say to himself "Who is the one player who is consistently busting his a$$ spite of little or no support? That would be DJ! I think I'll sit him and show him that I won't tolerate such behavor from the players." What an a$$hole!

DJ may be young and inexperienced, but damn...!!

Instead of sitting DJ, how about giving the kid some defenders who are willing and able to defend in front of him, so he doesn't have to do it alone?

20. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually my lineup prediction is based on what I see in practice and with conversations with several different people. Unfortunately this week I was not able to go to practice after Wednesday (due to outside factors), and the people who usually give me the travel squad info are on vacation for the holiday. So my lineup this weekend is based on talks I had on Tuesday and Wednesday and on my best guess. So for that I apologize, I put a great deal of effort into making those probable lineups as accurate as possible.

I do know for sure that Cassar is scheduled to start, and was in fact scheduled to start even before Wednesday. Both to give DJ a rest and Cassar some minutes.

Stone I put in as Jeffries said he was strongly leaning toward giving him a start on the road in Columbus. And Deering was subbed out for the first time Wednesday.

I put in EJ, just because he has been playing well in training, and Jeffries did not have a lot of positives to say about anyone last week up front. But to be fair when Coach does make a change (like from Rhine to Cerritos) he likes to give them a couple games.

I have Shavar in as he has been good two games in a row and was singled out by Jeffries for praise.
    Gbandi would have been playing the last two if he was not hurt, and after Jeffries admitted frustration with Ryan after the last couple games I made a guess you will see Salyer.

BUT AFTER Wednesday's game I talked to both Swift and Jeffries. They would not go into specifics, but based on those conversations I certainly would not be startled by ANYTHING Saturday.

I have even heard the following mentioned by a staffer in a hypothetical sense....
    Kreis, EJ
    Chivas, Davis, Vaca
    Stone
    Gbandi, Thomas, Bonseu, Salyer.

I don't think that will happen, as we were discussing the extreme in terms of change.

But bottom line anything is possible. I would be a bit surprised by a 3-5-2, as both Swift and Jeffries are not fans of that formation. Jeffries has told me on a couple occasions that he has considered it, but felt like a Wed to Sat window was not enough time to change formations.

But what the heck, who knows really.

21. burn_12

burn_12 New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    TX
    Re: Saturday's Lineup

To me that looks more like a 5-3-2

But there is no way Jeffries sits Deering and Pareja before Suarez.

22. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Yeah, 5-3-2 with Gbandi and Salyer playing as attacking wingbacks would be my guess.

I think it fits our personnel better.

23. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Saturday's Lineup

Not to pick a fight, but I am curious about what you feel the difference is between a 3-5-2 and a 5-3-2.

Is it becasue Gbandi and Salyer have the title defender?

A wingback is a wingback. A 3-5-2 and a 5-3-2 are exactly the same thing.

Why not, in a 3-5-2 (sorry 5-3-2) Suarez would be an ideal marking back. Deering and Pareja have a both proven to be older and slower?

24. burn_12

burn_12 New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    TX
    Re: Re: Re: Saturday's Lineup

Well the difference to me would be that the 3-5-2 would give both Salyer and Gbandi the freedom to attack and give Davis and Vaca the power in the center where they have been most dangerous this season. I personally would like to see the Davis/Vaca in the middle but dont think Salyer and Gbandi can really help much on the wings as Chivas and Vaca did last year. If you think about it other then Obrien we only have one true wing on this team, chivas. Yes Chivas and Vaca can't defend, but can Slayer and Gbandi get 20 assists?

With the 5-3-2 I would expect Jeffries would go for the tie and maybe get a goal and sit on it, not something he could really try at home. Surely this lineup would give su more stability on the back, but I dont see the mids and forwards linking up at all, we would see long ball after long ball.

Well the just my opinion

25. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So mainly you are using 3-5-2 vs 5-3-2 to signify a more defensive or attacking tactical mindset. I can understand that.