Dallas acquired Guarda

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by texgator, Jul 28, 2008.

1. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
  2. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two picks and allocation? This dude better be good.

3. fcd_noob

fcd_noob New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Plano
    From the blog:

OK: Toja = gone. (Right?)

Cooper = almost gone.

Brek Shea = 1st round pick, and barely makes an appearance. (Maybe I have unrealistic expectations.)

Ricardinho = who knows anymore.

So FCD engages in horse trading to land... a reserve?

I'll suffer the slings and arrows, but ca-mon, reserves they got. BUT: If this is one of those deals like Oduro last year where he is on a developmental plan but gets a fair amount of 1st team playing time, then nevermind, I'm all for it, yee haw! Then we can argue salaries for months on end. :D

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Since he's on the developmental roster, can we assume he's GA?

Presumably he didn't give up an SMU scholarship for 18K per. And, the league doesn't have youth internationals any more.

So I don't see how he could avoid the 18-man roster unless he's GA.

5. JuanIg

JuanIg New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Dallas
    Is he a U.S. citizen or does he have a green card?

Because if not, he also cost us another draft pick when we traded for the extra foreign spots.

6. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the point of landing an attacking CM type of player when we already have Avila on the roster?

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    He's not a US citizen.

I don't know if he has a Green Card or not but if forced to guess, I'd say no. He came here as an exchange student in HS and that means he was here on a student visa, same as his time at SMU, and student visas don't start the clock ticking towards getting a GC.

To be clear, I don't know for certain so it could be he has one.

8. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    That's what I don't get about the deal. I know Guarda is looked at more as a 2way midfielder....but we also have Dax. He doesn't appear to have the size or grit to be a pure def. midfielder....because that would make sense with Richetti's age. So I really don't get the urgency to land this kid.

9. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    And once again, Dallas plays its cards so far away from the vest, they give up too much. I am curious as to what the cash was. And Juan is right, you have to add in the foreign spot too. So a 2,3,4 and allocation for an SMU player, who no offense to Ugo, but rarely have been stellar in MLS. Sheesh!

10. Thedza

Thedza Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Funkytown
    If you look at our recent first round picks, not one of them saw regular playing time in their first season. Heck Dax still can't seem to get regular playing time when he is healthy and here.

11. markspence02

markspence02 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Fort Worth
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems Bill Parcells-ish of Hyndman to acquire Guarda...overpay for a player just because you like & are familiar with him.

12. fcd_noob

fcd_noob New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Plano
    Here is my theory, which only betrays my irrational, blind hatred for the FO. :)

I can't help but beam in on the "SMU" thing. Maybe this is a one-off, maybe this guy's name and number is going to be on the backs of thousands of fan jerseys this time next year, what do I know. But what if Hyndman is making like one of those new hires that came from [Fortune 500 company] and is full of ideas and suggestions about how to take your business to the "next level", namely creating the conditions s/he was used to at [former company].

Which in this case leads to FC Mustangs.

Again, maybe not, maybe I'm being all knee-jerkish and looking to complain about something, anything, but figured I'd run that up the flagpole.

13. fcd_noob

fcd_noob New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Plano
    Shorter me. :eek:

14. phildallas

phildallas New Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Dallas
    Well he does not have a green card, so he will occupy a int slot however he is a GA. From knowing his style of play and the way he works on practices I can say that he will be seeing playing time and I would even say that we might see him at the starting 11 when FC hosts the next game on Aug 30th.
    Lets wait and see

15. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will give Buster the benefit of the doubt for now. He knows this kid better than any of us do.

16. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    It's so nice to have you with us, Mr. Guarda. I sure hope you are proud of your son's accomplishments.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thanks for confirming he's GA and is an international.

Hopefully now that he has a work visa, Dallas and he get started on the Green Card process ASAP so that he can stop taking up an international spot sooner rather than later.

18. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx

Uh oh, how did it work the last time FCD had a highly touted center mid come out early from SMU with an over active father?

19. JuanIg

JuanIg New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Dallas
    Does he have a work visa? You generally need an employer before you can get a work visa. It could be a few weeks (plus a trip to Brazil) for him to get the correct paperwork.

20. Skeeter

Skeeter New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Texas
    We currently have 5 international slots tied up in Central midfielders.:confused:

I don't really mind the fact that we have 3 young kids who are all potentially attacking midfielders, especially if we are going to go with a diamond midfield. Someone mentioned the cautionary tale of one Ramone Nunez. I think going into last season with him as the Attacking Mid and really having no other viable options when he flamed out started the chain reaction of players being moved all over the pitch to play out of position to fill the whole. Let the three kids compete and and may the best man win and we will still have at least one talented young player in reserve.

I think what this move really signals is the end of the burrito chase.

"STAND BACK BURRITO!"

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played drums with Guardia Roja a couple times therefore he will undoutbedly be great (I think Twellman once played in Sam's Army).

22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Thought he would be.

23. phildallas

phildallas New Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Dallas
    How about just someone who played against him and with/against some of the current FC Dallas players.... So I do know what I am talking about and if you think I am wrong that just way and see with your own eyes, or read what SH said some hours after my post ;). If you really follow the local soccer you would know he played a Dallas Cup with Avi under IMG u-19 and Guarda was the main guy scoring in the finals, so based on that I am sure he will see playing time asap.

To reply another post, I am not sure if he can apply for green card as I read before here, he has been here since HS however prob under a student visa which I dont think counts towards your "years requirement" for the green card, but who knows...

24. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

...details....details...

25. phildallas

phildallas New Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Dallas
    Rocha,Pablo,Guarda ,Saragosa and Serioux( didnt know canadian counted as int since Toronto is part of it)