Daily Illini: Soldier Field on Fire

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by jmeissen0, Oct 10, 2003.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    curtain?

and i don't know how unexpected our player movement was... it was more a question of who and how

2. Rowdies 71

Rowdies 71 New Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Oak Park
    They cover the story and give the game some press and all we can do is hack on it?

Let's all notify them of their mistakes. I'm sure that will guarantee that they cover the Fire in the future.

3. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Nice article, but as noted, short on fact checking.

There are no doubt some DC fans who might take issue with the assertion that the Fire is only team to have captured "the double."

4. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    So, fine, I'll cut him some slack; he's only a college kid - but, he didn't do his homework.
    A for effort, C for execution. If you're smart, you don't publish your mistakes in the mass media. It only makes you look dumber.

And as far as notifying them of their mistakes, how are they to know they screwed up and fix it, if nobody tells them. This guy could go on eternally thinking Jim's name is "Curtain" and that the Fire is the only team to do "the double" unless someone straightens him out.

5. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Let's also not rule out the fact that he may have spelled Curtin right, and a college editor, who doesn't know his spelling, changed it to the commonly spelled version.

He seemed to know enough, though with an occasional minor mess-up, for me to give him the benefit of the doubt.

6. Rowdies 71

Rowdies 71 New Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Oak Park
    In my opinion, a nice "thanks for covering the Fire" would go much further to better the coverage of the Fire. I'll take more stories like these (dotted with a few mistakes) than the other option...no coverage.

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

that's pretty much the reply i gave him

since i pointed out mistakes and didn't harp on him... i'm not sure how i hacked on him

he's done soccer stuff in the past, and i've sent him e-mails of thanks

please take note when a post isn't negative and just points things out... that's a huge difference then straight out slamming someone... but then again, it might take a split second to figure out the difference

8. Rowdies 71

Rowdies 71 New Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Oak Park
    In my split second decision, I guess I failed to see the positive message in your posts...my apologies.

9. zickarena

zickarena New Member

Jan 7, 2001
    Farmington
    Living in Champaign and working at the University, I can tell you there are not too many articles related to the Fire nor are there articles about the Fire that make the front page of the sports section.

I applaud the individual who wrote the column even if he dropped the ball on a few things. The exposure enough in this area is great to see.

The local newspaper (News Gazette) last I checked doesn't even include MLS scores or standings in their paper so as you can see this article is pretty significant for the area. Plenty of Nascar though.

Please write the author and encourage more of it. When I went to high school in the area back in the mid to late 80's, there were few soccer teams in the area. Now just about every high school has a team down here. Little towns like Sullivan and Teutopolis have teams. If you think Clint Mathis is a hick, you haven't seen anything yet. :)