D2 structure news

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by dspence2311, Oct 15, 2010.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Anyone have any insight into when we might expect to hear about the structure of D2 next year, and where exactly the Aztex will fit in? Are there meetings scheduled or other indicators of when decisions will be made?

2. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet there are two possibilties. One:USL has already thrown in the towel, but just hasn't explicitly told the world (in which we find out ealier than later). Or Two: USL-NASAL brinksmanship till March, and we don't learn anything solid until the season is almost on top of us in March (like last year).

3. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL will not do D2. The only possibilities for D2 are:
    1. the NASL, and
    2. the USSF running it again.

I don't expect that we'll hear anything before the playoffs finish, meaning the end of October. My guess is that we'll hear something within a week or two after that. But definitely before early December. With the World Cup decisions being made then, the USSF will want things all in order before that.

If the USSF decides, despite the issues with it, to sanction the NASL, then the Aztex will go there. If the USSF decides to not sanction the NASL, but, despite all the issues, to run the league again themselves, then the Aztex will go there. If neither of those things happen, the only place left is the USL PRO league, and that's where they'll be despite it causing some travel unhappiness for whichever teams they end up playing.

All MHO, of course.

4. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the Aztex could join Primera División. ;)

I mean, if the Posse could aspire to it...

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL has their AGM in November, I assume that USL might expect Austin to make a call between USL Pro or NASL by then.

Of course the big decision to make is based on NASL getting sanctioned.

6. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Respuesta: Re: D2 structure news

Doesn't the Aztex owneship realize that they could actually be helping that decision being made if they joined NASL now and help its case?? Specially considering how they would be helping themselves now that San Antonio is in. You'd think the fans want to know what league are purchasing season tickets pretty soon.

But it seems like they're actually comfortable with the US Fed running the league. Nevertheless it's kind of naive to assume the Fed is gonna continue with that burden now that only 1 team out of the whole D2 scheme is out of NASL.

7. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Respuesta: Re: D2 structure news

It's not naieve if you look at the number of teams that either league has which can meet the 2010 USSF standards for D2 teams. We're back in the same situation as last year where neither league has the number of teams to be sanctioned under the stated guidelines. In this case, the issue is the Financial criteria that the USSF has laid down. That's why many of us in Austin feel that USSF will again manage the league in 2010. If USSF is stating, which they haven't in recent months, that they're 100% against managing the league, then NASL would have the largest number of teams meeting the criteria. However, I and many others believe that the USSF will indeed step in for 2010 as the cost to manage is half what they expected, and they need to be seen as managing their internal leagues for the 2022 World Cup Draw which is scheduled for early December.