D1 Schools Scouring The Globe For Internationals

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Dsocc, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    It looks like my days of extolling the virtues of D1 recruiting methods over those of the NAIA may rapidly be drawing to a close, if this is the current methodology. Worse still, I don't think that some of these players even went to Dayton (including Dipsy Selolwane). Maybe something got lost in the translation.

www.nationmalawi.com/print.asp?articleID=15716

Depending on the outcome of this weekend's games, A-10 brethern SLU might want to consider this route as well.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Actually, there is a tie between this and SLU.

Dennis Currier, the current Dayton head coach, was the head coach at Division II Harris Stowe in the city of St. Louis. He recruited Selowane to Harris Stowe and he played there for a season before going to SLU for a year.

Currier then went to D-II Incarnate Word before coming to Dayton.

Selowane was by no means an isolated case. He has a long history of recruiting internationally so it should come as no surprise he's going that route at Dayton.

Shame of it is that after producing the likes of Chris Rolfe and Dasan Robinson, who were recruited by his predecesor, Dayton ought to be an appealing option for American players and he should be able to build on that but is instead opting to go the foreign route.

BTW, if Currier's primary contact for players in Botswana is an agent, and that agent is getting paid, I bet the NCAA would be a tad interested in that little relationship.

3. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Harris Stowe is NAIA.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thanks for clarifying that.