D1 2019 NCAA Tournament General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by McSkillz, Nov 22, 2019.

1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Replaceable. We lost some good players last year and we made it all the way to the CC without them. It happens to college teams every year.

2. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #277 Soccerhunter, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Congratulations to Stanford for this victory. The Cardinal played hard and well. They came in as #1 and left as #1 what more could one ask?

As a Tarheel alum and fan, I am also proud of the great defensive effort that almost took the game. Holding the vaunted Stanford record setting offense scoreless, is a great feat given that in the NCAA tournament the Cardinal averaged 6 goals per game coming into the final match, including a 4.5 goal average for the tough 4th and 5th rounds against very good BYU and UCLA teams. Anson must have read my mind ;) acting to change the formation to a 4 back moving Bridgette to Emily's position at right back where she performed wonderfully and coordinated with the rest of the defense quite well. It is clear that we really frustrated the Cardinal scorers who are used to having much more success. For the season that's 20 shutouts in 27 total games.

The Heels offense did not do as well as wished with the shot total, but that would be expected against Stanford. The shots on goal were 6-4 for Stanford, and we came close several times. The corner stats were awful for the Heels (14 conceded) but we defended everyone of them well.

But all in all a good effort from both teams which played a close battle so all heads can be held high.

Cheers!

3. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    UCLA has an excellent recruiting class coming in next year which includes at least 8 players who each could possibly start.

4. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, WTF? I don’t have kids yet....

5. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    Your telling me 5 freshman will come and play just as good as your daughter and the other girls leaving. I don't see it.

6. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay confession time, that is my kid. I had her when I was 14 years old during a trip to Canada. That hockey player was too hard to resist. You can see the Native American accents on the face, she totally looks like me..../s

jnielsen and cpthomas repped this.
  7. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    And Amanda is not helping recruiting throwing her players under the bus at halftime. No one else in pac 12 does that. Dennis Rodman daughter decommitted and is going to Washington state.

8. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    All I'm saying is UCLA is losing world class players. And freshman will take a year or two to adjust to college game.

9. SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 Member

Nov 13, 2004
    You can’t say UCLA’s taunting is ok and then get upset if Meyers reacts the way she did. Taunting is taunting, period. And given the circumstances, I can see how Meyers was more fired up.

Let me make it clear though - I don’t condone Meyers reaction. I think it was disrespectful to Fishel. However, UCLA can’t complain about Meyers reaction if they were being just as disrespectful.

And mind you, I love a good trash talk... but only with people I know. If you trash talk and you know the other person, there is still a level of respect there. If you trash talk a stranger, the respect is gone and that is the key for me.

socalsoccer23 and blissett repped this.
  10. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay man, whatever you say, I’m done feeding the troll.

11. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    Ok 8 players coming in and starting. And there going to be as good as seniors that left? I dont see it. There is adjustment year for all but 1 or 2 freshman players.

12. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    Sorry my apologies. I thought your daughter was on UCLA side.

13. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Of course not all freshman players will come and start. What I am saying that the quality is such that any one of the top 8 (or seven if Trinity Rodman has de-committed) could reasonably be strong enough to start. Realistically -perhaps only 2 or 3 will be regular starters, but, again my point is that the overall class is strong enough that more may surprise. (It may boil down to how many really commit serious time and effort to properly prepare themselves this summer for the fall season.)

Messi #1 repped this.
  14. Nutmeg13

Nutmeg13 New Member

Nov 25, 2019
    UCLA loses four consistent key starters and one coming off the bench. They will be able to adjust, and their second keeper is just as good or if not better than TM. That will help them a lot. They will get some good freshmen and players back from injury, and players like Fishel and Trevithick will only be better next year. They will be fine, it's the following year when Sanchez, and Macario's class (for Stanford) leave that people should be worried about.

15. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No denying it - Brash arrogance these days is widely applauded, encouraged and even voted in. "Deal with it" is what those who support it will tell you.

cpthomas and McSkillz repped this.
  16. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sports stars are entertainers -- and brash behavior "puts fannies in the seats." (in the immortal words of Reggie Jackson). I don't like brash behavior if, in my subjective opinion, it is hateful; I like it if it's done in good humor. I can't think of any female soccer player who offends me -- although Abby Wambach used to come close with her gamesmanship.

HeadSpun repped this.
  17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I heard her halftime comments and didn't have a problem with them. I think she simply said that she had players who needed to be better--that, and she should have started four in the back, not three! Dennis Rodman's daughter? Hmmm: No offense to the kid, but I, as a coach, would not want to have a lot of contact with Rodman.

HeadSpun, McSkillz and JTmoney12714 repped this.
  18. JTmoney12714

JTmoney12714 New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 8, 2019
    Wow, what's Dennis Rodman have to do with. That being said, Dennis Rodman is rarely in his kids lives. They have little contact with him.

On another note, I agree with you , her halftime talk was honest and not harsh. Simply honest... BUT people want everything to sound and feel cushiony these days.

19. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll never understand why year in and year out super stars go to a school only to sit the bench for four years due to the roster being full of All-Americans. Why don't some go to a school were they have a better chance to start or where they could help build a new dynasty? I know elite recruits all think they will start at the UCLAs, UNCs and Stanfords of the world, but that isn't reality. Also the notion of the best wanting to play with the best is wonderful, however with the lack livable salaries in womens pro soccer why not go to a lesser known school, play all four years and enjoy yourself? With five or six schools all having the best, parity seems impossible.

HeadSpun, ping, Messi #1 and 1 other person repped this.
  20. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like this has been the case for decades since the 1990s though. Top prospects being wooed by the top universities to play for them. One famous example of a great player not wanting to play at a top school was Abby Wambach. As legend has it, she could have played at UNC but she wouldn't have been given a full ride or maybe it was Stanford, I forget what school it was... anyway, she opted for Florida because she felt she fit better with that program despite it never winning a championship or anything. As a result, at some point during her career there, she managed to help them get one championship, I believe the only one in their history. So some top players do decide to go elsewhere sometimes.

ping repped this.
  21. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Should have been yellow carded in the Friday game according to the NCAA rules:
    12.4.3.5 Engaging in other acts of unsporting behavior, including taunting, excessive celebration, simulating a foul, exaggerating an injury, baiting, ridiculing another player, bench personnel, officials or spectators;

Now I'll defend her actions in the final. Everyone views the game differently. Most allow for goal scorers and teams to celebrate to some degree. I would argue that GK save celebrations should be given the same latitude as goal celebrations. I didn't initially like what the Stanford GK did but I'm not a GK and I'm old. I think she can and should celebrate a save any way she wants (within the NCAA rule(s.))

Most celebrations can be labeled as "brash", "arrogant", and "immature" if you think critically about them and are completely honest. My wife thinks I am "immature" for placing any kind of significance on athletic events at all. She thinks I am "arrogant" and "brash" for caring about the result of any game....."can't you just play for fun?" is something I hear all the time. She thinks I am "classless" when I jump up and down cheering for players. She also never played competitive sports. Perception is everything. Maybe she is right?

But....I love the passion and competitive fire the game brings out in players, coaches, and fans. I celebrate the Stanford GK in the final for those qualities and her mental strength. She dealt with extreme pressure and won the game in her mind and on the pitch.

22. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Forgot to add how bad@$$ I thought it was that the UNC GK converted her PK. Not a big fan of PKs for championships but I thought that added to the tension.

kolabear, socalsoccer23 and HeadSpun repped this.
  23. SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 Member

Nov 13, 2004
    That’s exactly the point - soccer isn’t the end all, be all for a majority of players - so why not go to a school that fits you as a student as well as a soccer player? Stanford, UCLA and UNC are great places to live four years as a student (since those are the ones thrown out the most as collecting elite talent).

Not to mention, those schools have freshmen start all the time, so it’s not unusual for incoming freshmen thinking they have a chance to contribute.

24. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    As a fan of an SEC school that gets good recruits but certainly not of the uniform quality that we see with the big dogs, I completely endorse this message!

25. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Yes! And she didn't waste much time stepping up and belting the ball into the back of the net. She was impressive last night, and not the punkish attitude of the Stanford keeper.

McSkillz and ytrs repped this.