Post-match: D.C. United - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 8/22) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 22, 2015.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #51 falvo, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Yeah I think both Dom and Doyle have been doing their jobs in the last week and deserve some type of credit. Maybe they are reading our boards or maybe they told everyone to wake up or maybe Dom's tactics are working. Either way, considering the July they had and beating KC the way they did and DC on the road not mention 9 points in 8 days is pretty incredible. I hope it continues.

evade6317 repped this.
  2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You can evaluate this week a few ways. The team we saw at home last week did not look like a winning team, despite the win. And now, two improbable and inspired wins. A blip of the sort that happens at least one a season for every team (I remember losing to a bottom feeder in 2012)? A testament to Dom's superb coaching ability? A real swing in the right direction? Or something else? Don't underestimate the power of the mental game. Our guys are feeling like winners again and maybe getting over July.

3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

4. Marinquake

Marinquake Member

May 26, 2011
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Quincy, Dom was the 1st coach to use him in his natural position - target forward. He said most coaches looked at his size and discounted that as an option. For that, kudos to Dom ..

5. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The problem is we all well know that they are not, and even a broken clock is right twice a day.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That is nice and it looks to be true as things have worked with Quincy so far. Although I rarely hear or read a player criticize or say something against his current coach when things go badly.

ant0n repped this.
  7. TigersFIMA

TigersFIMA Member

Aug 27, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote from Geoff Lepper article on MLS site, "Nine days, three matches, three time zones. Three shutouts. Three wins. The San Jose Earthquakes took a stretch that could have easily ended their playoff hopes and instead turned the cross-country road trip into a potential pivot point for the 2015 season."

Though it remains to be seen if can continue to pick up the points needed to make the playoffs (games at home will help, but margin for error still pretty tight and seems likely that the team's depth will be further tested), have to be very pleased with the effort, focus, and belief shown by the team on this trip.

QuietType repped this.
  8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sweetie, I don't think this is about the Quakes. Something else is bugging you. X-box broken? Maybe you should take a break from the board, go for a walk, enjoy the sunshine.

9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    After yesterday, wouldn't that be three times a day? ;)

10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    ..or a low-tier non-playoff team. :--)

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Exactly. Thanks for posting that clip. When people were saying in 2009 that all he does is run around and fall down, that's the kind of play I was trying to call out. I continue to contend that he's been an effective player all along. Quincy has improved over the years, and of course he would - he was a rookie in 2009. But what has improved even more is the level of appreciation for what he brings to the table.

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    My comment from that midseason thread in 2009 reflects much of the "common wisdom" about Quincy, at least at that time.

"It's become fashionable now to dump on Q because of the old "all he does is run around" thing, and because he hasn't scored yet."

Maybe I am overstating the negativeness, but there were certainly a lot of strongly negative opinions, including some even in the "Quincy's back" thread, even after he had somewhat proven himself in Chicago last year.

13. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I noticed it right away that he played a better big man than our two taller forwards. Makes sense now.

nfiniti repped this.
  14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Exactly. Whereas Adam Jahn is 6'3", he plays like he's 5'6". Quincy is listed as 5'9" (perhaps in his screw-ins) but he plays like he's 6'3"!

Stereolab, Neuwerld and QuietType repped this.
  15. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    yes! well done Quakes! super excited for Friday.

16. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #66 ant0n, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Then what? Are you likely to win MLS Cup? No. So are you saying Doyle, Kaval and Wolff have done enough to keep the you from asking for change?

Is Shea Salinas now a top MLS winger after we have seen him once again go through more of his usual peaks in form?

17. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You all can laugh, but Shea is one of the most easily influenced players, and we try to get into his head all the time. One of the advantages of sitting in club seats with all the clueless rich people is that Shea is ours for at least one half. I cannot tell you how many times my son and I have shouted "Shea, you got this!" and he gets the ball and goes. I think that's why he's so weak at most away games, because we're not there to encourage him.

18. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't you say it is similar to the Salinas is back thread? Yallop said he came back a a man yet is still as inconsistent as always. Quincy being better than Jahn and Sherrod says more about how bad they are than Quincy being considerably improved. Quincy just tries shit, so he will go through spurts where things click. His work rate alone makes him a guy that will always be in the mix.

markmcf8 repped this.
  19. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Low self esteem it seems.

20. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get Nayasi on the other side. Oddly enough, it's really tough to get through his skull ;)

I get Cato now, so hopefully that will yield better results. Wynn already does pretty much everything I ask before I have to ;)

evade6317, Earthshaker and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  21. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Regarding Quincy, he's quoted in today's Merc as saying the coaches have confidence in him. Maybe for the first time in his career someone has said, you're our first choice at target forward...you are the one. He knows he's not going to get yanked if he takes chances and tries stuff, which gives him piece of mind and a ton of confidence. Kinnear didn't "mold" him, maybe he just gave him some simple direction what he wants him to do and how important he is to the team.

ColinMcCarthy and markmcf8 repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    So I guess you could say that he "molded him" by not trying to mold him o_O. It's a zen thing :--).

23. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Just observing that getting to the playoffs after an abysmal first half of the season would be something a San Jose Earthquakes fan would find agreeable, no?

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a lot of people here, they want the team to either be god awful, so they can bitch and moan to their hearts content, or more preferably be great. But somewhere in the middle where you have to have a more nuanced opinion? No thanks.

bigdumbgod repped this.
  25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We want to have hope. Don't mock us.