Alert: D.C. United @ Chicago Fire F.C. 6/18/22

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JayRockers!, Jun 18, 2022.

1. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horrible defending.

Essentially unmarked on the pass and unmarked man inside the box for the header.

Bad.

Winoman repped this.
  2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Also they really look like they’ve never played together before.

Winoman, Von Zee and dcu n bntwn repped this.
  3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Five minutes from losing two to Chicago.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    0 points.

Winoman and dcu n bntwn repped this.
  5. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad players, bad soccer. 3 weeks to prepare and they play like that. I don't want to hear anything from Ashton, only I stink, my team stinks, no excuses.

John L, anotherfan, Alejandro 10 and 3 others repped this.
  6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  7. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    If ever there was a walking billboard for promotion/relegation, it’s this game. Both teams deserve to be in the drop zone. My hope is that everyone connected with this farce gets their walking papers.

I skipped the first half, shouldn’t have bothered with the second. It’s just not good enough, as the results clearly show.

PSURoss and Winoman repped this.
  8. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Jesus, that was trash. Worst team in the league by far . And yes; worst franchise. What a joke.

majspike, dcu n bntwn and Winoman repped this.
  9. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    My favorite comment from social media: "I forgot we even had a game today, I was watching the Capital Cup DVD" :D

Alejandro 10, Wyrm2, Yowza and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least we're consistent. We make EVERY team we play, no matter how bad, look like Real Madrid.

11. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was painful, but offers clarity.

This team is simply not good enough. There seems to be a complete absence of tactics and chemistry. When looking at distribution/transition play and interplay in the attacking 1/3, we literally seem worse than a pick up team.

Problems are abundant, but hopefully a lot can be remedied by signing 3-4 players early in the transfer window.

Master of the obvious. We need a DP attacking midfielder (Flores replacement/upgrade). Unlike Flores, he has to be able to cope with the physical play in the middle of the field and also have better passing vision.

Our central midfielders seem worse than average. They are OK from a defensive standpoint. Unfortunately, they are not particularly good in transition and they are not effective in contributing in the attacking 1/3 either. We need an experienced Dmid with a higher soccer IQ and better passing ability than our current options (even Moreno and Felipe were better than our current options).

The striker pool needs more variety. Estrada, Robertha, and Kamara are all shades of the same player. So far, Kamara is the best of the three. Ideally, we sign a more versatile DP that forces all three out or to the bench. At minimum, one of them needs to go and we need a new striker that offers a different skill set (speed, ability to create on the dribble, or ability to create assists).

The left side of the attack needs to be revamped. We need a quality winger or wing back as an actual replacement for Paredes who could push Smith to the bench.

IMO, these are the minimum needed to compete in the final 1/3 of the season.

Daniel le Rouge2, Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  12. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fire were terrible, if Gressel had even an average game DC comes away with points. Evidence of the Fire's futility was the fact that DC is an atrocious passing team, yet still fell into chance after chance they promptly squandered.

Bottom of the barrel MLS is a really bad entertainment product. When I feel like I'd rather watch a high school match, it's bad.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  13. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Everyone is so mean. Give Lucy a chance.

14. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #39 Freestyle2000, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    Tough to watch.

17 goals on the season, 16 come from "forwards." Only a Canouse header from any of the other seven field positions (and that came back in March). The goal of a 3-4-3 shouldn't be to put all of your offense in the front three players, right?

Remember back when Birnbaum was a threat in the air for us?

15. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Nope. 10 goals in 200 games.

Thx,

Jay!

PSURoss repped this.
  16. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team was 30 bad minutes (come from in-front losses over two games) from being first in the East when Losada was fired. They're just playing rutterless soccer now, and the form of most of the guys is in the toilet.

17. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    thank you, Chad

18. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    There, I fixed that for you.

PSURoss, majspike, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    D.C. United off target in loss at Chicago as winless streak hits five

Flores, who was scheduled to return to Washington on Saturday from Peruvian national team duty, is being pursued by Mexican club Atlas, while Yow, 19, might end up with Belgium’s Westerlo.

Asked why the duo weren’t in Chicago, interim coach Chad Ashton said, “Those are questions for Dave Kasper,” United’s president of soccer operations and sporting director.

“Overall, I feel very optimistic with how it looked in the second half,” Ashton said. “We’ve got to obviously put that together for an entire 90 [minutes], but it’s good that we got something moving in the right direction.”

How on earth was Flores not returning until Saturday while Pedro Gallese was in Doha on Monday and managed a game in New England on Wednesday?

And what second half was Ashton watching? Did he think he was coaching Chicago and not DC?

Thx,

Jay!

dadman, Daniel le Rouge2, Yowza and 3 others repped this.
  20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That red card happens and we end this nil nil with a road point.

Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  21. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    That's on Romo. He was cheating badly to his right, and even though the header came in with no power from about 15 yards away, he froze and waved at it. Awkward.

This is the first season I can remember since the days of Louis Crayton and Zach Wells where we're losing points and games because our goalies are inferior. That said, Chicago were clearly the better team last night.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  22. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    You've got all of the ghosts!

dadman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    And it's past time to give up these ghosts.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  24. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    ...and Josh Wicks...

DangerMouse37 and Winoman repped this.
  25. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    We were out at a BBQ and I didn't get home until the middle of the 2nd half and decided not to turn it on after a quick spin through DCU Twitter. Looks like a solid life decision on my part.

Correct and he's not going to push Bill for anything. He's not showing any kind of sharpness or focus in his game. 3 weeks off can do that to a keeper, but where is Ashton and the FO with a competitive game or two in this 3 week break?

One guy gives a shit about his team, the other doesn't and probably wouldn't be doing any more than light training to preserve his health, which is a definite weak spot for Flores. I hope they slap fragile stickers all over him when they ship him out. I'd hate for him to be returned because they unboxed a broken player who was taken out by the drinks cart on his flight out of DC.

I am sure Chad was watching the same kind of second half that led our FO to call this roster a playoff team. Besides, what else can he say? He's auditioning for the job, which he's still got a better than average chance of keeping. If he trashes them, he's failed to prep the team during a 3 week break and he sure doesn't have the nuts to call this roster what it is like Losada did.
    I don't think I realized how hatable Shaqiri is until I watched him play here a few eons ago at the beginning of the season. I never saw him very much, having not been a follower of any of the teams he played for. The dude is irritating and utterly unlikable. I am sure his teammates love him.