D.C. Baseball Team Could be 'Nationals'

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Postmaster, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Postmaster

Postmaster Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Poolesville, MD USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nat's isn't official as the name of the USA Men's Soccer Team, but I still really don't like this news.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?sid=321703&nid=398
    "The Washington Nationals -- how does that sound?

The Washington Times is reporting Major League Baseball will likely choose that for the name of the new Washington baseball team. Baseball officials are expected to make the announcement within two weeks."

2. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's terrible and doesn't sound like the Nats. I don't mind the Nats at all.

3. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Doesn't make me care about them.

4. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But just think of chanting: Go Nats....:D

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why would they rename the team at all, without having an ownership group. a new ownership group is going to get saddled with a name that MLB chose?? dumb dumb dumb. baseball at its "best".

6. auf Amerika

auf Amerika Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Like the article says... they need a name to market the club for the upcoming season.

Nationals was the original name for the Washington MLB team. Only later did they become the Senators. I think it's cool.

The Men's soccer team is just the United States. They don't have a nickname and they're not supposed to.

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Why not? Many National teams have nicknames....

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they have a name ...... the expos. market that until new owners come and choose a name. this is so mickey mouse. expos nationals ...... and then a new owner finally comes in a year or two and changes the name again. ughh

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who says?

10. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never could understand why Montreal used Expos in the first place. They had a long tradition with Royals in AAA.

11. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Montreal Expo—The Expos are named after Expo '67, the world's fair held in Montreal two years before the team's inaugural game. The fair ran for the entire year and drew approximately 50 million people.

12. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nationals is a dumbass name for a baseball team, as you have the fricking National League.

13. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    The way things go these days, they'll be lucky not to be called the "Washington Wallmarts" or something similar ... "Nationals" doesn't sound that bad anymore, does it?

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's what the San Diego Padres were going to be called when they were all but on their way to Washington in 1974. Historically, before the current team nicknames became more or less official, teams were often referred to as "Americans" and "Nationals" as a reference to which league they were in.

To baseball fans, this is a fine name. Certainly better than Raptors or Burn or BC DC 05. :p

15. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. But it did not make long-term marketing sense. A world's fair is one recent thing but they forgot all about their many years of excellent baseball tradition. Jackie Robinson broke in with the Montreal Royals. And literally "Montreal" is based on "Mt Royal" nearby.

16. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    I happen to like the name Washington Nationals. I could give a rat's arse about the team, but I do like the name.

We are still the Nats !!! No one can take that away from us. And to the poster who said we are the United States and we don't need a nickname...you're crackers. Almost every country in the world has a nickname for their nat'l side.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I've always been fond of Gringos.

18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

I like that one tho'. ;)

19. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a former baseball fan from the old days, I can state that "Nats" was strongly associated with the first Washington Senators team. Just as "nats" is used for the usmnt, "Nats" was used for Wash Senators. It always was their unofficial nickname. I think that Washington Nationals is a great name for them. After all, Washington is the capitol of the Divided States of America, oops, I mean the United States of America. ;)

20. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    They should just call the team the Orphans. ;)

21. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    After the bomshell that Chaiperson Linda Cropp dropped yesterday, this whole baseball situation might have disappeared by this time next week. Mayor Williams and Councilman Evans might not have the votes that they need to approve the staidum deal...

22. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All true, but it still made more sense than the Utah Jazz...

23. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well they aren't really nicknames (in the traditional american sporting culture sense) but some nations refer to there national teams occasionaly as:

England - Three Lions
    France- Les Blues ?

I am sure they're more but I don't care enough to look it up further.

24. accion

accion Member

Nov 28, 1998
    dfw, texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    i've never liked nats as a nickname, i'm not even sure it could even really be called a nickname. its not like other national nicknames (azzurri, la furia roja, el tri, indomitable lions), it says nothing about the team or our country. it basically exsist so people dont have to type out united states national soccer team.

25. Postmaster

Postmaster Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Poolesville, MD USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31331-2004Nov6.html
    That didn't take long. The press is already calling the baseball team the "Nats" and this guy is writes soccer.

OT: By the way, DC/NE was a very good game [and the better team won, finally.]