Czechs writes about USA and Arena

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bltleo, Apr 20, 2006.

1. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    from czech press about USMNT

latest news:
    Czech press reported after game USA-Jamaica that the only player that really proved himself was LANDON DONOVAN!.

in czech language only:
    http://fotbal.idnes.cz/u-soupere-ce...ot_reprez.asp?c=A060412_105152_fot_reprez_min

next top news in czech press was article about Arena: Bruce ARENA´s optimism about world cup. BRUCE ARENA believes in USMNT and is very optimistic. Czech press summarize short success of USA in last world cup,
    last friendly games etc. Nothing new for you.

I found it only interesting how much attention czech press pay to USA.

bltleo
    GERMANY

2. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    I guess they don't know we are rated 4 in the world by Fifa. I guess they also don't know we decided to play all the games leading up to the WC with are scrubs.

3. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

the article reported that USA is 4. in FIFA...czechs are second by the way:)

so it will be interesting match FIFA 2 against FIFA 4.

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

since we have kind of a big game with them coming up why would you be surprised they're paying attention?

5. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    maybe because they have never written so much about USA before:)

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

have they ever played the US in a World Cup before?

7. el fenómeno

el fenómeno New Member

Mar 23, 2005
    5th Ward. Texas
    Yes 1990, and it was an absoloute THRASHING!!!

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, i know. and they probably wrote stories about us then, too. just saying we shouldn't be suprised that a WC opponent is having stories about us appear in their newspapers.

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    our team was 2/3 amateur in 1990! It was a real miracle that the USA qualified. That was then, this is now!!

10. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    actually, 1990 it was the czech republic and slovakia....

prior to the break-up...

this continued usa gets no respect mantra strikes me as being a bit of an inferiority complex by some usa soccer fans...

who really cares what others think of usa soccer....

show up june 12 and let the 90 minutes tell the truth

11. El-Professor

El-Professor New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Gulf Plains
    Absofreakinlutely!!!!

12. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

Actually, I think most posters here are hoping and wishing the US gets no respect. I am disappointed everytime there is a new Czech article about the US because it appears the Czechs are actually studying the US team, which is something I was really wishing wouldn't happen.

13. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    i think it'd be more likely for FANS of a nation to discount the usa somewhat...

a coach and it's staff.....no way

14. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember the Portuguese writing about the US team four years ago. Anyone?

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I never saw it but you have to be certain they did. I mean, our local rag would preview our next MLS opponent ... I would imagine any Euro paper worth the price of its newsprint previewed upcoming world cup opponents if not every team in the tournament.

16. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I imagine the write ups and scouting will have plenty more relevance when we play Morocco, Venezeuela, and Latvia next month. Really the only game we've played featuring anything remotely like our first team was the Poland match, and that was ruined by the weather and the absences of I think 4 or 5starters. Those friendlies in May will define things as far as I can see. The Jamaica friendly, much like the German friendly were essentially irrelevant beyond getting a few non-entities out of the picture.

17. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    You could probably argue that Portugal didn't do their homework.

18. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    I remember some Portugal newspaper comparing a potential (thiw was before the cup) US upset of Portugal with the Portugal basketball team beating the Dream Team.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    It's not just the coaches doing their homework but the
    mentality of the players. How much will they respect
    USA.

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    we are # 4 in FIFA rankings, even if those are BS. Forget about other teams ignoring us or being unprepared. Just forget that stuff now.

21. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    No because they thought it was a piece a cake game.:p

22. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I also remember a lack of US squad knowledge among the Portuguese players in 2002. I seem to recall one of their stars naming Cobi Jones and Alexi Lalas when asked about us.

We're definitely being studied more carefully by our opposition this time around.

23. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    We probably won't sneak up on anyone and I don't see the Czech's really getting a Portugal state of mind pre-game, but I think it's far more likely Italy comes in overconfident, than actually respectful. FAR MORE LIKELY. Maybe they'll be right, they certainly are better, man for man across the field, but I do believe we do a far better job of utilizing the quality we do have than they do and I'm virtually positive that they will come in with an arrogant mindset, particularly if they pick apart Ghana. Ghana's perspective is anyone's guess. I have no idea what mindset they'll come in with.

24. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

yes you are number 4 in Fifa..and before you played friendly against Germany in Dortmund, you won all friendly games...well after we did beat you in Dortmund, you might get schock:)... however taking into account your WCQ games, your friendly games, your performance in Gold Cup, then I think no one should underestimate USA.....USMNT 2006 is not the same then USMNT in 90´s....I would also say you are better then in 2002....and in 2002 you could have go into semi-finale if we Germans did not beat you :)....looks like you have only bad luck with Germans...you have never played against Czech team (at least not their current team) and Czechs never played your team....
    so both USA and Czech try to analyze each other....both have respect of each other.....Czech knows how to play against Italy, they know Italy good, some czech players lNedved play in Italy....but USA?...They have no experience.....so I think this is why they pay so much attention to american soccer.....Bruckner said once (I think I reported about this) that he would like to watch "miracle Americans"....and he really did watch USMNT in Dortmund....Unfortunately he could not see your A-team....Many top stars of USMNT were missing......so Bruckner can analyze USMNT just from DVD´s.....and as he said 80% of all DVD´s he is watching are games of USMNT.

so YES; USMNT is damm good team...

well I´m not happy you are in Fifa ranking in advance of us:)
    however I think Germany will do fine in the world cup! And you too!

bltleo
    GERMANY

25. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    no, as a Czech Republic NO

but Czechoslovakia played several times in the world cup..

the last time in 1990

the only experience with Czech team I have was following their performance in European cup....of course many czech players plays in Bundesliga or other
    european league (mostly in England and Italy)....

so for all these "old stars" like Nedved, Koller etc. is the world cup big challenge...Nedved was already best player in Europe (not sure in which year), Peter Cech is the best goalkeeper in the world, czech players plays in top european leagues ..but they never won world cup...and for Nedved it is probably the last chance to play in the world cup.....so maybe because of this they try to prepare for the world cup and do their best.....

so WC 2006 is their premiere:)

USA? Hm you already have big experience with the world cup.

remember 2002....if you had not lost to Germany (and I repeat you played better), maybe you would have played in finale that time.....we Germans used this chance....all big teams was out....so somehow we came into Finale:).....but you played very good in 2002.....since this time I have been
    fan of USMNT actually

bltleo
    GERMANY