Czech Republic at UEFA Euro 2020

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by adam CZ, May 3, 2021.

1. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    #401 ASU55RR, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    Someone found a camera angle that shows the ball on the corner grazing off Celustka's hand. So at least it seems we weren't ended by a bad call after all. I still fully believe such decisions should have VAR as an option.

We really need a new starting LB, more options at in the CB, a reliable 2nd striker option and more depth on the wing. From an attacking creativity standpoint we will have 2 options to solve it, keep a designated attacking midfielder like Barak in the midfield or use a 2nd striker position (ideally with Hlozek if he keeps improving), in the latter option we'd need both Soucek and Provod to be available as box-to-box players.

2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Darida announces his retirement from international play. I’m going to miss Darida. I remember him breaking through when our golden generation was in their twilight years and there was a ton of hype around Darida to become our next rosicky. Ended up being a very different player and had one great career. He should be proud.

I guess now we can retire this thread and go back to the Czech national team one.

ASU55RR repped this.
  3. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    In retrospect, I don't find this surprising, but Vladimir Darida has decided to retire from the National team. He cites wanting more time with family as a reason for a relatively early retirement, but it's also probably made easier by the emergence of a new generation of midfielder.

One of the hardest working players in football, I will always remember his role on the scrappy and unheralded 2012 Euro team that bounced back from a disastrous opening match against Russia. After massive disappointments in 2008 and 2010 that team showed our national team still at least had a pulse. He was the youngest member of that team, having only broken through at Plzen the prior season.

4. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I agree that this announcement should book-end this thread, any talk about next steps for the national team can go in the main thread.

5. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I’m somewhat disappointed about this news. I think Darida still has something to offer towards our World Cup pursuit, but have to respect his decision, especially when it’s motivated by family, which in the era of Covid I imagine has been difficult for any player.

He was consistently one of our best and hardest working players between 2012 (post Euros) and 2018 in a very difficult period for our national team. Even under Silhavy he was still a good player and an even better veteran presence to have in a relatively inexperienced team. A very respectable career he’s had for club and country.

I’m still holding out hope that he hasn’t closed the door on the national team completely, and would still return in the event of an injury crisis in midfield. Other players that could possibly retire from international football would be Vaclik (I really hope not) and Celustka.

6. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Darida is definitely still good enough to be in contention for minutes with the national team, but our midfield is loaded actually. Kral, Soucek, Barak, Sevcik, Provod, and Holes are all good longer terms options for that spot. Darida likely just wants his international breaks to be more relaxing. Can't blame him.

7. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Slavia take on Panathinaikos today in the Europa Conference League qualifier, I think to feel comfortable going into the away leg they need a 2 goal win. From a coefficient standpoint it is really important they don't fall out of Europe as Plzen now have a decent chance to make the Champions League (where they would make a lot of money, but need a very good draw to get any points). The winner of this tie will be highly favored in the playoff.

Slovacko also play in Europa League qualifying against Fenerbahce, which even if Turkish League isn't what it once was is certainly a tough ask. Conference League would be much more there level anyway, and they have a much better chance in the playoff for that than Europa League (although if they can do the unlikely and get past this round they will be guaranteed Conference League Group Stage)

8. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    HT

Slavia 1 - 0 Panithanaikos

Up until about 40 minutes this was the most uneventful match imaginable, then one of the Greek teams players went down a little too easily while already carrying a yellow card (honestly on replay I think it was more of slip than a dive) and suddenly Slavia have a real chance to put this away against a 10 man opponent. They already got one goal before halftime.

Fenerbahce 2 - 0 Slovacko

Slovacko really haven't been bad actually, they hit the post early and had a decent shout for a penalty when only behind one goal. I wouldn't say they deserve better though, this is what happens when a favored team that competes in Europe plays against a team with little European pedigree. Simply put the team that's been here before is converting their few chances while Slovacko isn't and that is the difference.

9. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Slovacko went down a man due to a fairly ridiculous officiating decision on an ball to hand contact in the middle of the field, so I think their strategy will just be damage limitation from here on.

The Slavia match on the other hand has gotten a bit wild, the match is now 10 v 10 although soon after losing a player of their own Slavia scored on their best attacking move of the match so far. If Slavia can add one more without conceding then I would say they are definitely through.

10. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    FT

Fenerbahce 3 - 0 Slovacko

The harsh sending off and the post hit meant that luck wasn't in Slovacko's favor, but frankly they are playing a much bigger club. I could see Slovacko getting a draw or 1-0 win in the return leg, which would give them a boost for the Conference League playoff where they are more at the level.

Slavia 2 - 0 Panathinaikos

Not decisive, but you certainly would rather be Slavia going into the 2nd leg. Not too sold on Trpisovsky's player selection today, he started with a very defensive lineup in a home match.