Czech national team [R]

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Canadian_Supporter, Aug 14, 2008.

1. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    So almost a month has gone by and still no official announcement.. however all indications still point to Hasek becoming our new manager (as early as tomorrow even).

The assistants are said to be Jaroslav Vesely (who would remain managing Bohemians) and Jaroslav Kostl (longtime assistant to Trpisovsky and would leave Slavia entirely).

Pavel Nedved was speculated to be taking on the role of manager, but the same source has now revealed that he rejected this offer today. I was surprised to see him even mentioned for consideration, didn’t think he’d be interested anyways.

My guess is that Vladimir Smicer could now return to the national team manager role after holding the position when Bilek was in charge.

Smicer and Hasek are also good friends, although to be fair, Hasek seems to be friends with everyone that has status in Czech football which is basically why he’s getting the job.

This could all come undone though given the sudden postponement of the last committee meeting where some reports suggested that Hasek was the only real candidate in play but still didn’t have enough passing votes..

2. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It’s official. Ivan Hasek has been appointed as our new manager. There’s no point in going into detail as to why this is an (obviously) underwhelming choice, so I’ll attempt to put a positive spin on it.

At least we’ll all finally get to witness Hasek with our own eyes after hearing his name mentioned amongst Czech coaches for the last decade.

To many including myself, he’s remained a mystery all this time, and I’m genuinely curious to see whether or not he’s up for the challenge and how his seemingly outdated (and arguably irrelevant) resume translates to the current day.

I did like that he put more emphasis on qualifying for the next World Cup and already labelled that a priority ahead of the Euros.

So yeah, as Danicek simply tweeted, “Let’s wait and see.”

3. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed... even though it was so predictable

I guess we have the element of surprise since nobody in Europe possibly knows or cares what the hell Hasek's been doing since 2008.

4. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    While Hasek isn’t inspiring confidence, our assistants do sound promising. Mostly Kostl anyways, who many believe is the best assistant in the country and will eventually become a head coach.

For a 34 year-old assistant, he does have an impressive resume, one that goes back nearly a decade alongside Trpisovsky since the very beginning at Viktoria Zizkov. No short of knowledge and excellent guidance there.

Some are suggesting that Kostl and Vesely will do much of the tactical preparation and inside management while Hasek will be more of a figurehead whose first and most critical task will be repairing team morale.

5. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    We’ve been drawn into the Eastern European group for the next edition of the Nations League: Ukraine, Albania, and Georgia.

A tough group, but good preparation for World Cup qualifiers next year. We’ll need to make considerable improvements to finish better than third. Albania again. Yikes.

We’ve actually never played Georgia before in our history, so happy to draw them for that reason. That being said, they aren’t exactly pushovers anymore and can easily surprise us.

The format has been changed so that we can still be promoted into League A even if we finish as runners up (a new expanded promotion playoff has been introduced).

Of course, winning the group will guarantee us promotion and will also help with securing a World Cup playoff spot.