Czech League football 2016 and on

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by ASU55RR, Aug 29, 2016.

1. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Vrba receives a yellow... not sure I've ever known of a match where both managers received a caution in completely separate incidences.

2. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    FT Sparta 2 (3) - Rapid 0 (2)

Sparta are now guaranteed at least Europa League group stages, and will take on Monaco in the next round of qualifying.

While they didn't play today, Jablonec learned their opponent in Europa League qualifying will be Celtic.

3. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

Another meme-worthy photo of Vrba and probably the best side-by-side representation of all things Sparta.

They deserved to win yesterday, albeit another scrappy and frustrating game to watch at times. It was actually their goal scorers (Pesek and Karlsson) who I found to be quite wasteful offensively.

Not that Pesek was bad per se, but he did spoil many attacking plays between misplacing passes or just having the ball knocked off him. I think much of the praise he’s receiving is influenced from being a new signing that had an immediate impact.

The hope now is that Hojer isn’t seriously injured or else that’s another bust of a signing. In addition to Sadilek, I do feel Sparta need another solid fullback (Mateju?) even if Hojer isn’t absent for any extended period.

4. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yeah, I was very unimpressed by Sparta's attack over two legs (especially yesterday when Rapid were just hopeless in possession and Sparta should have put them away easy), the chemistry is lagging behind the talent.

I was always a fan of Dockal's ability but he is just passed it physically, he has the technique to contribute on set-pieces but nothing else. Pavelka is also post-peak and kind redundant with Krejci II in midfield; Sacek looked like an improvement.

I'm also not sold on Hlozek as a lone striker, I think they would probably be best to put him at the top of midfield behind a true striker (Julis?). Alternatively they could put Karabec behind him to at least create more support in creating space (don't think any defense is really feeling the need to cover a Dockal "run").

I do think Pesek and Karlsson provide more individual dynamism than their other wingers.

It's kind of weird to think that Krejci, Dockal and Pavelka could be struggling to keep starting spots this season considering they were key national team members in relatively recent memory.

5. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    So Bilek seems to have taken the captains armband away from Brabec (and given it to Hejda), a one-off choice or a hint of something to come?

Also, why the hell don't Plzen start Ba Loua? He's easily their most dangerous attacking player and outside of probably being the best non-Slavic foreign speaker of Czech in the league Kayamba isn't that interesting.

Additionally, if you don't plan on using Pachlopnik, kindly return to sender.

6. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Goal Plzen

Kayamba chips the keeper on a simple break, while I don't retract my statement re: Ba Loua, I will give credit for the technique.

7. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I thought it felt odd that Belarus would be so far into evening at this hour in summer, and it turns out the match is actually taking place in Armenia due to the poltical and pandemic crises in Belarus. Also explains the lack of crowd, not sure why they picked such a far off location though, Poland would have made more sense.

Anyway, I think Plzen are more less through at this point with a 2 goal aggregate lead, but one more insurance goal would completely put it to rest.

8. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I tuned into the Plzen game and thought I was watching a replay of a preseason friendly. This Conference League is going to be… different.

I think either scenario is fairly realistic. It could just be a change of captaincy because of a new(ish) coach starting a fresh season and I will say, I’ve always felt that Hejda is one of the more under appreciated players in the league.

I really wonder what team would actually be interested in Brabec right now (maybe it’s Steaua Bucharest), unless Plzen plan to dump him off for cheap.

9. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Plzen probably won’t be as bad as I initially thought if everyone is healthy and remains (specifically Kalvach and Bucha), but Bilek has already made a few questionable lineup decisions in his tenure that I’m still not entirely sold on them.

10. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I think Group stages of Conference League will be a decent level for teams involved, but these qualifiers definitely feel more like pre-season camp.

Aside from the goal the only big occurrence was Beauguel being injured (again).

I think Plzen have the talent for 3rd place, but the difference is they no longer have the talent to challenge for a title.

11. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    50-50 on if I think Slovacko can do it today, they were the better team away despite the final score but they really lack a proven goal scorer without Kliment.

Even if they advance, it's very hard to imagine them getting past Kobenhaven in the next round.

12. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Watching a European fixture be played in Uherske Hradiste, crazy times. Much more of competitive fixture atmosphere than the Plzen exile in Armenia.

13. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I almost feel that returning to a 3-5-2 would fix this. The Hlozek - Julis duo was so dominant in the brief spell they had last season. Not to mention you could play Weisner or Vindheim (preferably the former) in a more suitable wingback role. You’d even have the option of playing Krejci II in defence for a more dynamic midfield player (Sacek or eventually maybe Sadilek).

Not realistic at all under Vrba though, so before changing formation, I’d also play Karabec instead of Dockal. A young, all left-footed midfield of Sadilek - Krejci II - Karabec could be great.

They certainly do and are good players on their day, but that individualism can be a real downside when they’re misfiring (like Karlsson has thus far apart from converting penalties). Also a reason to not play a 3-5-2, but I’m sure one could play in a front two if need be.

I think it mostly highlights how much our player pool has improved (in those positions) since then. Also a reminder of how much better their rivals became in that period.

14. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Plovdiv seem to have picked up on this as well, sitting very deep and letting Slovacko pass the ball around while only breaking when they seen opportunity.

15. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Goal Slovacko! Lovely first time finish by Danicek breaking into the box unmarked.

I now would say they are favorites as Plovdiv are not very dangerous when they have to play.

Edit: and a the same time Plzen get the insurance goal.

16. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Does the abysmal Nations League match against Ukraine under Jarolim count? I guess not if we’re talking club football, but those were also crazy times. :D

It’s otherwise a nice little stadium that always has a very well taken care of pitch from what I’ve seen.

17. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I’m no longer able to watch either game, so hopefully these current results stand and both teams advance.

In for a very very busy next week if so.

18. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Let's just agree that match never happened.

It is a nice little stadium, nice town too, and great to hear fans again.

19. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Plovdiv is holding on for dear life, Slovacko applying lots of pressure, but their missing the bit of quality up front (Cicilia is not impressing in these fixtures).

20. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Slovacko have out-shot their opponent by over 15 attempts, and yet still just the one goal as we are in extra time.

21. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Slovacko's finishing has carried over into penalties, they've failed to convert their first 3 and are about to be knocked out.

22. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    FT Slovacko 1 (1) - Plovdiv 0 (1) (2-3 on penalties)

Slovacko should never have let this get to penalties, and definitely should have done better. At least they grabbed some Coefficient points on the way out.

23. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Teplice 1 - 3 Slavia was a surprisingly fun match from the headlines, Slavia still missing several players but their new signing Ivan Schranz netted a hattrick and Oscar Dorley (who is rapidly improving all last season) chipped in two assists.

I was always impressed by Schranz at C.Budejovice and Jablonec, but there were many that questioned if he would hack it at the Slavia level. One match against Teplice is hardly telling, but a promising start.

Kolar was kind of a disaster, he got caught doing his "I'm going to show off skills" routine leading to the Teplice goal.

24. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Wow, Liberec 0 - 5 Sparta. Hlozek seemed to have his confidence back and Karabec and Soucek added a lot of energy to the increasingly sluggish usual midfield.That's 3 players 20 years and younger making an impact.

Not sure what Liberec's plan is this year, they seem to be playing Selassie (who picked up a red-card) in central midfield.... despite his long decorated career as a right-back.

Also not a promising sign that Jablonec got 3 put passed them by Mlada Boleslav ahead of their start of Europa League qualification.

25. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I wouldn’t be surprised if a team placed a bid for both Hlozek and Karabec. It’s too bad we usually have to wait 60+ minutes to watch the latter. The only downside to Sparta starting him is that they won’t keep him for long.

Also shoutout to Filip Panak who made his first league start in nearly three years. I was very impressed with his skillset on the ball and alongside Hancko forms arguably the most elegant centreback pairing ever in the Czech league.

It must be said that Liberec were terrible and I suspect that Hoftych will be the first (notable) manager dismissed this season. Unless a loan army comes marching in, they’re in trouble.

Hojer is apparently set to miss the next 4-5 months. Terrible news for him. A great opportunity for a young Polidar to emerge as a potential international in that position, although I expect Hancko will play there against tougher European opposition.