Cutting back on Foreign players

Discussion in 'Germany' started by THOMA GOL, Oct 21, 2004.

1. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The proposal

I'd say this is a good thing for the Top league and for the BIGGER picture, the success of the German National Team.

2. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea I'd love for this to happen.

3. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bad for clubs like Wolfsburg or 96, and bad for the BuLi picture overall, since Americans only really get interested when an American plays (look at the 96 and Mainz hypes, which is a good thing though imo), same with oriental asians (Japan, S korea)...
    At the other hand good for the National team, but I would not worry to much about it, I think the regulations are just fine the way they are, will increase the number of foreign ppl getting german or EU nationality. I din't think it's neccessairy since germans talents are getting better and there are coming more (just look at the national squad's line up vs Iran)

4. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    There is plenty of young talent coming through, so the panic seems a bit far fetched by the DFB if you ask me. As for SouthAmericans, how many have gotten around this by claiming a European heritage of some sorts and getting a European passport to add to their Brazilian/Argentinian one? There was a scandal a while ago in Serie A, due to fake passports being held by SouthAmericans, and such action will just lead players to take this route in order to play in European leagues, including the Bundesliga.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    All this does is increase the number of Eastern Europeans in the Bundesliga.

6. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Which is already the case. Anyway with the expansion of the EU with another 10 EasternEuropean nations, even less need permits from there.

All said and done, football is a business and it down to the clubs individually to decide the best strategy for themselves first. If they feel they should work together, that is also for them to decide. But if there is the talent, it will show itself no matter the situation.

As another way of viewing this influx of 'foreign' players, a friend of mine who is English and supports a lower division team said what has happened with the boom of the Premier League and the flood of 'imported' players, is that the standard of football played in the lower leagues has improved. Due to fewer domestic players getting the opportunity at the top clubs.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    Agreed, clubs think about themselves only because success equals money.

I would think this theory on lower leagues perfoming better only applies to England as it is much more competitive even without the foreigners compared to Germany as there are more professionals players.

I could be wrong though.

8. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a good idea to limit non-EU players. Spain and Italy limit non-EU players to 3, I believe. The BL has probably gone too far in bringing in foreign talent, while not emphasizing on the club youth systems enough. The scale needs to tip back the other way a bit, and a very moderate limitation like the one being proposed might help.

9. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I think its 5 in Spain.

10. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I generally like the idea of the limits because it would force homegrown talent to at least have a chance. Plus it seems to succeed pretty well in other countires where there is not as much foriegners.

But a concern is that if German teams did this, would'nt that put them at a disadvantage if other leagues did not follow a similar path? To avoid the slipepry slope scenario, what if other leagues soon became a haven for the talent denied a place in the Bundesliga and those leagues would benefit from the larger influx.

All in all I think its good. Also it would mean the foriegn leagues, like south america, would not always be raided for their star talent.

11. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    I'm sure with limits more own talents came up.

My Limit is 3 foreign players.

OK, you say Schalke do in all other way, but when the limit is, Schalke and all the others must handle with german Players.