Current roster, most improved?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by filfc, Jan 25, 2008.

1. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TFC tried relying on washed-up English players last year. So they might as well rely on draft picks this year.

2. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Considering how little Beckham actually played, you should problem include him as a "new player" as well.

Though going from Cannon to Cronin may be a huge, huge loss, we'll have to wait and see.

3. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    We lost 3 forwards and only have Ching up front all alone. We are in big trouble if we don't get a top notch forward.

4. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RBNY hasn't made any big roster moves, yet. Mostly just trimming the fat. Without Schopp Watereus and Quaranta's salaries they should be able to bring a quality player or two. JCO has mentioned that he knows who he wants to bring in but so far has done little.

5. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I think the FIFA transfer window closes next Thursday. I assume that there will be very little foreign transfers coming in that you haven't already at least heard a rumor about. I think there has been an Argentine and a Colombian rumored to NYRB hasn't there?

6. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but the rumors have mostly been Osorio saying he's looking in S. America for players. Other than that there haven't been any names thrown around, except for Gallardo, but we've since found that wasn't that serious.

7. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    What about Luis Cabezas? We have a teammate of his coming to RSL (Jamilson Olave) and I had read that it sounded like Cabezas was going to RB. Is this one dead as well?

8. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, there's been little mention of him in the last week or so. There's also been rumor of Martin Liguera, but I've only seen MLS Rumors cited as the source of this rumor, and they cite a Univision sports page, so who's to say how much truth there is to this. RBNY is known for keeping things quite, so I'm not surprised to hear so little, I'd just like to know we're making progress.

9. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    The window for transfers coming in to MLS goes until April 15. (I think. Maybe it's March 31)

Either way, there's a lot of time left to bring in players.

10. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    True, but this is the MLS transfer window, not the FIFA window. As I understand it, when these things are done you have to consider the set of rules for the league they are coming into, and the set of rules for the league that they are leaving. This really depends on the situation, and who holds the rights (if any). I think if you look back to last season - 90%+ of the players coming into the league came either during the January or summer (July?) transfer period.

11. EdsonArantes

EdsonArantes Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Barra Brava
    On paper (if all the signings materialize), and my bias aside, DCU is to be most improved so far...even with all the losses.

I think losing Perkins but gaining Wells and Carvallo is about an even trade.

Losing Boswell but gaining Martinez (who has 36 caps for Colombia) is an improvement. We also gain depth with Peralta.

We lost Carroll in Mid but, gained Niell at forward at a bargain.

We lost Gros, but he didnt contribute as much last season anyway.

We lost Gomez, but on paper, Gallardo (44 caps for Argentina, 14 goals) should be Gomez-plus.

Of course, I haven't seen one of these players play, hence why I said on paper.

12. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    From a distance and not knowing as much about the situation as you do - I am skeptical.

Perkins was HUGE for you guys last year. I think this is a big loss even though you picked up two decent keepers (you can only play one at a time).

I'll give you Neill, as I don't know much about the situation.

I think although Gallardo is coming in with a strong pedigree, don't underestimate the value that Gomez has provided. I know he had a down year last year, but this may still prove to be a significant loss. This may be more of an even trade-out to a slight positive. I get the sense that most DCU fans are assuming this will be a huge plus (and it could be), but it was only 2 years ago that Gomez was an MVP player. I think the reason he is being replaced is more contractual than it is his actual performance.

In summary, I'm inclined to believe that you maybe held ground or made a slight improvement, rather than taking a huge step forward. Fortunately you had a good team to begin with.

BTW - where does Gonzalo Martinez fit in? You did land him didn't you?

13. EdsonArantes

EdsonArantes Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Barra Brava
    I agree with all that, I actually thought Gomez had a good year last year...just not an MVP year. Gonzalo Martinez should be a lock for one CB, with Peralta/Mctavish fighting for the other CB. Vanney probably won't return but if he does, that is added depth.

My basis for DC being most improved is...slight loss in Goal, upgrade (again, I haven't seen any of the new guys, but based on what I've heard) on defense (which we so badly needed), even trade in midfield, maybe even slight improvement, and definite improvement at forward with a third goal scorer who found the net in a strong league.