NSR: Current Events thread

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by NotreDameFlamengo, Nov 17, 2012.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep. That describes NC pretty well. Raleigh and Charlotte are good places to raise families in terms of security and cost of living (and commute). Life is pretty easy here but can be unexciting. You need to really dig to find activities. Raleigh has grown quite a bit lately but sometimes it's tough to tell because much of it is suburban. Although downtown has been improving with some new businesses moving there. It's a slow change.

As for food I agree that the food (and the food service industry for that matter) is not very good here. But I've yet to eat a pizza up north where I've seen that huge of a difference. I assume you're talking about NY style pizza and not gourmet pizza (like a brick oven Margherita pizza type like you find at Tonys in San Francisco if you've been there:D). But in terms of pizza we all know Sao Paulo has the best anyways :D ... the pizza at Braz Pizzaria is simply amazing.

If you get a job paying in dollars living in Sao Paulo, your money will go a long way right now. I'd love to go back, but everybody who's there wants to get out. Even the people with money.

2. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I've been to Tony's. Great Pizza. There is also a cafe nearby that sells the best cannolis but I can't remember the name.

I find the pizza in the northeast a lot better than the south and out west, and a lot easier to find a decent place. Neapolitan style or NY style. The places that are "NY Pizza" or "Joe's New York Style" or fill the cliche are never anything like the real NY style pizza you'd find in NY, NJ, or in PA. I don't understand it.

The only good pizza I've found in the Triangle is Pizzeria Toro in Durham, in fact I think its really good. There are a couple other places in the triangle that make "tasty" pizza but I don't classify it as real pizza, more the gourmet type with loads of toppings and thick crust.

I'll be honest, pizza in brasil disappointed me. I'm more of traditionalist and minimalist. So the brazilian style of loading up pizzas (and other foods :D) with every kind of topping imaginable puts me off.

3. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    And talking about cities and differences, the biggest thing I miss is going to neighborhood food places where the family owns it and they are still the ones that do the cooking or making the pizzas. That does not exist in Raleigh and its sad. Everything is either a chain and has kids working in the kitchen or the place is grossly expensive. I miss going to the hoagie and pizza places or small restaurants that have been in the neighborhood since I was born and still have the same people making the food. Even Philly is starting to lose this in today's age, but its nothing like the south.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  4. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pretty much why I love NYC pizza. The difference between the food quality between a family restaurant and chain is huge.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I live in suburbia out here and pretty much everything is a chain. There are a couple of no name joints, but the quality is piss poor. You have to go into DC to get any mom and pop stuff.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's cool. I though that was pretty good Pizza. The place nearby that sells the "famous" focaccia bread (Liguria) seemed a bit of a scam though. It was just bread.

Can't I've had the real NY pizza. Let me know of a few places and I may try it when I go back to NY some day.

Toro is pretty good. Just not crazy about the toppings combinations they have and lack of selection.

Pizza in Brasil is different than pizza in Sao Paulo :D I sound bairrista but it's true. You don't need to have all the toppings there. The 4 cheese pizza in Brazil for example for me is unbeatable with catupiry, mozzarela, parmesan, and gorgonzola. Next time you're in Sao Paulo go to this place. A pizza will drop you R$75-80 but it's good. And with the dollar at 4, ain't so bad.

http://www.brazpizzaria.com.br/fora-de-serie/11

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There are some but they can be pretty hard to find. For Italian Nina's in North Raleigh is locally owned and pretty decent. It can be hit or miss depending if the owner is there or not. They don't over garlic everything like many restaurants. Unless lots of garlic is your thing. I have a Brazilian friend who owns an Italian restaurant in Chapel Hill and it's pretty decent. It's called Tarantini. Hard to find too. But it's not an old restaurant.

8. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    about nyc pizza here are my suggestions. Bronx, 1.Morris Park Pizzeria, Napoli's Best Pizza, New Yankee Sk Pizza, all these places are around 2$ a slice and I used to frequent them a lot when I lived there.
    Brooklyn, Best pizza, Roberta's in Bushwick, Grimaldi's , Original Pizza

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'll have to see if I can try any of those places next time since I never had any legit NY pizza. Usually when I go to NY, I satisfy my Brazilian food craving as I'm deprived of it here. They have an awesome self serve in Astoria that I always go to.

10. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What's it called?

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Villa Brazil Cafe

12. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ts-divisive-quotas-deal-share-120000-refugees

Anyone know anything about Spain? Idk why they'd have a quota of 12k or 14k I couldn't find the figure in the story i'm just curious how that is sustainable since they already get a lot of immigration due to location and that they always seem to have a 20% unemployment. Seems like Germany is backing off it's claims of taking in all comers already. I also wonder how they will force the refugees and migrants to stay in a place like Hungary or Czech republic who obviously doesn't want them there. The refugees also don't want to live there lol One said yesterday that if he wasn't allowed in Germany or the Uk he would take his family with his disabled son back to Syria.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd say the countries using Syria as proxy war should take in the immigrants.

14. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #114 Emperor Adriano, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    I don't think they'd fancy Russia too much. They now have troops on the ground as we speak.

15. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  16. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Lawsonishere, if you think this is bad, you should see videos on Youtube about the way refugees have acted in Europe. Not all, obviously, but vandalism has happened in the western European nations which have received refugees as well as immigrants. Violence in Scandinavian nations – in these, I’ve seen videos in which some kids had never even been to school and now they are going to have to need Arabic-speaking teachers in Scandinavia.

Lawsonishere, you were born in the United States. How do you personally feel about this? Because you can bet this: however much the people of Brazil are viewed as warm, friendly, hospitable, kind, quick to really befriend you… if foreigners did this there, the reaction would not be all nice. I would even go as far as to say that due to political correctness (which is nothing but cultural Marxism), the US, Canada, and western European nations are going to further be taken advantage of by peoples from countries who would NEVER tolerate such behavior from expatriate American/Canadian/German, etc. communities.

I maintain my cultural habits… in summer you’ll see me grilling with Brazilian skewers (espetos)… I’ll have picanha, fraldinha, costela, and I’ll be drinking guaraná. But I’m not going to demand that September 7th be a holiday here. Granted, September 7th is Brazil’s Independence Day, not a religious holiday. But the point is made. I moved to America; I learned about American history and culture and traditions, and I respect all of these. I don’t go around demanding others cave in to my own personal cultural background.

samuel_clemens repped this.
  17. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #117 Emperor Adriano, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    I agree completely and i'm sure you'd welcome a non Brazilian to break bread with you, can't say the same about a Muslim at this point. I hate to generalize but it's just how I feel. We are seeing right and extreme right parties making gains in europe that would have been impossible years ago because this issue is a legit problem.
    I have seen some of the clips and it's rather sickening, the thing that gets me most is the entitlement they have, demanding Germany or they'll go home, it's hard for me to have sympathy for them. I can't imagine if they did this in Brazil, i'm sure they would be humbled accordingly. I like to think I have a high tolerance and I wouldn't say I am Mr Patriotic or rah rah american but i'm starting to see why people are like that. It bothers me that jewish people don't demand their holidays celebrated even with their contribution yet a bunch of Muslim's are demanding it lol. The lady was right, they will be the majority in that area because normal people don't want to live around them. The sad thing is the people demanding it are too uneducated to understand how much planning goes into a school year and it's not like we call Christmas vacation or Easter break what they are anymore, we just called them winter and spring break here. I have never been annoyed by an immigrant or person of any kind of religion my whole life and I pretty much live in a dumping spot of refugees but at a certain point I always feel like in the back of their mind Muslims don't respect me or have tolerance for my AMERICAN lifestyle that I lead. In Europe they piss and moan about the way woman dress and god forbid if they dance and have sex, it's getting old.. I honestly wonder if Muslims can be happy anywhere. Everything is islamaphobia if anyone non Muslim speaks out about it, that bothers me also. Even a liberal like Bill Maher gets badgered and thrown to a media execution for suggesting that this Muslim integration thing isn't working., especially in Europe. A lot of people who try to shame me for my opinions never have lived in a big city or even a small city with any sort of immigration. I don't care if a family comes here from El Salvador and doesn't learn a lick of English or watch anything other than tv in Spanish, I still feel like we have plenty in common. For all the hate on hispanic immigrants legal and illegal most end up learning English too. I'm on a little bit of a rant but I really feel like immigrants make this country better, I just can't by into this Muslim ass licking. I guess we all can't be Churchill's, a lot of very intelligent people are Chamberlain's, I don't blame them in this politically correct media age. You say one wrong thing, you lose a job. Like you said above there is only so much we can cave and eventually people have to meet you half way.

samuel_clemens and StarrMatthieu repped this.
  18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

The problem with political correctness is that any criticism, even if moderate and politely worded, is almost always tagged as a demonstration of bigotry, and nobody wants to be openly known as a bigot or as a racist.

Back when you and I were hostile to each other, I at times referred to you as a "young man." The reason I'm mentioning this is: you are (I assume) too young to remember the 1990s, but I remember that time very well. That's when I went from adolescence to young adulthood. I guarantee you this, Lawson: it was not like this then. I can tell you from what I vividly remember, from what I saw on TV sitcoms, and the general atmosphere in US society, that things have become very different in a very short period of time - less than 20 years. In a way, it's hard to believe that the mid-late 1990s are already 20 years in the past. But just as the world was technologically far different (a fledgling Internet, no smartphones, etc), the culture was different. Gay marriage was taboo and illegal aliens were nowhere as brazen as they are now.

I've never lived in Europe, so I can't say I know what "mainstream" white Europeans feel with these recent news, but I bet they aren't happy. As you and I agree, many Brazilians would not tolerate this. Why would Americans or western Europeans?

Be proud of your country, Lawson. America isn't perfect but it's a damn great and awesome place to live in. My parents knew this and this is why they brought me here (legally, with immigration visas, with interviews in US consulates in Brazil when I was a child, to the day I became a naturalized US citizen).

19. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    why doesn't Saudi arabia Iran take refugees?!
    how about United Arab Emirates or Qatar,Bahrain,Kuwait, lol there all rich they need workers they should get the Refugees !

20. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Yup.. At least a couple of Brazilians here get it. I see that most dipshits on facebook congratulating Merkel and the EU on this altruistic and humanitarian effort. LMAO

Emperor Adriano and StarrMatthieu repped this.
  21. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Vote for Marine Le Pen brother. :)

Just halting the flow of mass immigration wouldn't be enough to prevent destruction at this point, if current birth trends continue Europeans will be minorities in their own countries within few decades. Non Euros ought to be kicked out. Juris solis birthright citizenship ought to be revoked.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  22. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Reason why minorities never assimilate in a nutshell:

Asians are the most economically successful as well as the most conservative demographic in the United States. Why they vote Democrat? Because "micro-aggressions"... these people dont realize they are getting duped by left wing race hustlers. Oh Cant stand these micro aggressive whites so lets vote for the party whose endgame is to flood every western country with muslim immigrants. Brilliant.

23. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    People don't go bigger picture on this issue. Anyone who does is labeled a racist. I just kind of stopped caring because of what you said in a different post. The birth rate differences between non muslims and Muslims in Europe is just too high at a certain point.

samuel_clemens and StarrMatthieu repped this.
  24. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  25. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So western media is making it out that if western countries send ground troops to Syria it will stop events like this lol. They are so far behind in the race they think they are ahead.

samuel_clemens repped this.